Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 04:33 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 11

February 11, 2009

Path To Humility

READ: Psalm 131

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. —James 4:10

My friend declared, as he tried to keep a straight face, “I’m so proud of my humility!” That reminds me of the joke about a leader who was given an award for his humility. Because he accepted the award, it was taken back the following week!

David seemed to be making the same error when he said, “My heart is not haughty” (Ps. 131:1). When we understand the text, however, we know that he wasn’t boasting about his humility. Rather, in response to the accusation of treason made by Saul’s men, David stated he didn’t consider himself so important nor think of himself so highly as to have “lofty” eyes.

Instead, David learned to be like a “weaned child” in the Lord’s arms (v.2). Like a baby who is completely dependent on his parents, he waited on God for His protection while he was a fugitive under King Saul’s pursuit. In his darkest hour, David realized his need and then advised his people: “Hope in the Lord from this time forth and forever” (v.3).

The path to humility is twofold. It involves knowing who we are—having a proper self-esteem rather than thinking too highly of self. But most important, it requires knowing who God is—holding Him in highest esteem and trusting Him for His best in His time. — Albert Lee

Humility’s a slippery prize
That seldom can be won;
We’re only humble in God’s eyes
When serving like His Son. —Gustafson

When we think we’re humble—we’re not.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
Anyone listen to K-LOVE here?
No, I listen to WORD-FM out of Pittsburgh, 101.5 FM

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-11-2009, 09:32 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

I listen to 91.3 Truth-radio out of Oxford. Excellent devotional today. Good job. If we should all learn humility, I think the world would be a lot more smiles.

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

All I have to say is I love Christian music, it's really hard to find artists this day and age who deliver positive messages. It makes me proud to hear my 2 year old daughter sing these songs, her favorite is "Slow Fade" by Casting Crowns, she likes to sing the last part w/ the little girl. What are your guys favorite Christian bands or artists? My favorite by far is MercyMe, I also a big fan of Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, Third Day, actually I like too many to name, my Ipod has a giant collection of them. Lately that's what I've been working out too, crazy enough I've even worked out listening to Dr. Charles Stanley preach.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 12

February 12, 2009

Learning From Lincoln

READ: Proverbs 3:1-8

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. —Proverbs 3:6

The day before his 52nd birthday, Abraham Lincoln left Springfield, Illinois, to become President of the United States. With the threat of civil war looming, he said goodbye to the friends and neighbors who had come to see him off. “I now leave,” he told them, “not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell.”

Lincoln’s reliance on God for guidance and strength reflects the instruction of Solomon: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths” (Prov. 3:5-6).

On this 200th anniversary of Lincoln’s birth, we celebrate his kindness, integrity, and courage. And we can also learn from him how to face a daunting future with confident hope in the Lord. — David C. McCasland

Into His hands I lay the fears that haunt me,
The dread of future ills that may befall;
Into His hands I lay the doubts that taunt me,
And rest securely, trusting Him for all. —Christiansen

Living without trust in God is like driving in the fog.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM
alang is hating tendonitis!!!
Rookie

Default Relevant Humility

Sorry for the late reply, but here's something relevant to humility:

My son had his talent show last night in school. He and two of his buddies put together a skit and mom & I cringed as we watched. It was terrible (which blew us away because he is usually such an amazingly high achiever). I must admit that I had feelings of embarrassment and disappointment inside of me as I watched. I was feeling pretty low - as I watched the other 30 performances which were actually very good. Then I thought of yesterday's devotional which focused on "Humility". I gathered myself, and took a new view on the event. When I saw him after the show I told him he did a great job, and that I was proud of him for getting up in front of a huge audience and doing his thing. He gave me a big hug, then looked me in the eyes and told me "Dad, we were terrible - but at least we had a lot of fun doing it - he then ran off to the after-party down the hall, and had a lot of fun with his friends". After seeing how accepting and resilient he was of a small failure, I thanked God for helping me to be supportive and kind instead of saying something stupid.

Thanks for the devotional - it definitely helped me to be a better person!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 PM
ASINES is moving some iron
Bantamweight

Fantastic idea for a thread guys.........I'll mark this one.....
Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alang View Post

My son had his talent show last night in school. He and two of his buddies put together a skit and mom & I cringed as we watched. It was terrible (which blew us away because he is usually such an amazingly high achiever). I must admit that I had feelings of embarrassment and disappointment inside of me as I watched. I was feeling pretty low - as I watched the other 30 performances which were actually very good. Then I thought of yesterday's devotional which focused on "Humility". I gathered myself, and took a new view on the event. When I saw him after the show I told him he did a great job, and that I was proud of him for getting up in front of a huge audience and doing his thing. He gave me a big hug, then looked me in the eyes and told me "Dad, we were terrible - but at least we had a lot of fun doing it - he then ran off to the after-party down the hall, and had a lot of fun with his friends". After seeing how accepting and resilient he was of a small failure, I thanked God for helping me to be supportive and kind instead of saying something stupid.

I would also look at it this way, how many times has God looked down on you cringed because you weren't giving your best performance, probably daily, I know that I'm always coming up short. But the awesome thing is God still love us, we need to show the same unconditional love towards our children.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 13

February 13, 2009

Enduring Love

READ: 1 Corinthians 13:1-8

[Love] bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. —1 Corinthians 13:7

Like many people, I enjoy the Google homepage artwork that appears on special days and holidays. Last Valentine’s Day, the artistic logo showed an older couple—a man with a cane and a white-haired woman—walking hand in hand as the woman held two heart-shaped balloons. It was a beautiful reminder that while our culture glorifies youthful romance, true love has many stages during our journey through life.

Paul’s great essay in 1 Corinthians 13 celebrates the depth and tenacity of the love that carries us beyond self-interest and mere affection. “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails” (vv.4-8).

Brian Wren has captured this reality in his moving hymn, “When Love Is Found”:

When love is tried as loved ones change,
Hold still to hope though all seems strange,
Till ease returns, and love grows wise
Through listening ears and opened eyes.
© Hope Publishing Co.

When our commitments are tested in the fires of life, no matter what difficulties we face, may God grant us a greater experience of His enduring love and the grace to demonstrate it each day. — David C. McCasland

God’s love is a fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of adversity.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alang View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
I would also look at it this way, how many times has God looked down on you cringed because you weren't giving your best performance, probably daily, I know that I'm always coming up short. But the awesome thing is God still love us, we need to show the same unconditional love towards our children.
Great posts.
We are so lucky to have a Heavenly Father who loves us the way he does, if God treated us half as bad as we sometimes treat our children by yelling when we shouldn't or possibly putting them down....life would be miserable.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano