ATG or parallel squats? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

Default ATG or parallel squats?

Just wondering how people on here do their squats, as i hear some people religiously do ATG some people say there is no need to go past parallel. So members of ABC how low do you go?

Last edited by Ellingham; 12-04-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

ATG all the way. The greater ROM recruits additional muscles that do not get hit nearly as hard as just going parallel. It seems to be a myth that going past parallel causes a higher risk of injury. Plus from what I hear it might actually be safer to go deep rather than not.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

ATG. That will build the muscles better for bodybuilding.

Powerlifters and strongman competitors are the ones who should be spending more time with squats just below parallel, because thats how they will be performing the lift in competition.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM
mmmdonuts should change his/her status!
Rookie

go as deep as your hamstrings will allow... stop before your lower back starts to round. if you can't go ATG then work on your hamstring flexibility!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Jinx5000 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

one thing to always be cautious of when doing ATG is ur menisci. ATG squats place a lot of unnecessary strain on your ACL and menisci which can become problematic over time. just something to keep an eye out for when training.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Knee and back problems are caused by going too low or equally too high in the squat, just below parallel is safe as it allows for the hamstrings, spinae erectors, abs and glutes to remain tight and places the knee joint under no stress whatsoever, if done correctly.
Might be worth looking on youtube. Dave tate from westside and mark rippetoe have some good form videos out.
personally i do them as these 2 above describe just below parallel.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 PM
DaveLin is clean bulking without bisquick
Lightweight

ATG works really well for me on smith machine squats where I plaec my legs considerably farther in front of me than a regular squat. kinda feels like a hack squat with legs high on the pad.

ATG for regular squats is tough for me probably because I haven't developed teh balance muscles required. To ATG on regular squat, I have to sit backwards, and i don't feel comfortable wtih tons of weight.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

This is an interesting subject, because I always feel like I am going lower than I actually am. Video taping lifts really helps because then you can see what type of depth you get, also box squatting helps to develop consistency. I thought I was a deep squatter about one year ago, but then I started video taping and realizing that I was just hitting parallel, and sometimes I was even slightly missing parallel.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

My knees tend to pop if I go past 90, then my knees are sore for a couple days. Front squats I can go really deep without my knees popping.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 12-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Ordo Ab Chao is SHEIKO
Lightweight

ATG squats are popular for bodybuilders or olympic lifters since they are believed to recruit more muscle fibers and be safer on the knees. While I recommend most people squat atg (especially when front squatting), I also believe you should squat whichever way is more comfortable. Granted, ATG may be awkward at first, give it a try and then see which one you prefer. That's just my opinion on the matter