Ryancostill, You're in the Well - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

What are the most common injuries you have seen?

What is the worst injury you have personally suffered and how did you deal with it?

What is the top 1 or 2 pre-hab tips you would give to fellow athletes?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

How did you get started in the strength/conditioning field? I would like to do that (for professional athletes) some day so I'd love to hear your story.

Do you listen to music to get you psyched for a big lift? If so, what... if not, what do you do?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 PM
ryancostill should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
What are the most common injuries you have seen?
Well I did my PhD thesis in the area of the biomechanics of the legs after rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament, so that is definitely the injury I have seen most often! (but of course that doesnt mean its is most common).

Working in rugby, I suppose the most often injury I see is relating to the shoulder. Just general muscle and tendon strains around the ball and socket joint. Usually related to poor flexibility and too great an emphasis on developing strength across the chest (too much bench!) and not enough counterbalancing strength in the back. In a nutshell: poor posture leading to poor flexibility across the shoulder leading to injuries occuring in the tackle.

Quote:
What is the worst injury you have personally suffered and how did you deal with it?
Probably an injury i am currently dealing with. It is very long term tendonitis in my wrist. It is not a catastrophic injury at all, I can still train (with some pain) but I do have to adjust my training (in terms of volume and the types of exercises I do). But its bad because I have had it for about 2 years and I am only now getting closer to resolution. I have been to a bunch of doctors and physiotherapists. But I had an MRI 4 days ago so hopefully that will reveal something. My physiotherapist thinks I may have some damage to the cartilage which is causing instability in my wrist, which in turn is causing the tendonitis type symptoms. So if that is the case, I may need some orthoscopy to clean it up. We'll see.

Quote:
What is the top 1 or 2 pre-hab tips you would give to fellow athletes?
Wow, I could write a couple of thousand words on this! In short:

- I think developing lower trap and middle back strength is very important in preventing against shoulder injury. I am talking about exercises like face pulls, scap retraction wall slides, scap push ups, band pull aparts, YTWLs.

- I think developing strong glutes (especially glute medius) is very important for most speed/power athletes before starting heavy hamstring. I have seen athletes run into hamstring problems after starting hamstring exercises like RDLs, strict bent over rows and nordic curls. These are great exercises but if the hamstrings are worked that hard and the glutes are pre-existingly weak, the hammies tend to get over worked, there is little to no glute activation when running/sprinting and the hamstrings get very tight and can pull. So I think, especially in the early preparation phase, most athletes could benefit from some simple glute strengthening work. Just a few exercises here and there like crab walk, lateral leg raises etc.

http://www.london2012.com/NR/rdonlyr...ghtlifting.jpg

Creatine: A literature review

Creatine: Practical Applications

International Symposium of Biomechanics in Sport
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootb33r View Post
How did you get started in the strength/conditioning field? I would like to do that (for professional athletes) some day so I'd love to hear your story.

Do you listen to music to get you psyched for a big lift? If so, what... if not, what do you do?
I studied sports and exercise science and in my 3rd year of study I got more and more into strength/con. I did my CSCS right after I graduated (2004). I began my PhD and began working voluntarily with a couple of athletes. Then with my background as a weightlifter I was approached by the pro rugby team I worked with to help them as they didnt really have anyone proficient in teaching cleans, snatches etc. They shared the same training facility that I worked in (voluntarily) and trained in myself so I knew alot of the coaches and players already. From there I actively pursued getting more paid work and I picked up a few gigs here and there but most work came through word of mouth from people I had previously worked with. I am making good money from certain gigs now but I still also do voluntary work. I think this is important, you can pick the athletes you work with and it helps to get your name out there.

Generally I dont listen to music before a big lift. In general before the snatch you have to try to tay somewhat realxed. Its such a technical lift (and my technique is poor!) that if you are too psyched up, technique alls apart. Generally I get a little psyched before clean and jerk. I just try to visualise the lift. First from an exeternal perspective (seeing myself doing the lift). Then from an internal perspective (1st person view/feel of doing the lifts). Then I clap my hands together twice quite loudly, to break out of the visualisation instantly and I approach the bar.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Achillesreborn is using his HIT Jedi mind tricks
HIT Jedi

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet life, out of curiosity how long was your PhD paper. I'm currently in second year Bachelor of Human Kinetics and was told by one of my professors that her PhD paper was like 250 pages!! Couldn't believe it.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillesreborn View Post
Sounds like you have a pretty sweet life, out of curiosity how long was your PhD paper. I'm currently in second year Bachelor of Human Kinetics and was told by one of my professors that her PhD paper was like 250 pages!! Couldn't believe it.

Well its sweet, I enjoy myself, but my coaching work right now is very much part-time. I probably do about 10-15 hours per week. I earn just enough to get by on really. But that suits me right now. Plenty of tme for training!

I only finished the doctorate about 2 months ago, so its nice to be able to be a little more relaxed. But I have just started actively looking for a full time position right now (be it in strength/con or teaching at in a 3rd level institution). Hopefully I will get something that would start in August/September. That would be ideal.

My thesis (not including appendices and references) was about 200 pages long I think. It was basically 3 different research papers. But really a doctoral thesis is more about quality than quantity. I have seen a thesis that was about 120 pages and it was far better than mine! Similarly I have seen a thesis which was 300 pages + which I thought was quite poor in quality.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

whats more important in your goals increasing the scales or visible improvement
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Super-Heavyweight

Default weightlifting goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
whats more important in your goals increasing the scales or visible improvement
The only goal for me is to become a better weightlifter. Right now that means getting as strong as possible as an 85kg lifter (187lbs) - although I train at about 88kg (193lbs). Ideally this will mean leaning out and getting as muscular as possible at that bodyweight, but as long as I am getting stronger and can snatch and clean and jerk more then I dont really care.

I can see myself moving up to the 94kg class (206lbs) soon though. I dont like cutting weight and in the long-term I think I can do better in that weight class.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Do you have any weightlifting competitions you are currently preparing for?

Given how much you enjoyed rugby growing up, do you ever find time to play rugby as a hobby?

If you have visited other countries, which ones did you visit and which was your favorite?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Do you have any weightlifting competitions you are currently preparing for?

Given how much you enjoyed rugby growing up, do you ever find time to play rugby as a hobby?

If you have visited other countries, which ones did you visit and which was your favorite?

Yeah I am preparing for my national championships (Ireland) in 4 weeks. Just starting to feel like I might be in good shape. One week after that I have the Small Nations tournament in Malta, so it will be fun to travel to a new country and lift there.

No I dont play rugby as a hobby. It wouldnt be very compatible with weightlifting to be honest. You pick up little knocks and bruises in every game (even if its just for fun) and this would definitely hold you back in weightlifting training. I miss it, but being involved with rugby in a coaching sense helps keep me in the sport so that is good compensation.

I have been lucky enough to have travelled alot. I have been to probably about 15 states in the USA, I have been to over a dozen countries in Europe like France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark, Czech republic and Andorra.

I have also been to Canada, China, Egypt and Brazil. It would be hard to pick a favourite. Brazil was one of the most fun places. Insane night life, beautiful people, great beaches, really hospitable people and fantastic music. In terms of scenic beauty, the coast of Croatia is stunning, lots of little islands, rocky coast and some of the most crystal clear blue sea water you can imagine. In terms of culture Egypt and China were fascinating just because they were so different.

Closed Thread