thoughts on soy? - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Izzo View Post
And how about another one? The low carb religion? I can't tell you how many people believe it it. I bought into that years ago and was afraid of carbs for years, thinking it would make me fat.

But then now doing a low fat diet similar to 13 weeks, I realize low fat works way better! And I actually have read plenty of data that shows why it works better. But I was afraid to try it before because I thought I couldn't handle the carbs. Its nonsense. I eat more carbs now and it revs up my metabolism so I can continue to burn more fat. And I feel much better off it too.
I just figured this out about 4 weeks ago... I was in a low-carb mindset for the past, like 2-3 years...

But lately I've been eating more of a just-eat-whole-foods diet. I don't care whether they're carbs or not... although I do tend to lean away from starchy carbs(except for my morning oats), and stick to the legumes and squashes and such.

Point is, I've been doing a low-fat, moderate-carb diet for 4 weeks and have seen excellent results- and my energy level is a lot better than it was while I was low-carb.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:07 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

my thoughts on soy hmmmm *burns soy while screaming adios mother***ker* pretty much sums it up to be honest
Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 PM
adenine is recharging.
Bantamweight

What would you guys say about a soy derived product that I supplement with? I'm currently using lecithin granules to help with focus and concentration and it really helps. A serving of the product provides 10g of Non-GMO lecithin. I'd really hate to give up the product because of any negative effects of soy in the long run.
We know that we'll never walk alone..." - Thrice
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
gr0undz3r0 is old and out of shape
Lightweight

Soy = Bad for Test.
Quote:
Dietary soy-phytoestrogens decrease testosterone levels and prostate weight without altering LH, prostate 5alpha-reductase or testicular steroidogenic acute regulatory peptide levels in adult male Sprague-Dawley rats
http://joe.endocrinology-journals.or...ract/170/3/591
/end of story

Last edited by gr0undz3r0; 12-27-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Jinx5000 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr0undz3r0 View Post
Soy = Bad for Test.

[
how much soy are we talking about? because normally in lab tests the rats consume ridiculous amounts of whatever they are testing (in this case soy).

realistically in the human body, is there a minimum limit where soy begins to be bad for test levels, or is there proof that any soy at all reduces test, and by how much?

just out of curiosity, not trying to challenge you or come off as defensive.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Lightweight

Im gonna turn the tides and ask you -
Why are you so bent on taking it when there might be unwanted side effects, AND there are 100 better options?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Middleweight

i rarely take soy, the only time i consume it is on occasion when i eat edamame or those soy baked chips.

i have real meat all meals, and pwo supplement with whey, pre bed do casein or cottage cheese.

i'm just wondering about the effects of soy with rare consumption and if it's anything to worry about

i don't seek to include soy in my diet, but sometimes i crave a snack and find those two ideas to be good ideas for snacks
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Lightweight

Well thats good. For edamame since its such an epic little bean I would imagine its ok - keep it limited thought, but the soy baked chips - trash them, eat potatoes IF YOU MUST eat chips. Or veggie chips. Oven backed - thinly sliced sweet potatoes are a winner as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Middleweight

ok cool, thanks. i've got some good recipes for sweet potato chips too. i'll start doing that. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:32 PM
steelseal should change his/her status!
Rookie

Question - Is anything known about the different soy derivatives. For example, soy proteins are not absorbed as well as other proteins and I believe block protein absorption. What about the effects of soy lecithin? Lecithin is a fat? Are the effects known? I'm trying to remain soy-free, especially after reading the articles linked above. Should that include avoiding the lecithin? I ask because it is used in 90% of labeled foods.