Gym Social Norms - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Gym Social Norms

It is really important that the ABC members are educated on gym social norms, so that non of us act like a gym moron in any way whatsoever. Therefore, this thread is dedicated to gym social norms.

I was motivated by a situation the president and I ran into tonight.

This guy started a conversation with us, and went on and on about his philosophy on how to write an effective paper. And then…he followed us around the gym lol! So we could not shake him. It was horrible.

So there are two principles I want to get across here:

1. Never get into a philosophical discussion with someone in the middle of their workout
2. NEVER EVER follow someone around the gym and try to strike a conversation with them.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Down 2 Die should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Gym Social Norms

Don't try talking to people in the middle of their set! I had this fat guy come up and start talking to me about soccer, and he didn't even know anything about it! (This was before I started my set mind you) He was like, "Oh boy, I hope they get a break. They look really tired. I could never do that. Hopefully they get a break soon. Do they get a break soon?" And I was just like "I don't know man." So I start my set of seated curls. The guy is just standing there, probably 3 feet away (1 foot away if you include his stomach) watching me. Then he's like, "Gosh, you're strong. 100 pounds. Jeez louise. Hopefully you don't break your arms in half. That's what I did." I didn't say anything and he left. I think it's kinda like when you see a bear in the wild.. just be real still and don't make any noise.

Days tobacco free: 48
Old 07-10-2006, 05:37 PM

LMAO! I have tried the silence approach as well--you don't want to reinforce them! It works sometimes, but with the guy I mentioned above, it did not. I swear we said 3 words the entire time, and he kept going on and on. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Here is another one similar to what you said:

The same guy I mentioned above, on another workout day, asked Jake a philisophical question about biomechanics in the MIDDLE of a strip set on leg press.

So if you don't talk to someone during a normal set, DEFINITELY don't talk to someone during a strip set lol. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Down 2 Die should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Haha! What a moron! "Yeah uh, let's ponder on wormholes and time travel while you finish your 3RM deadlift attempt." Yeah, no talking during a set or a strip set. But you know if you're doing a drop set using different dumbbells they are gonna get you when you go to switch em up.

I forgot to mention that there was a TV in the weight room due to the World Cup. I'm pretty sure that fat guy never actually works out. I have only seen him bothering other people, reading the newspaper, and waddling around. I mean, not to make fun of the guy or anything, but dude, you're a nasty slob.

Thou shalt not give others unsolicited advice.

And I hate it when I'm finishing up a total reps set or a drop set and people sneer at the weight I'm struggling with at the end. It shouldn't bother me though, because my intelligence on physiology and kinesiology probably far exceeds theirs.

Days tobacco free: 48
Old 07-10-2006, 06:17 PM
War5475 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Aww guys maybe he was just lonely. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...thmontoge3.jpg

Status: Taken! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] YAY!
Age: 29, 19 months and counting. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Hair colour: brown blond
Eye colour: Blue " I am told thier quite fascinating!"
Height: 5'8
Weight: 220
Neck: 18.25
Shoulders: 59.00
Chest: 50.5
<font color="red">Arms: 17.75</font>
Forarms: 15.75
<font color="red">Quads: 27.1
Calves: 17.75
</font>Currently: Cutting
Mood: Im ok but cutting again. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> 33 It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. 34 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights. 35 He trains my hands for war ; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. 36 You give me your shield of victory; you stoop down to make me great. 37 You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn. 2 Samuel 22 </font>

<font color="green"> Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. 1 COR 6:19-20 </font>

<font color="blue"> No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:27 </font>

War! One of Gods Numerous Soldiers
Old 07-10-2006, 11:36 PM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

One thing that bugs me is when people don't return equipment to the right spot. "Gee, I guess the last guy thought I'd want this here." [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] And then when I see some girl having to peel 45's off of the leg press or something I realize it must tick girls off even more because it's much harder to handle the heavy weight.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Qester is looking forward to his cardio session tommorow
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that bugs me is when people don't return equipment to the right spot. "Gee, I guess the last guy thought I'd want this here." [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] And then when I see some girl having to peel 45's off of the leg press or something I realize it must tick girls off even more because it's much harder to handle the heavy weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That can work two ways though..I hate having to rack up the squat rack or such, i'd much rather someone have just left a 45 plate on and then people could add weight from there..It would inconvience people less if a 45 was on the bar and a few girls had to take it off, then countless others having to search for a free 45 to put on it.

"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
Henry Ford
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Growth In Motion is always ready
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, very true. I've never actually worked out in a commerical gym, ive always worked out at home. But i guess you get the annoying ones who just want the next person who will be using the piece of equipment to think 'gee, the guy who was on here last must be pretty strong'. Those people who do that need to get a life...
Old 07-11-2006, 01:13 PM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That can work two ways though..I hate having to rack up the squat rack or such, i'd much rather someone have just left a 45 plate on and then people could add weight from there..It would inconvience people less if a 45 was on the bar and a few girls had to take it off, then countless others having to search for a free 45 to put on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like someone who leaves the weights on. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Seriously though, that's selfish in my mind, and you're missing part of my point... if people returned equipment to the right spots, then why would it be hard to find 45's? Does your gym really have so few 45's that they're that hard to find?

Sure it's nice if the barbell magically has exactly the weight you want on it, but that doesn't make it right. If you're getting ready to pull weights off to put them away and someone says "go ahead and leave it" because they're going to use it after, that's one thing, but thinking you're doing a favor for people by leaving the weights on is just rationalizing inconsiderate behavior.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:27 PM

I think it depends on the apparatus.

On things such as leg press, I have seen maybe 2 people in my gym do less than a plate or two. So I will usually just leave a plate or two on, that way people don't have to unrack it. Same thing with the shrugs machine. I saw that Jay Cutler did this in one of his videos (and used the same logic), so I figure it is not too bad. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But for the squat rack, bench, etc. I usually take those off, because a lot of people can't even do a plate. Or, they may not like the bar that is being used (there are 3 different types of bars in my gym).

I want to know what the consensus is though, so I can abide by our social norms. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies