Starting Strength - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 04:56 AM
kawn is ready to pump
Rookie

Default Starting Strength

Been working out for a year, did it all wrong.
Started working out on form and technique this year but was using a ****ty routine. Now I've read a lot more on body building, gonna use this knowledge to do my best on this routine.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Pendlay Rows

3 days a week.

16 years old
height ; 6 feet
weight ; 154
I'm something in between an ectomorph and an endomorph I'd say since I started working out badly last september I was 128 pounds, now I'm 154 so I think I put on weight pretty well?

Anyways, my goals for this program are
to get to 165

I'm also gonna be re making my diet, I don't think I'm getting enough protein or carbs, although I do eat a lot daily.

Breakfast(7 20AM): Oatmeal, banana, yogurt, nuts
Nutrition Break(10:00 AM); Apple, peanut butter jelly sandwich,
Lunch(Noon); Sandwich with 2 pieces of cheese, meat 16g protein/100g, full grain oat bread.
Then I have my last two blocks in which I usually eat more nuts(just peanuts or almonds, I need to get a mix though) and I eat 2 more apples and one orange.

That part of my day is good, but I need to put something in for a 3-4 oclock meal, I have dinner with my dad and he makes me pasta,rice you know the good stuff.. but i need to eat something in between 3-4 so I don't lose out there, any ideas guys?

dinner I don't think is a problem, sometimes we have turkey cutlets, sometimes salmon filets, its usually good stuff and I eat with vegetables.

then at 9-930 I eat my cottage cheese and sometimes have some butter milkf or yogurt, or all three.

Now that I have it written down it's interesting, cause I can see where I can make changes.
Well tomorrow I'll have an egg with my breakfast.
How much milk do you guys suggest I should be drinking? Right now I drink a gallon a week, I'm thinking maybe 6-7L a week or roughly 1.8 gallons. I'm also trying to watch my water intake and increase that. I don't eat much junkfood, oh yeah, and I need reccomendations for a PWO.

I don't take any supplements right now.

I have lots of extra virgin olive oil with my dinner or lunch usually.
I'm gonna pick up some flaxseeds.
And I'll pick up some quinoa.
Oh and I've switched to drinking green tea without sugar.

Suggestions, alterations. Help me please :}
Old 01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

you picked a great program, IMO, for starting out and building a foundation.

a gallon per week of water? should be closer to a gallon per day. (I did it again, sorry)

green tea without sugar? nasty , I love splenda in my green tea.

you already mentioned you were snacking on nuts between meals, that shoudl be good unless you are starving.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 01-26-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

"How much milk do you guys suggest I should be drinking? Right now I drink a gallon a week"

actually he's drinking a gallon of milk a week, not water. a gallon of milk is not bad, i go through about the same. but yea, like commander said, u should be having close to a gallon of water a day, especially if your on creatine. everything else seems pretty good. if you have time on one of your average eating days, you should write down everything you eat and drink and figure out your calories, protein, carb, and fat intake. it will help to see how many calories you are over your maintenance level and see if your macronutrient intakes are good or not.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 AM
kawn is ready to pump
Rookie

Had my first workout today, I shoulda had something to eat closer to the workout as I was feeling a tad famished.
Got my teacher to watch my squats he said they were fine but I'm gonna try and go lower, anyways I did 2 warm up sets for everything with bar weight then 50% of the usual weight.

Squats
3x5x135 LBS

Felt pretty easy, nice and good. I felt like I was really hitting my form dead on. I think I'll add 10 pounds next time.

Bench
3x5x85 LBS

Quite easy aswell, looking forward to adding 5lbs next workout actually.

Deadlifts
1x5x135lbs

Had no problems here, gonna add on 10 lbs next time.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 AM
kawn is ready to pump
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
you picked a great program, IMO, for starting out and building a foundation.

a gallon per week of water? should be closer to a gallon per day. (I did it again, sorry)

green tea without sugar? nasty , I love splenda in my green tea.

you already mentioned you were snacking on nuts between meals, that shoudl be good unless you are starving.
I'd have to agree, I was doing Bill Starrs 5x5 for 2 weeks already, but a kind gentlemen on the forums suggested I switch over to this, so I have.

I drink about a gallon a day, actually I should probably drink more water, especially at school.

lol! Green tea with sugar tastes kinda off I find it really relaxing(the slightly bitter taste)

I posted about my meal plan on the nutrition forum, but yeah the nuts are really keeping me topped off :-)
Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 AM
kawn is ready to pump
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
"How much milk do you guys suggest I should be drinking? Right now I drink a gallon a week"

actually he's drinking a gallon of milk a week, not water. a gallon of milk is not bad, i go through about the same. but yea, like commander said, u should be having close to a gallon of water a day, especially if your on creatine. everything else seems pretty good. if you have time on one of your average eating days, you should write down everything you eat and drink and figure out your calories, protein, carb, and fat intake. it will help to see how many calories you are over your maintenance level and see if your macronutrient intakes are good or not.
I am not on creatine, infact I'm thinking about which supplements to buy, I don't want to buy more then one to be perfectly honest, somehow I feel supplements take away from eating ya know? Yes, I think that is a great idea, infact I'll write down my diet tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 AM
kawn is ready to pump
Rookie

Workout B today

So I did
2 warmup sets, 1 bar, 1 50%

then
squats
3x5x145

military press
3x5x65

powercleans
3x5x55

It was my first time oding power cleans, so I was really trying to get my technique down before I went any further, my gym teacher helped me lots.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
BigBadRick is The Incredible Hulk
Bantamweight

Did you use the same amount of weight for each normal set?

So, for squats you did - after your warm up set - 3 sets of 5 reps each at 145 pounds?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:40 AM
kawn is ready to pump
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadRick View Post
Did you use the same amount of weight for each normal set?

So, for squats you did - after your warm up set - 3 sets of 5 reps each at 145 pounds?
Yes. That is precisely what I did my good sir.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawn View Post
It was my first time oding power cleans, so I was really trying to get my technique down before I went any further, my gym teacher helped me lots.
good idea man, looking foward to watching you progress.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano