The Trial of Dedication, a workout journal. - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

Default The Trial of Dedication, a workout journal.

As my goals have shifted substantially and a good amount of time has passed, I think its time for a new Ďnew eraí journal. I have met most of my bulking goals, and my strength is improving by leaps and bounds. But, my metabolism is continuing to slow more and more, and itís quite discouraging. However I know of Much more I can be doing, and intend to redouble my efforts and focus singularly on my new goals (AckÖjust sneezed my oats all over my laptop!).

My high school weight was 195, with some muscle. My freshman year of college I gained 30 pounds! When I moved out of my freshman year room I threw away boxes to 7 different kinds of frozen cheese pizzaÖit took me 2+ years to finally hardcore cut and get back to 195, and since then I have bulked and became a very muscular 208, and now after 10 days in Hawaii Iím 214. I am driven to finally get lean, even though my metabolism is terribly slow and takes a ridiculously hardcore cut to lose the fat. 180 is my goal.

Current weight: 214 at 5í9ish height, waist is 36-38Ē
Goal weight: 180

My muscular goals at this time are just to enlarge my biceps, and otherwise just continue the general strength and fitness development of the rest of my body. Due to a lower back injury, some of this is somewhat limited at this time (no squats, deadlifts, hyperextensions, and other such movements). Above all, though, I wish to lose weight. I donít care if I donít gain any muscle in the next 6 months if I can lose weight, so cutting it is. I also donít lose muscle mass easily (strength and endurance go down but the bulk stays), so I can maintain a particularly singular focus here.

Because it tends to take such a hardcore cut (carb wise) for me, and while unemployed I just donít have the money to fully support the food I would need for that, I will be trying to just maintain a clean diet (but not an ultra clean nothing but veggies and meats type diet).

Breakfast will be my main carb meal outside of pre/post workout. Typical meals will consist of:

A: oatmeal with whey and peanut butter, fruit, milk.
B: two-three eggs on two pieces wheat toast, fruit, milk, maybe cheese.

Lunches and dinners will hopefully consist of meals modeled similarly to this:
-Chicken/steak/fish + broccoli + bit of fruit + bit of brown rice or equivalent + fish oil.

Snacks will be made of almonds, rice cakes, cottage cheese, and occasional sausages.

I will begin calorie counting soon to try to get a good hold on my diet.

The workout itself I have not decided on yet. I will be reviewing the fat burning workouts we have here and choose one/alter it. I intend to do 40 minutes of cardio every day Iím not lifting, and about 15-20 minutes after workouts. Cardio days will include some HIIT bike sprints (due to back I canít do the real thing right now).

I am driven to develop myself as an exceptional person, both physically and mentally. I will not be barred from this goal.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 07-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Middleweight

For now my workout split has largely been modeled after the 13 week fat burning workout. 1-Legs, 2-Chest/triceps/deltoids, 3-biceps/back, 4-cardio.

I did my legs the other day, two sets calve raises, and numerous sets leg press starting at about 400 and working up to 650 and back. Yesterday doing flat and decline bench, cable tricep extensions and then L-laterals. 15 minutes cardio after each. Next time I do dips only, benching hurts my joints.

Today will be biceps/back, I hope for no wrist/forearm pain this time.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Middleweight

Short back and bicep day.

4x8-135 Rows
2x8-135 Lat Pulldowns
4x8-80 drop set Cable Bicep Curl

15 minutes moderate cardio.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 07-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Middleweight

I know its never going to be easy, but this is pretty frustrating. My metabolism continues to get slower, my exhaustion is certainly not getting any better, and this lower back injury is debilitating.

Havent had the energy to head to the gym the last several days.

Cutting seems like an impossibility, but I just have to stick to it. My strength and fitness is improving, and there are more things I know I need to do, but ****it.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 08-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Middleweight

I havent updated in a while because I've only been to the gym once or so since my last update and I only did two sets of leg curls, the rest of the time I just spent chatting with my brother.

This is because I suffered an additional injury. While doing a pullup, a noise from my neighbors lawn made me look left. This ended up apparently pinching nerves, missaligning me, and tearing some muscles and fascia. This caused some of the most agonizing pain in my life, and I'm currently on oxycodone. The pain is getting much better, but my right shoulder still hurts like hell much of the time, so free weights are all out, and I'm probably just stuck using simple leg machines for now such as leg extension, leg curl, calf extension, abbductor and adductor machines, as well as cardio bikes.

On the possibly upside though my weight is down to 210.5, so it seems to slowly be going down and I don't think its from muscle, loss but it could be.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Middleweight

Well, my neck and shoulder pain is nearly gone, and I go in tomorrow to the chiropractor to have my neck adjusted and what not. So for now I will be getting back to lifting with my lower body, but for the moment I'm taking it really light as far as the type of exercises I'm doing, so I will be doing leg machines such as leg extension, curl, adductor, abductor, and calves. No leg press, and probably no upper body for at least another week to give myself more recovery time.

My levels of exhaustion are getting plain stupid. Its affecting my ability to function, and now that I have a job interview tuesday for a kitchen position, not being able to maintain high energy will be a huge problem. Tonight I'm going without my sleep aid, and we'll see what happens. Tomorrow I hope to get to the gym regardless of either of my gym partners joining me, and doing the above leg machines with very high rep ranges, but hopefully some intensity. 20-30 reps per set to mix it up.

I am also running my macro numbers for a few days to get a good look at what my diet is like. Today I was careful on carbs, coming in at 159 grams, but only a total of 2160 calories, no wonder I was feeling like I was going to pass out half of the time. I really need to find a way to get more calories without tons more carbs. Without the cash to shovel meat into my mouth, or some other fitting alternative, without eating nothing but saturated fats, I'm not sure how to achieve this. A scoop of peanut butter each day will help, and will get me good fats. But eating it without having it on bread, albeit wheat? We'll see.

Thrivebodybalance.com

Last edited by Algavinn; 08-17-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Middleweight

First workout in quite a while. Felt good, kept the intensity up.

Leg Extension
4x25-80

Leg Curl
2x50-80
2x25-80

Seated Calve
2x25-70

adductor
1x25-90

abductor
1x25-120

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Good stuff man! I like the adductor machine as well. Adds quite a bit of mass

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Middleweight

Aye, I've taken to adding a set or two of both to each leg day. I had noticed my legs were starting to seem really deep and skinny instead of wide, so added those in to try to make my quads wider. With my legs exploding so quickly followed by multiple injuries, who knows. (the explosions being growth, not the injuries!)

So today I continued my high rep workouts, though despite seeming to have fixed my stupidly ridiculous exhaustion, I just really didnt have the will to lift today, so quit pretty early. Given my multiple injuries, however, it was still a productive workout because of my 1+ month time off my upper body.

ezBarbel Curls:
3x20-65
super setted with-
Unweighted dips:
3x20-0

Tomorrow I'll try to get myself off to the gym and do another leg day...or maybe just cardio, we'll see what I feel like. Also not sure if I will do it with the high rep ranges again or not. I think I will keep it around 15-20 for the time being, just to switch it up. I'm not being too strict for now, just trying to take it easy and not risk messing up my recovery.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 08-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Middleweight

Another short leg day. Was going to hit up cardio today, but stayed up until 4am watchin TV with the lady.

Leg Curl
2x25-90
1x25-80
Leg Extension
3x25-90
Seated Calve
1x25-150
Adductor
1x25-100
abductor
1x25-90

Thrivebodybalance.com