Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merijn View Post
ok now diet

since i try to lose weight i eat a low calorie diet

chickenbreast and rice 3 times a day :-)
in between eat lots of fruits like oranges and bananas
i take vitamind because it makes me loose weight and i like to drink green tea
i take1 shake of whey a day ( 30 g protein) because i am afraid not getting enough

i have about 120 g protein a day if i count but i think this gives me a really low calorie diet because when i eat i never eat alot.

before doing this i used to eat about 4000cal a day for more than 1 year( maybe 2), the bulk i got was just fat because now that i stripped it off i see i dint gain muscle mass at all
dont understand why you eat rice everymeal and fruits when wanting to lose weight
Old 12-03-2009, 01:11 PM
merijn should change his/her status!
Stranger

i eat chickenwhite because it is lean meat
i eat rice ( but not much) for carbs and it is low calories.
fruit is also for the carbs, to fuel my body but also low calories

if i eat like this i really get a low amount of calories and lose weight day by day
Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Nobody has built an impressive body by training 2 times per week.
False. I'm sure there is a lot of people who have. Clarence Bass is one of them. Another was Aurthor Saxon. He had a great body and was also supposed to be one of the strongest men in the world way back before they had steroids or anything like that.

Additionally, most of the younger athletes who lift at my gym are in top shape and they only workout a few times per week. They have very low body fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Nobody has become an elite athlete by training 2 times per week.
Nobody.
Again, false. Quite to the contrary the reality is actually the opposite. A lot of the best weightlifters on my team only worked out 2 times per week, and most of them had world records. Janet Faroane, Sebastian Burns, Bill Crawford, Sam Luciano, just to name a few.

Charles Bailey who lifts in the 275 lb class life time drug free, he got an all time best total in his class, and he told me he only lifts 2 times per week these days and even forces 1 week off per month.

I could name a lot more for both cases. Most of them are powerlifters. I don't know a lot of bodybuilders. But I would be willing to bet that most drug free bodybuilders could do just fine from only 2 workouts per week. But you will never see a top pro bodybuilder who only works out 2 times per week, at least I highly doubt it.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Merijn,

I can tell you what your problems are real easy.

Workouts:
2 workouts per week is fine. But the workouts you are doing just aren't hard enough workouts. You need to include deadlifts. You need to stick to basics! And you need, if you havn't already, to set up your routine so you are constantly progressing. You have to make and beat goals. It can be 1 more rep each workout or it can be 5 more lbs, as long as you are progressing. Also, I'm not even sure I would waist my time on biceps exercises; you need to stick to basics. Do cardio if you like it, but I reckon you don't need it for fat loss; too much will burn the muscle away. You can get the fat to come off with your diet, if you do it right.

Diet:
Well, I'll agree with what everyone else said. You need to eat to support your workouts. Otherwise you won't grow. There are better ways you can eat that will support your muscle building needs better, even while keeping the fat off.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Stranger

thank you everybody for the answers

the reason why i only lift 2times a week is because i lifted more before
i used to concentrate on woring out 100 percent, dong deathlifts and squats incl. and eating a whole lot (4000cal)

well all this hardwork made me fat and without endurance;
i worked out low reps, heavy weights for years now and only recently i heard about
me being type 1 muscle fiber dominant and that i have to concentrate on those type 1 fibers by doing longer extention times

so what i really care about is knowing if this is true, if an ectomorph with type 1 fiber dominance has to concentrate on those and use longer extention times

as told in the x rep program and projecthardgainerx

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xrep11.htm

http://www.fitandhealthyblog.com/har...ject-x-review/
Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
thank you everybody for the answers

the reason why i only lift 2times a week is because i lifted more before
i used to concentrate on woring out 100 percent, dong deathlifts and squats incl. and eating a whole lot (4000cal)

well all this hardwork made me fat and without endurance;
i worked out low reps, heavy weights for years now and only recently i heard about
me being type 1 muscle fiber dominant and that i have to concentrate on those type 1 fibers by doing longer extention times

so what i really care about is knowing if this is true, if an ectomorph with type 1 fiber dominance has to concentrate on those and use longer extention times

as told in the x rep program and projecthardgainerx

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xrep11.htm

http://www.fitandhealthyblog.com/har...ject-x-review/
No. I highly doubt it to be true. How can you tell unless someone takes your muscles apart and looks at them under a microscope (or what ever)?

