Optimizing Muscle Protein Synthesis - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Ordo Ab Chao is SHEIKO
Lightweight

Default Optimizing Muscle Protein Synthesis

The new manuscript from Layne Norton's lab peaked my interest in raising MPS. I figure if we are going to the trouble of ensuring proper leucine intake and timing, we should try to get the most from it. So far I have come across two studies I feel relate to the subject. I just wanted to see what others thought of the studies and if my analysis was correct.

STUDY 1: The effects of non-protein energy supplements on muscle protein synthesis during feeding and fasting

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-p...4&size=largest

This may help explain why taking whey alone results in an incomplete protein utilization despite whey's high BV. Pairing whey with carbs (such as PWO) or fats will ensure better absorption and also help maintain MPS longer.

STUDY 2: Antioxidant Supplementation Restores Defective Leucine Stimulation of Protein Synthesis in Skeletal Muscle from Old Rats

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...ct/138/11/2205

I believe that oxidative stress shown in the older rats parallels the stress athletes induce on a regular basis. By eating a proper diet or supplementing with antioxidants, we can optimize the MPS response of leucine.

Last edited by Ordo Ab Chao; 05-01-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

1. I think this is a valid point. One thing I want to say about less utilization of aminos with whey: just because amino acids gets oxidized, does not mean it did not have a physiological effect on the body prior to oxidation. My lab constantly points this out. The entire RDA is based on maximizing efficiency - the point of intake at which amino acid oxidation starts to rise. But we know that the benefits of amino acids on satiety and muscle growth DO NOT occur until they go beyond this point. So while you would like to maximize effeciency, it is not everything.
2. This was a great study, but it does have a lot of limitations. Mainly, it was in vitro...but I still think it is wise to take anti-oxidant sups, and quite possible that it will improve protein synthesis.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:43 AM
Ordo Ab Chao is SHEIKO
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
1. I think this is a valid point. One thing I want to say about less utilization of aminos with whey: just because amino acids gets oxidized, does not mean it did not have a physiological effect on the body prior to oxidation. My lab constantly points this out. The entire RDA is based on maximizing efficiency - the point of intake at which amino acid oxidation starts to rise. But we know that the benefits of amino acids on satiety and muscle growth DO NOT occur until they go beyond this point. So while you would like to maximize effeciency, it is not everything.
True, so wouldn't this be important for people who are using whey as their primary protein source whilst cutting? During my recent cut, I was relying heavily on whey due to its caloric efficiency at raising MPS. Had I timed my carbs/fats properly with the whey, I would have maximized MPS while maintaining a calorie deficit.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:09 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Definitely, I agree.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:16 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

the only issue i have with the second study is it basically proves something that was already subconciously done, how many naturally ingested foods, supplements have anti-oxidants in them
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Great post! The first study was very interesting, particularly in the older adult rats demonstrating that CHO had greater anabaolic effects post prandially than the fat.

Im curious as to what you guys think the mechanisms of each are. I think clearly insulin effects protein synthesis via a PI3-K-AKT-mTOR mechanism, and also via its ability to increase endothelial NO and thus skeletal muscle blood flow. So when combining carbs with amino acids the carbs should amplify the amino acids effects. And of course we know CHO has big time effects on protein breakdown.

Fats on the other hand arent so obvious to me. For one they may elivate certian anabolic hormones such as testosterone, and secondly it is possible that just by virtue of added substrate that they may spare the oxidation of amino acids

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html