Big Bear: Cant hold me down forever - Page 7 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Ordo Ab Chao is SHEIKO
Lightweight

Those are some impressive numbers, especially the 10lb weight gain. I know how discouraging it can be to start training again after taking time off, so I'm glad this program worked out so well for you.

Since you're going to be doing 3x5 again I thought I should share what I just did for my last routine which I incorporated DC and 3x5 principals. While I kept it simple and only trained major compound lifts, I took the DC "less is more" concept to heart.

Monday:
Squat- 1x5, 1x3
Bench- 1x5, 1x3
Row- 1x5, 1x3

(optional)Seated calves-1x5, 1x3

Wednesday:
Deads- 1x5, 1x3
OH Press-1x5, 1x3

Friday:
Squat- 1x5, 1x3, 1x1
Bench- 1x5, 1x3, 1x1
Row- 1x5, 1x3, 1x1

(optional)Standing calves-1x5, 1x3

Oftentimes, the 1rm sets were optional, and I only performed them when I felt I had the energy/recovery available. In fact, I didn't start testing my maxes until the last 2 weeks of my routine, until then I just did a set of 5 and then a set of 3. As you can see, I removed squats from Wed as I felt this was too much volume. Much like the DC philosophy, I didn't see the need to do multiple sets of the same weight/rep range. IMO, one set at max effort for 5 reps is going to stimulate the desired hypertrophy/CNS adaptations, so why do two more sets at that rep range when I won't be able to use the same intensity? Why not just up the weight and train my muscles in another rep range? Does that make sense?

I have done 3x5 about four times now, and this adaptation has given me the best gains in strength. I am back on DC right now and I actually came back stronger than where I finished my last blast. I typically come back slightly weaker, so this is really exciting for me. I am considering alternating between this routine and DC again in the future, especially if I start to plateau

I hope this helps. Enjoy your well deserved rest week, load up on some turkey and enjoy the time with your family. I'm eager to see how the rest of your log turns out

Last edited by Ordo Ab Chao; 11-24-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 PM
MJR is in it for life
Light-Heavyweight

Hey BigBear, I'm just about to start a 3x5 myself to increase my core strength. I notice you did rows instead of power cleans, which is what I think I'm gonna do also. I plan on starting well below my max in week 1 so I don't stall too early. Any advice on the calorie surplus for the first few weeks. I don't plan on gaining a ton of muscle since i'll be lifting more for form and not hitting new maxes until at least week 4..., so I dont' want to just dive into a 500calorie surplus week 1...i'm thinking 100-250, but maybe at least 250 would be smart just for the sake of performance (its such a tradeoff isnt it?)

I also am not sure on how soon to add dips/chins etc (accessory work) to the basic squats, deadlifts, bench, press, cleans/rows.

Thanks man, looks good in here! u must be stoked about DC
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Your plan sounds solid to me, I am sure with a week off and a 10% deload you will be fresh and by the end of your next 4 week attack will be flying past the numbers you are using now. And your body will be more than ready for the next DC blast.

How is the abdominal region healing up?

Enjoy the Thanksgiving weekend!
Thanks commander, I will enjoy the weekend..that is for sure! The abdominals are healing very well..i have made better progress than I initially imagined I would. Have a great weekend yourself!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo Ab Chao View Post
Those are some impressive numbers, especially the 10lb weight gain. I know how discouraging it can be to start training again after taking time off, so I'm glad this program worked out so well for you.

Since you're going to be doing 3x5 again I thought I should share what I just did for my last routine which I incorporated DC and 3x5 principals. While I kept it simple and only trained major compound lifts, I took the DC "less is more" concept to heart.

Monday:
Squat- 1x5, 1x3
Bench- 1x5, 1x3
Row- 1x5, 1x3

(optional)Seated calves-1x5, 1x3

Wednesday:
Deads- 1x5, 1x3
OH Press-1x5, 1x3

Friday:
Squat- 1x5, 1x3, 1x1
Bench- 1x5, 1x3, 1x1
Row- 1x5, 1x3, 1x1

(optional)Standing calves-1x5, 1x3

Oftentimes, the 1rm sets were optional, and I only performed them when I felt I had the energy/recovery available. In fact, I didn't start testing my maxes until the last 2 weeks of my routine, until then I just did a set of 5 and then a set of 3. As you can see, I removed squats from Wed as I felt this was too much volume. Much like the DC philosophy, I didn't see the need to do multiple sets of the same weight/rep range. IMO, one set at max effort for 5 reps is going to stimulate the desired hypertrophy/CNS adaptations, so why do two more sets at that rep range when I won't be able to use the same intensity? Why not just up the weight and train my muscles in another rep range? Does that make sense?

