The Trial of Dedication, a workout journal. - Page 5 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

Surprise beach trip yesterday so didn't make it to either TKD class, and now I'll be working 9-5 (with hour commute on both ends) on wednesdays so will only be attending the evening class from now on, but I'm keeping up with my cardio so far and loving it. 50 minutes including cool down today at around 138-145bpm. I'll be keeping this schedule up for about a month to test for progress, and then will likely do maybe 1-2 weeks of straight strength sessions, with more intense anaerobic threshold cardio, and then 2 weeks of endurance training, then maybe a week or two of plyometrics...back to endurance training, etc. for a few months to improve the weakness that is my endurance and then reassess what I want to work on.

Biceps mostly training strength; triceps, pecs, and delts training endurance.

Curls (hammer)
1x7x40
1x7x35
Curls (standard)
2X10x25

Reverse curls
1x15x15

Push-ups (2-2)
4x12

Dumbbell shoulder press
1x10x25

Plate Laterals
2x15x10

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 02-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Middleweight

First completely full week of workouts (besides missing class wednesday due to an impromptu beach trip) in a long time, so I'm pretty satisfied with how I'm sticking to it. Continuing lots of research into training, can't mwait to get my hands on Joel Jamiesons book. Either way, I'm loving my cardio throughout the week and can't wait to see some gains to my aerobic system from that over the next several weeks. Also, my first full endurance leg lifting day...very brutal, especially followed with cardio. But I did do seated leg press instead of my leg extension and curls (which I had been avoiding for injury purposes) but while weight finding, I was lifting with one leg as I scaled down the stack all the way to 395lbs at the max which I guess was too much pressure to put on one leg...my knee hurt like hell all last night. I'm not really wanting to put my knees under that kind of pressure again, I may continue my ban on leg press workouts. Either way, I'm loving this routine so far.

Seated Leg Press:
1x20x395
1x15x395
1x12x395

Adductor:
1x12x190
2x12x170

Abductor:
3x12x120

Calve Ext:
1x20x300

Hyper Extension:
1x30x120
1x20x120

Ab Curl:
1x25x120

Oblique Rotary:
1x10-10x120

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Middleweight

Many months later I return to the journal. I had a fractured ulna, which took me out of the game for several months due to inability to move my arm and inability to deal with the heat from the cast. So I've lost half my muscle mass, gained at least 20lbs of mostly fat, lost a **** ton of flexibility, and much of my conditioning.

So the goal is to drop from my current 237.5 to 210 as an initial goal, and a return to my flexibility and mass.

The method? The foundation is continuing TKD for an hour+ on Monday and Wednesday, as well as using my newly purchased home recumbent bike for 30-60 minutes at least 5 times a week, at least at moderate low intensity.

The biggest problem is getting back to lifting, which hasn't happened near enough. I need my muscle mass back to get my metabolism and strength.

Either way, every journey begins again and again, and so too it is time to begin once more.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

Don't let it keep you down!

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Middleweight

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting back into goo shape and making real progress, it's just all about getting business working the next few months so that the IRS doesn't do unmentionable things to me. So health is kinda a hobby until I can get back into it hardcore.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Middleweight

So I haven't been keeping much of a workout journal as I have been having the worst insomnia of my life and workouts are pretty inconsistent. Lately I've been doing much better, but most of it is TKD and cardio training, with some yoga. Ideally I'm looking at cardio 5 times a week (various intensities and at times including sprints, all on an indoor recumbent bike at the moment), TKD up to 3 times a week, yoga several times a week, trying out pilates for some core work, and an upper and lower lifting day at least once a week (here's where I've been worst so far).

Basically the ulna fracture from some 8 months ago is still screwing me over, having really gotten me out of shape, losing me so much muscle mass, really messing with my insomnia that I've already had for around 10 years. On top of that I am now fully self employed from home with no schedule and I've let this really destroy my sleep. Sleep is as always my main goal, along with side by side cardio for overall energy/heart improvements, and putting muscle mass back on to get rid of the 40lbs I've gained in the last year while I've been out and down.

Also I need to really work on back rehabilitation. A few years back I slipped a disc in my lumbar section and havent restrengthened it adequately yet. I need to get this dealt with before I get any older!

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Middleweight

So did my first real lifting session in months. I've finally contacted a sleep clinic and have an appointment, so will be seriously working towards fixing my ailment. I've also taken a hiatus from TKD to make sure I can maintain my rehabilitation work without having to skip things like back days the the before a TKD session. For now I will be doing a full body lifting session about 3 days a week, with yoga and moderate cardio on the days in-between (and on lifting days as well actually).

Today started with an hour of light-moderate cardio with one two minute sprint, and one full body workout. Kept it pretty light because I haven't lifted in so long. Numbers and reps are kinda an estimate, but my memory tends to be pretty good.

1x10x305 leg press
1x20x255 leg press
1x20x255 calve extension (on leg press)
2x8x150 lat pulldown
1x8x150 rows
1x12x120 pec flys
1x8x150 bench
1x3x160 bench
1x20x10's delt FB lifts
1x8x35 DB curls
1x20x50 good mornings

Pretty light across the board, but I can't go very heavy in my girlfriends apartment gym and it's been so long that slowly ramping up is important anyway.

So now that the logs done, I might as well declare my goals.
1: rebuild muscle mass for purposes of metabolism. I have 40-60lbs to drop (including the weight change due to muscle gain.)
2: rehabilitation. I have a weakened lower back due to slipping a disk a couple years ago, time to restrengthen it. I will be contacting my physical therapist FINALLY and getting their opinion as well. I'm also heavy enough that it is causing back pain, knee pain, and some other areas that need special attention via muscle strengthening and activity.
3: strength rebuilding. My bench is an absolutely shameful 170ish (I weigh 240), granted I did break my arm and have been out of regular lifting for about 8 months! My leg press also used to be around 1000lbs on the small angle press, I don't know what it's down to now.
4: rebulking. I can go years without lifting and keep most of my bulk, but my legs and shrunk a lot, which is my main priority.
5: And lastly, due to it not being lifting really, but I really need to get my conditioning up MASSIVELY for general heart health, as well as being able to focus on skill building in TKD instead of spending the classes just trying to get through. So much physical loss in this last year!

So all this is building towards rehabilitation, finishing my insomnia, general life long health, and once I am in generally good shape verging on athlete status again I will be attending NPTI to get my personal trainers credentials. In my area the median income for personal trainers is 53,000$, and this will give me fantastic complimentary education and experience for my chosen career path getting my RD, not to mention a good fall back career and income to support my furthering education.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 02-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Middleweight

It's been so long since I've lifted that I had a small tear in my left quad, so I've taken a few days off exercising to rest it. I still took today off leg lifting, and will resume tomorrow, but hit up a good upper body session and will do some yoga in a few hours.

I'm doing about three sessions a week, one with endurance rep ranges, one hypertrophy, one strength, all being generally full body. I will refine my workout in perhaps a month or so but for now it is definitely adequate to get back into things without overly stressing any particular muscle group.

I didn't keep exact track of reps completed today as i'm really just getting back into things and finding my groove. All rep ranges are from 12-20 depending on exercise. A couple of rest pauses were used to complete sets, but no other particular techniques.

2xflat bench
2xpec fly
2xtricep extensions (one reverse)
2xlat pulldown (one reverse)
1xrows
2xcable curls (one reverse)
10 minute bike cooldown ultra-low intensity.

I'm on a veery weird sleep schedule right now, sleeping at around 2-3pm until 10pm, though trying to switch it around. Basically everything is nuts and I'm eeextra exhausted, so the compound exercises were especially fatiguing for me and just as I have to train my muscles to get back into condition it's going to be a battle to get used to just not caring about the physical effort it requires. It went pretty well though, and gods the isolation exercises are easy. I feel pretty good overall and am looking forward to my next session.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Middleweight

Been out of the gym for a few days with extreme fatigue and a weekend trip for my birthday, but excited to get in there today and hit up a full body workout.

I finally ordered a pair a calipers so that will be fun to try out once they arrive. Today I weigh in at 235 which is an improvement. I'm about to head downstairs, make a morning shake of minimal juices and purees, soy milk, soy portein, and a mixture of frozen fruit, a bit afterwards to come fruit and some kind of complex carb for breakfast. Not long afterwards I'll hit an hour of cario and perhaps yoga. A bit later today I will be hitting the gym.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Middleweight

I was unable to get to the gym yesterday, but definitely hoping to today. Yesterday I managed an hour of cardio, today 40 lazy minutes due to low food intake (just a shake and banana for breakfast), but now headed to get food and once I get good digestion time I'll head for a full body session.

Thrivebodybalance.com