Let me ask you just one thing. Are you in this to win or not? Because if not then blaming your failures on genetics is just an excuse. I can't tell you how many friends I have who have the poorest genetics possible, yet they still manage to be world class athletes. Winners don't make excuses; only losers do. Thats the truth wether you like it or not; no insult intended. If you aren't getting stronger its because you aren't trying. But if you want it bad enough you will put in the work required to get to where you want to be.

You can't blame being fat on the way you train because training has little to do with to how lean you are or not. Its all diet.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Stranger

well i am serious about getting bigger now, but i want to learn from my mistakes and analyse if i have to change what i did in the last years; that is why i posted this fiber question

the reason i said that i got fat and didnt gain is because else people will just think that i didnt eat enough

by the way i gained lots of strenght but no mass training this way
and boxing gave me grait endurance

but i want mass alos, that is why i turned to this forum

i am happy to know our friends made it, i gives a great example to me that it is possible
Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
well i am serious about getting bigger now, but i want to learn from my mistakes and analyse if i have to change what i did in the last years; that is why i posted this fiber question

the reason i said that i got fat and didnt gain is because else people will just think that i didnt eat enough

by the way i gained lots of strenght but no mass training this way
and boxing gave me grait endurance

but i want mass alos, that is why i turned to this forum

i am happy to know our friends made it, i gives a great example to me that it is possible
Well then you might have to at least include higher reps in your training then. I'll give a quick explanation why. For each muscle cell its total volume is comprised of many different "things". The thing is if you maximize the growth of all the different things or at least the main things that are most likely to make up more volume of the cell percentage wise, your muscles will be much bigger. The main two things that make up the majority of the volume of the muscle cells is myofibrils and sarcoplasm. If you only train heavy you will mainly stimulate growth of the myofibrils and not so much the sarcoplasm. Since myofibrils are the contractile elements, your muscles will get stronger and bigger, but your greatest potential for size will not be maximized. This is one of the reasons why powerlifters can be so much stronger and still weigh much less. This is also why you got stronger from lifting heavy but didn't get a real lot bigger. Slightly higher reps such as 8-15 stimulate growth of the sarcoplasm, which is used to store mitochondria for the transfer of energy, making your muscles more oxidative. Here is a good article that explains it better:
http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-p...ypertrophy.pdf
There is also a lot of good literature on this site that will help you understand it better.

You see, the thing is you actually can get big muscles by only lifting heavy. But if you include higher reps the muscles will get much bigger much faster. But they won't be as strong. This is true for everyone, not just you. I think Tom Platz is the best example as to how well high reps work. He used to do crazy high rep sets of squats, reps of 20 or more, and his legs were huge!

Honestly, I don't like to get into those complications of training anymore. And a lot of people don't believe it. But the truth is there. The way you train will make a difference. And that difference in training should be dependent on your goals. Fred Hatfield years ago had a so called "squat off" with Tom Platz to see who could squat better. I don't recall the exact numbers, but Fred maxed out with probably 100 more lbs than Tom, but Tom could do 23 reps with the same weight Fred could only get for 10. Doesn't make sense to most people. But Fred was a powerlifter and Tom was a bodybuilder. Fred won in limit strength and Tom won for endurance.

But I still don't think you have to complicate things any further than that. Keep your training simple. Think about it simpler in terms of strength. Do lots of reps and try to improve the number of reps you can do with a given weight. That will build size pretty good. But also include heavy weights and work to improve limit strength, because that is what will set the ceiling as to what you will be able to do reps with.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:48 PM
tmkeehn is climbing that mountain
Lightweight

Have you looked into nutrient timing? It sounds like you bulked up and your muscles got bigger, but you also gained in fat as well - which sounds more like a diet issue. Maybe you're eating the wrong things at the wrong times? I'd cut most of the fruit out (not all, I'm a big fan of bananas myself and its like a cheat), increase protein but at the right times. For instance, what are you eating post workout? What are you eating before bed? Maybe split it up into 5 meals a day, your biggest one after your workout, smallest before bed making sure to add some casein protein to that one.

Also...I'd stick with the Deadlift, Squat and Bench for a bit to change it up. The release of Growth Hormone from doing squats can actually increase the mass of your other muscle groups. Those 3 will hit every big muscle group and are the most intense.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Stranger

thank you everybody for your answer

it seems clear now and i have new hope/faith in training

specialy thanks to Charles Izzo, the article is great!

Merijn

Tags
ectomorph, fiber, mass, superset, type 1