I have done 3x5 about four times now, and this adaptation has given me the best gains in strength. I am back on DC right now and I actually came back stronger than where I finished my last blast. I typically come back slightly weaker, so this is really exciting for me. I am considering alternating between this routine and DC again in the future, especially if I start to plateau

I hope this helps. Enjoy your well deserved rest week, load up on some turkey and enjoy the time with your family. I'm eager to see how the rest of your log turns out
Thanks for the input Ordo...your take on the 3x5-DC hybrid is very interesting...i will seriously consider trying it...i have the same feelings as you..why do 3 sets @ 5 reps w/ the same weight..when i can do a different range w/ different weight..also, taking out squats from weds. workout seems like something that may be worth it as well..squatting that much is just killer, as I found out..very draining physically and emotionally...believe me, after this next cycle thru S.S...i will be pumped for DC!! the only thing holding me back from starting now are the gains I made...I WANT MORE!!!! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
Hey BigBear, I'm just about to start a 3x5 myself to increase my core strength. I notice you did rows instead of power cleans, which is what I think I'm gonna do also. I plan on starting well below my max in week 1 so I don't stall too early. Any advice on the calorie surplus for the first few weeks. I don't plan on gaining a ton of muscle since i'll be lifting more for form and not hitting new maxes until at least week 4..., so I dont' want to just dive into a 500calorie surplus week 1...i'm thinking 100-250, but maybe at least 250 would be smart just for the sake of performance (its such a tradeoff isnt it?)

I also am not sure on how soon to add dips/chins etc (accessory work) to the basic squats, deadlifts, bench, press, cleans/rows.

Thanks man, looks good in here! u must be stoked about DC
To be honest MJR, i dont count calories...lol..i just eyeball my food and dont stress it...i count for a week here and there just to make sure my portions are at least halfway right...but that it...i can tell you, my average calorie intake while i was just on my cycle was about 3500 a day...i am not "ripped" but i am not fat..i am vascular and can see definition..but not "stage ready"...I would say add dips and chins right off the bat, the only reason I waited was because I was coming off surgery and they put too much stress on my abs...i would cycle pullups in between squat sets and dips inbetween deadlift sets just to streamline my workout a bit..and yes, did rows and no cleans...i may change that next time around and alternate..again, i didnt clean because my abdominal region was hurt and it stressed me too much
Old 11-25-2009, 01:07 AM
MJR is in it for life
Light-Heavyweight

Well keep up the great work man!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Heavyweight

yesterday: 45 min raquet ball, 15 mins treadmill jog

...driving all night after work = sleeping all morning on thanksgiving = good thing its a big food day...i got a lot to make up for!!! hahahaha

on a side note, i may start creating for this next cycle...any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Heavyweight

today: 30 mins. laps in the pool w/ my father in law....this may be my new favorite form of cardio if i can find an indoor pool to to swim at for the winter...good, low impact form of exercise...ill throw it in w/ my other new fav the stair stepper!! mixed in w/ traditional running..my cardio arsenal is getting full!!!!!!, i can see my muscles recovering and seem to be getting bigger in this week off...tuesday my lifting starts again
Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Heavyweight

started creatine today, by the time I get into the heavy weights again, I should be loaded and ready to go

Squats:
135x8
205x5
225x3
275x5,5,5
Bench:
135x10
155x5
195x5,5,5
Deadlift:
135x8
225x5
275x3
325x5
Dips:
BW+25x10,6
Incline Situps BWx15,15,15

introduced situps today, will do them same day as dips..still debating other days for abs as well, unsure of what exercise...all other weights felt good, a week off did wonders, im ready to start beating the previous numbers!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Heavyweight

cardio today, 3 mile run. first time running outside since my surgery, felt good!

I live at the top of a 1.5 mile hill, i would say its at least 10-15% grade if not more...i run down it for my warm up, then book it back up
Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Heavyweight

Squats:
135x8
205x5
225x3
280x5,5,5
BB Sh. Press:
95x8
125x5,5,5
BB Row:
135x8,6
165x5,5,5
Pullups:BWx6,4,3
Chinups:BWx8,5,6

squats are feeling good ever since I watched some youtube form vids..i guess i never had any hip drive and was trying to stand up too much...what a world of difference i feel now!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Hey man, I'm glad the hip mobility stuff can help you as well. Also, lifts are looking solid, good luck as you get back into the heavier weights.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter