The Trial of Dedication, a workout journal. - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

I haven't looked through your whole journal yet, but if you are looking to gain some strength, you should try multi-joint barbell exercises. Exercises like squats and deadlifts are better strength gainers for your legs than extensions and curls.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

Much appreciate the advice Arian, but sadly due to a weakened lower back from slipping a disk a year ago I'm pretty much tapped out of a lot of free weight exercises, and am skipping leg press as well for now due to its effects of compressing my spine into my pelvis which causes me alignment issues. I may take up some lighter weight squats during these two weeks, but probably not.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Middleweight

11/17/10
Arm day-strength

Lat Pulldowns
2x8x150
1x8x160
2x5x270

Machine Press
3x6x170

Cable Curl
2x8x90
5x6x100

Tri-Extension
3x8x150
1x4x140

Rows
1x6x145

Delt laterals
4x6x75

4/20/10
HIIT+abs

3 min warmup, 30/30 medium-high intensity 4 minutes, 3 minute cooldown

pneumatic abs
1x35x140
1x25x140

pneumatic spinae erector
2x25x80

rotary abs
1ex20x120

Tomorrow, strength legs, arms wednesday, possibly with HIIT. HIIT again later in the week+abs, and more general cardio. Need to push endurance training to keep up or improve for TKD when I return shortly.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Middleweight

Haven't been in the gym in a while, was getting back into TKD classes after the time off, and things came up. Alas, leg day today despite feeling very very weird. Hoping to hit TKD tomorrow anyway, but we'll see, eh?

Leg Extensions
1x8x160
1x8x170
2x8x180
1x8x190

Leg Curl
1x8x150
3x6x160

Hip Adductor
3x15x190

Hip Abductor
3x6x130

Calve Raise
3x25x300

Need to get closer to power lifting rep ranges for strength, but I'll get there. Did 5 minute bike warm up and cool down plus stretching, so I feel good about it.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Middleweight

Wasn't up to getting to the gym after work tonight, been slowly adjusting my sleep schedule but its been hard. Managed a short and light workout at home that will do for now.

3x8(4x2)x80 EZcurl
3x30(10x3) pushups
3x8x50 reverse EZcurl
misc weighted hand strikes

I've been working on finding out what workout schedule works best for me to get the most amount of TKD, strength and flexibility training, and some good endurance work each week with my crazy *** schedule. So far this is what I'm running. Yoga is a possibility on any day.

Monday: TKD 1 class, moderate to intense cardio 20-30 minutes.
Tuesday: Rest, option for yoga
Wednesday: TKD 1-2 classes
Thursday: Arm/upperback/chest strength day (possibility of friday instead)
Friday: Leg Strength Day
Saturday: HIIT bike (likely to delay this until sunday), abs and lower back.
Sunday: Extended moderate cardio.

In a couple of months I will be intending on adding a supplementary martial arts class into an evening later in the week, like a two hour judo, karate, or hakpido class (preferably hapkido) for a couple of hours, which is likely to drastically alter my workout schedule, but hopefully my sleep and therefore recovery times in addition to my endurance for all above exercises will increase substantially.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Middleweight

5 hours sleep and barely got my food down before hitting the gym so took it slow and barely did anything, but tried a new machine and had a good full stretching section afterwards and I'll get to HIIT saturday so it's something. Tomorrow will be heavy into arms. I've been getting to grip training, as well as occasional pushups and pullups for endurance during training times as well for some good performance gains.

Back Leg Press (one leg)
3x8x215

leg curl
3x8x160

adductor
3x12x90

abductor
1x10x130
2x6x140

Thrivebodybalance.com

Last edited by Algavinn; 01-14-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Middleweight

Pretty satisfied with todays workout. Did more compound work, though I didn't feel like I was getting much done until i hit some isolation exercises, but just an hour or two after my session I stopped being able to really use my whole upper body, so success! I'm still really needing to work on grip endurance for the bigger lifts after a while, making this a priority. Also need to find a good alternative to rows, hopefully I will get back to being able to do pullups soon when weather improves.

Tomorrow HIIT cycling, abs and erectors.

Machine Press
3x6x180
2x4x200

Military Press
2x6-4x120

Rows
3x8-6-8x180
1x8x195
1x2x210

Cable Curl
1x8x100
1x6x110
1x4x120

Lat Pulldown
1x8x180

Tricep Cable
2x6x140

10 Knuckle Pushups

Grip Squeeze
3x100x-

Plans continue to maintain bouts of pushup sets for endurance, 1 rep bicep curls, and grip endurance. Also developing my stretching plan.

Thrivebodybalance.com

Last edited by Algavinn; 01-15-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Middleweight

Terribly lethargic and tired today, slept through TKD class and then barely pumped out a few pathetic sets in the gym.

Lat Down
1x15x150
1x10x135

military press
3x20x100

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Middleweight

Pushups:
4x25

Reverse EZbar Curls:
4x12-10-8-6x65

Hammer Curls:
3x8-6-4x35

Forearm Curls:
3x35-25-15x35

Hand Squeeze:
4x100

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Middleweight

Had to deal with a minor quad tear this last week as well as a pulled muscle in my back, but spent the time doing some kickass research! Found an 84 page thread by Joel Jamieson and it revolutionized my endurance theory and knowledge. I've reworked my workout program to address my biggest problem: endurance. In class I find myself gassing out way too quickly, and my resting heartrate is in the high 60's. So muscular and lung endurance is lagging so is on the chopping block.

Monday: 1 TKD class, 30+ mins cardio 140-150bpm
tuesday: 45 mins cardio 140-150bpm
wednesday: 2 TKD classes
thursday: arm day + 45 mins cardio 140-150bpm
friday: leg endurance day + 45+ mins cardio 140-150bpm
saturday: optional home arm day
sunday: yoga class, 20-30 mins cardio 140-150bpm

Thrivebodybalance.com