thoughts on soy? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Jinx5000 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default thoughts on soy?

What is everyone's opinion about consuming food products with soy protein?

i'm not talking about eating tofu every day or even consuming soy every day. I am more concerned with peoples thoughts of eating a handful of edamame seeds every so often, baked soy crisps in place of potato chips, or the occasional tofu in that random soup you eat?

i don't make it a habit to eat soy, but i'm not so stressed about making sure i don't consume any of it. i don't really see any harm in consuming small amounts of soy infrequently and wanted to see what other people thought.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
slimjim7 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Hi!

I recently listened to an mp3 where it said that soy is dangerous for humans.
The only soy products which are okay is miso (sp?).

I would try to avoid it. I will try to find this mp3 again then you could also listen to it.

I found it. You can download it here:

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...=1130091349448

You don't have to register just click on later and it will download. The soy part starts at: 50:10

Last edited by slimjim7; 12-09-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
DaveLin is clean bulking without bisquick
Lightweight

i personally think that the affects of having a some edamame at a sushi restraunt, or some soy nuts occasionally would be very slim. Soy , or even soy oil, can be found in so many foods now, it'd be quite an effort to avoid it altogether, with not much benefit since there are both those for/against it.

i'd say if you want to rid something entirely then consider trans-fats, something that is indisputably/egregiously bad for you
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

From what I read, soy is not good for you, but it isn't a problem if you eat some here and there. The problems I hear are from people who eat it all the time and as a main staple in their diet. Its a bad move.

From what I hear soy products were pushed at some point in time as some sort of healthy food. And stupid people bought into the idea. But honestly, have you ever had a soy product that you thought was great? Tofu is garbag!

There are many other foods that you can eat in order to get plenty of protein from. Even if you were a vegetarian, you can get protein from all sorts of other beans and rice.

So I guess if you have some food made from soy that like occasionally, go for it. But don't let it be a staple!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

a lecture from a church... really.... really.... ?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Jinx5000 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Izzo View Post

From what I hear soy products were pushed at some point in time as some sort of healthy food. And stupid people bought into the idea. But honestly, have you ever had a soy product that you thought was great? Tofu is garbag!
As i mentioned previously, i enjoy eating a handful of edamame seeds eery now and then, as well as those soy crisp's that come in all different flavors; they are a like rice cakes, just made with soy flour. and some cereals like kashi and others use soy protein in their cereals which can often be quite good.
i'm not a fan of tofu at all, but the products i'm talking about aren't that bad at all
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootb33r View Post
Haha! I take it I read some biased misinformation? If that is correct, then how gullible am I? Very! Come to think of it, if I were to guess without have heard that before, and soy is a legume just like black beans and peas, I can't see how it could be bad for you.

It would not surprise me if people made up the idea that soy is bad just in order to sell more whey. After all, whey is dirt cheap, pushed like it is the best thing in the world, yet prices are said to be rising?

And then you have a lot of guys who believe that protein from meat is more complete and it digests better. Well, it may digest slower; I'm not sure. But some vegetable proteins have a greater biological value than meats.

Just goes to show, you have to do your own research and get all the facts.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootb33r View Post
And how about another one? The low carb religion? I can't tell you how many people believe it it. I bought into that years ago and was afraid of carbs for years, thinking it would make me fat.

But then now doing a low fat diet similar to 13 weeks, I realize low fat works way better! And I actually have read plenty of data that shows why it works better. But I was afraid to try it before because I thought I couldn't handle the carbs. Its nonsense. I eat more carbs now and it revs up my metabolism so I can continue to burn more fat. And I feel much better off it too.

I wrote about this on another site. I wrote the reasons (based on my own experience and the literature I have read) why low carb diets are showing better results with helping overweight people to lose weight and get more healthy. The simple answer, I think, is that its much easier for them to follow because they obviously don't know anything about proper nutrition so they can't differentiate between carbs from good sources and carbs from bad sources. Drop carbs down real low and the problem is solved. But I don't think it is the best; I have seen the literature and research and I have the results in my own life to show for it. Low carb dieting worked for me, but it didn't get me as lean as I am now; low fat did.

But anyways, a few guys argued my points and claimed there was countless literature that supports how great low carb diets work. The problem with that in reality is, give me some money and hire me to do research to support your cause, and I will be sure to find it.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

My lab has done a lot of research and compared soy to wheat, eggs, and whey. With 16% protein diets, soy does not significantly increase protein synthesis postprandially; neither does wheat. Whereas Whey and Egg do. Two mechanisms are higher leucine contents of whey and egg. But also, we showed that soy increases AMPK; which inhibits the mTOR pathway and protein synthesis.

Chronically our soy rats are significantly smaller than the rats on our other diets. They have about the same fat mass as whey and egg; but a lot less muscle.

From other labs I have seen studies show that it may decrease testosterone.

Benefit is that AMPK does promote leanness and enhance insulin sensitivity.

But you can increase AMPK with other methods - principally exercise. And without the other side effects.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:28 AM
DLR is tired
Bantamweight

here's a link I posted recently. I wouldn't recommend using soy. Maybe occasionally

http://www.menshealth.com/men/nutrit...10000013281eac