Ellingham - The skinny guy is on a one way road to mass - Page 5 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellingham View Post
Today was the worst workout i have had so far. I am feeling very pissed off as it feels like i have taken a step backwards. My thigh strain seems to have moved to my groin so squats were very laboured and i only managed to push the weight up slightly. I am beginning to hate the overhead press with a vengence, this is were i need advice, today i had to take the working set down to 71.5lbs as i couldn't get 88lbs up for 1 rep, how can i push past this and improve my strength on this press, should i lower the weights and start again? Here is todays workout.
You managed 82.5 for OH press last time, so do that weight again and make sure your form is solid, the add the 5.5lbs the workout after. As for squats the same has happened to several guys i know doing SS, just miss out squats from your next workout and do just bench and deads. then try again the workout after. You might just need to allow your hip flexors to fully recover.
You have still made excellent progress since you started so be positive and patient.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

What would have been more likely to cause this little injury, is it because i am new to squatting? i am squatting weight that is to heavy for me? or poor form? I mean i know its nothing major and it's just a little strain but it bothers me that i'm getting them so early on. I am really hating the overhead press its like you take the bar from the hooks and then you're left there holding the weight with no way of generating any force to get it up there, its like starting a bench press with the bar on your chest. I wonder if it would be better to do a seated press or should i stick with standing?

Last edited by Ellingham; 11-28-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Middleweight

Your injury is probably a combination of inexperience with weights and possible bad form, try and upload a vid then ppl can see what is wrong and how it can be improved.
OH press is tricky, just try not to pause at the bottom for too long, try breathing at the top when you are locked out. I'd stick with the standing OH press for now it uses more muscles for stability and contributes better to core strength, which is the aim of SS.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Middleweight

Missed squats today due to a little niggle in my knee and groin, will give it two days rest then start again on thursday, bench and deads both went well. Also ordered a new battery for my phone so if that fixes the problem i will be able to get some pictures and videos up.

Bench press
66x2x5
77x1x5
88x1x3
104.5x1x2
110x3x5

Deadlift
110x2x5
132x1x5
154x1x3
176.5x1x2
187.5x1x5
Old 12-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Middleweight

Today was a mixed workout, good because i was able to do squats again and recorded a few sets, but the bad news is my form is ***king horrible you'll see in the video (last set is by far the worst) i only managed to do one working set with a lighter weight than i have squated before and it felt extremely heavy and i couldn't drive my hips up. I'll see if i have any reactions tomorro.

Squats
66x2x5
88x1x5
110x1x3
132x1x2
154x1x5

http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...31209_0001.flv

Overhead press
44x2x5
55x1x5
60x1x3
77x1x2
82.5x3x5

Pendlay rows
88x2x5
99x1x5
104.5x1x3
110x1x2
115.5x3x5
Old 12-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Form needs some work (so does mine, so don't fret).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CW...x=0&playnext=1

This video is the first in a series aimed at helping learn correct squat technique. They are very helpful. I'd recommend checking them out.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Middleweight

wow thankyou for that link that video is extremely helpful, i am amzed that the 1st two videos address two problems that i definately have, loosing the arch and then doing a good morning out of the squat. I will definately implement some of those techniques on saturday and will post another video with new and improved form. Do you think i'm getting deep enough?

Last edited by Ellingham; 12-03-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Depth isn't your issue, but you need to take a deep breath and keep your abs tight, arch your back hard, start the movement with your hips, not your knees, and then use your glutes to finish the movement. You finish and your back is at almost a 45 degree angle to your hips, there is no glute involvement going on. Don't sweat it though, just keep trying and posting videos, it will inevitably get better since you clearly possess the desire to learn and improve yourself.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Depth isn't your issue, but you need to take a deep breath and keep your abs tight, arch your back hard, start the movement with your hips, not your knees, and then use your glutes to finish the movement. You finish and your back is at almost a 45 degree angle to your hips, there is no glute involvement going on. Don't sweat it though, just keep trying and posting videos, it will inevitably get better since you clearly possess the desire to learn and improve yourself.
yeah i am glad i made that video because it is better to realise early on so i have time to correct, sometimes ignorance is bliss this is not one of them times. Things i will be doing on saturday is; stretching out ALOT more before i begin squatting, using a high bar posistion, arching back hard, begin by reaching back with my hips, mainting the arch, then driving up with a good back angle. Thank you for the help commander and i hope you have time to look at my next video!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Middleweight

when you start the negative part of the squat imagine you are trying to sit down on a chair 2 foot behind you. thats what got me to move my arse out first rather than bend at the knees. One thing a will say is that your depth is good, you are going below parallel, just try and keep all the tension on your hams and glutes and look forwards at a spot about 6ft infornt of you on the floor the whole time, that will help you maintain a good back angle.
Only problem you will find is that your body falls backwards so practice correct form without any weight first and get used to balancing with your hams being in tension.
Im uploading my horrific deadlift vid shortly.