Movie Reviews - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Movie Reviews

Post up movie reviews here, from films you have seen in theater recently. Preferably, they are still in the movies. Give it a rating 1-5 stars.

Watchmen - ONE STAR. Absolutely hated it! I had no connection with the characters. Kirtchack (however you spell his name) was the only guy that somewhat appeased to me. The comedian sucked...he was not even funny? Nothing he said made me laugh? Why is he the comedian? I just didn't get it. Of course, I never read the novel. That might have helped.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:32 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

yeh ill give watchmen a 1 too..i did not get it at all. dragged on for too long as well.

just saw mall cop. a bit childish but pretty funny. 3/5 stars.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:46 AM
Link is eating his greens
Light-Heavyweight

I Love You Man, 5 stars (there was nothing I can say bad about this movie, usually comedies have parts where the jokes stop, but this one had jokes every single line and they were all good)

Really watchmen was that bad? I was really looking forward to it. darn...
Old 03-31-2009, 03:57 AM
wyldhawk9 is enjoying coffee grounds in the protein shake!

I'd have to give Watchmen a 3.5 star rating...Venom, I think you're lowballing this one a bit. The comedian wasn't supposed to be funny; he's the direct and unapologetic representation of human depravity and selfishness--the fact that his handle is The Comedian is easily understood by the viewer as highly ironic--since he is the absolute antithesis of what one would assume given his name, the name itself intensifies the clarity of what he embodies: the total brokenness of humanity. It's quite well done as a matter of fact. One quickly loathes the character, which it seems you do, and wonders why he is one of the Watchmen at all, since he is so intrinsically evil (aren't superheroes supposed to be good guys? This is getting at the heart of what was so revolutionary about the novel).

I'd agree that Rorschach is the most compelling character in the film; without him, this thing is a total wash. I found his internal/psychological struggle (which identity would he choose to be, what to do with his painful past, whether principle was more valuable than relationships, etc.) to be the deepest, most satisfying and compelling dynamic of the film.

The premise of the Watchmen was the emergence of the anti-superhero and was more or less an experimentation with the idea of what if superheroes really weren't needed to address the world's problems and what would "superheroes'" lives be like if they became obsolete. The story also asks some really interesting questions, such as: What if the doers or good were immoral people? If good is accomplished through deception, can it still be good? What are more important, values or the people for whom values exist? What if truth would bring about evil...would it be better for evil to result from dissemination of truth? Are humans essentially good?

I agree that it's a very dark movie about several very flat/bland characters, but as art, the film is quite satisfying to me. There are some excellent shots and special effects, as well as some good character juxtaposition. I could see this one a second time.

I have recommended this film to friends of mine, but I can see why many people expecting a more "typical" superhero movie (like X-Men or Spiderman) won't appreciate it. It definitely does live up to the "R" rating as the director does not shy away from gore or nudity, so be advised if you're offended or grossed out easily. However, as you can see, I found plenty to appreciate in the film.

I give it 3.5 stars. The major weakness of the film was character development (hard to develop characters who are supposed to be flat, though), and continuity. It was a little hard to make some of the connections from about midway on, but there is plenty of good stuff in this film IMHO. If you do go to see it, make sure you read up on the story line first on wikipedia or the DC comics web site.

just my $.02
Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 AM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

I would not even give it a one to be honest. I felt like i was at the theater for four hours. Plus i got real tired of seeing blue guy junk the whole time. sorry hawk, but it has to have more than just special effects and good shots. very dissapointed with it.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:11 AM
Steel-Heavyweight

the knowing was pretty bad. it could have been good too, but the end was terrible.

slumdog was great
taken was awesome
gran torino was pretty cool. not what i expected.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

I have heard people give it good reviews. So far, I think its a love or hate type of movie. I had very high expectations when I came into see it...

Quote:
I would not even give it a one to be honest. I felt like i was at the theater for four hours. Plus i got real tired of seeing blue guy junk the whole time. sorry hawk, but it has to have more than just special effects and good shots. very dissapointed with it.

OMG, my friends and I were joking about this the whole night. Had nightmares!!!!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Last edited by Venom; 03-31-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneser3eb View Post
the knowing was pretty bad. it could have been good too, but the end was terrible.

slumdog was great
taken was awesome
gran torino was pretty cool. not what i expected.
those three movies were tops too. i really like taken and gran torino. though they were both predictable. acting was top notch.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 AM
Steel-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I have heard people give it good reviews. So far, I think its a love or hate type of movie. I had very high expectations when I came into see it...

OMG, my friends and I were joking about this the whole night. Had nightmares!!!!
my wife leaned over and said is that his weiner? I laughed and said unfortunately!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:38 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneser3eb View Post
my wife leaned over and said is that his weiner? I laughed and said unfortunately!
haha yeh..i couldnt take that part seriously. whenever his schlong came up i would be like; 'tehe, its BLUE'