Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickBU View Post
Back on topic... what's one piece of equipment in your home gym outside of the staples (rack, bench, bars, DBs, plates) that you consider essential to your training? What's a non-staple piece of equipment that you feel everyone should consider owning?
oh, besides dip belt, foam roller is nice, I am a new believer in them.
did I cheat, I ended up naming 3 items (if you include the milk crate)?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

What do you do with the foam roller?

What are your guilty pleasures?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaydubyoo View Post
Plan on competing in any competitions soon?
I have my eye on a powerlifting competition on October 31, 2009. I will not compete unless I can reach several goals for myself.

Those goals would be:

1) Cut down to 181 class. I am going to cut as soon as Smolov is finished to try and look a little better for summer. Then I plan on trying to stay close to 181 because I could be more competitive in that class as compared to 198's.
2) Bench 300. I am close, my 290 was not paused. I think I could pause around 280 right now. My lockout is my problem, so my triceps are definitely in need of some work.
3) Pull 500. Definitely within reach. My deadlift has been getting stronger during Smolov without training it. My max is 430 but I recently pulled 426x3 so I know my max is higher than that now.
4) Squat 400. Again, within reach. I hoping to finish Smolov with another 25 lb PR that would put me at 365. I would then run Smolov again 13 weeks prior to the contest to put me up over 400 (assuming it works half as well the 2nd time, which I think it will).

If I could lift 1200 in the 181 class I would be competive in the ADAU powelifting federation. If not, then it wouldn't be worth my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaydubyoo View Post
What is your pet peeve?
Hypocrisy

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootb33r View Post
What do you do with the foam roller?

What are your guilty pleasures?
The foam roller is my guilty pleasure....

Imagine the possibilities....jk

I mostly use it to roll my IT band. It helps keep it loose which lessens tension on the lateral side of the knee cap which causes pain in full flexion.

Here is an example of what I do with it (video)

It can be used for other muscles, here is a great article that really explains its benefits and proper usage in detail.

Guilty Pleasures:
I think I revealed them all in the Un-Macho thread, lol!

I am who I am at this point in my life and there is not much that would embarass me if other's found out that I do it/like it/etc.

However, as a punk-rock teenager, rap music was my guilty pleasure. As a punk rocker, I wasn't supposed to like any other music and my friends would have ragged on me if they knew, so rap was definitely a guilty pleasure.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 PM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

I already had a great deal of respect for you, but after reading that story it's grown to a new level, stand up guy. I was actually thinking about this topic during work this week for some reason. What I'd would do if I found out that my daughter wasn't mine. Came to the conclusion at this point nothing can separate our bond, I'd treat her as my own regardless. Which leads me to my next question.

Do you and your wife plan to inform your son of this subject later in life?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
I already had a great deal of respect for you, but after reading that story it's grown to a new level, stand up guy. I was actually thinking about this topic during work this week for some reason. What I'd would do if I found out that my daughter wasn't mine. Came to the conclusion at this point nothing can separate our bond, I'd treat her as my own regardless.

Thank you for the kind words HardCory. And regarding your bond with your daughter, I believe you came to the correct conclusion.

Which leads me to my next question.

Do you and your wife plan to inform your son of this subject later in life?
Very good question. Yes, we do. Although, sometimes, I question the value of talking about it, just because the older he gets the more I believe that he is biologically mine. For instance, my wife surprised me on my 30th birthday and sent some old pictures to the church. When I was about to lead worship like I do every Sunday, they posted up my 1st grade picture and graduation picture with a big "Happy Birthday" on a Power Point projection. Everyone commented on how much Julius looked like I did in my 1st grade picture, and I looked at the picture and they were right. We really look similar at that age.

But at the same time, I think he has a right to know. How my wife and I will bring it up? That's a whole separate issue. We honestly have no idea at this point. 8 years old is too young to broach the subject so we have some time to think about it.

Last edited by Commander; 03-27-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

When I was going to PT for my shoulder i did some foam roller exercises... hurt like hell, but I didn't notice much of a difference- then again, I didn't do them for very long because my shoulder got better (I attribute that to rest haha).

If you had to choose one TV channel to watch for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Is your favorite cereal Christ Chex? (Dane Cook reference... and I apologize but I couldn't help myself... I'm obviously joking ).

What is your favorite activity to do with your son?

What do you do on a typical Friday or Saturday night?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:15 PM
antisteroids is IN LOVE WITH OLD STYLE HACK SQUATS
Middleweight

franco is a child im his father he comes to me for advices so on the day of the contest
its not that hard for me to give him the wrong advces![2nd fav quote of the movie

whats your fav pumping iron quote?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
misterjaydubyoo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I have my eye on a powerlifting competition on October 31, 2009. I will not compete unless I can reach several goals for myself.

Those goals would be:

1) Cut down to 181 class. I am going to cut as soon as Smolov is finished to try and look a little better for summer. Then I plan on trying to stay close to 181 because I could be more competitive in that class as compared to 198's.
2) Bench 300. I am close, my 290 was not paused. I think I could pause around 280 right now. My lockout is my problem, so my triceps are definitely in need of some work.
3) Pull 500. Definitely within reach. My deadlift has been getting stronger during Smolov without training it. My max is 430 but I recently pulled 426x3 so I know my max is higher than that now.
4) Squat 400. Again, within reach. I hoping to finish Smolov with another 25 lb PR that would put me at 365. I would then run Smolov again 13 weeks prior to the contest to put me up over 400 (assuming it works half as well the 2nd time, which I think it will).

If I could lift 1200 in the 181 class I would be competive in the ADAU powelifting federation. If not, then it wouldn't be worth my money.

Hypocrisy

Dude those goals are definitely attainable and I know you will not just meet them, but exceed them. As for pet peeve, I have many, but that is definitely one of the biggest ones I have as well.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootb33r View Post
When I was going to PT for my shoulder i did some foam roller exercises... hurt like hell, but I didn't notice much of a difference- then again, I didn't do them for very long because my shoulder got better (I attribute that to rest haha).

I noticed a difference almost immediately with the lateral pain in my knee. That is why I was sold on foam rollings effectiveness so quickly. It hurts so bad when you roll a muscle/ligament that's tight or has scar tissue. But once you roll consistently for a few weeks it is amazing the difference in tissue quality and how much less the actually rolling hurts.

If you had to choose one TV channel to watch for the rest of your life, what would it be?

None, but to play along, if I had to pick one, ESPN. I enjoy sports and I enjoy the humor on Sportscenter. Something like History Channel would be a close 2nd.

Is your favorite cereal Christ Chex? (Dane Cook reference... and I apologize but I couldn't help myself... I'm obviously joking ).

What is your favorite activity to do with your son?

Hiking. Both of my boys enjoy nature as much as I do. My boys have got pretty good hiking legs, they can take long hikes and handle some tough terrain. It's great bonding with them during the hikes.

What do you do on a typical Friday or Saturday night?
Well this Saturday I will be watching the PITT vs. Villanova game. But most Saturday and Friday nights are spent at home. In fact, when my 8 year old comes home from gymnastics practice on Friday night, we usually have "Mommy Wii Night." That is where my wife works on her Legend of Zelda game for the Wii. The boys LOVE watching her play this. Saturday night is "Movie Night" where we pick a movie from our collection or go out and rent one and watch it as a family.

Closed Thread