Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 04:36 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Default Jan. 30

January 30, 2009

Planting Time

READ: Galatians 6:6-10

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. —Galatians 6:7

Somewhere in the world right now a farmer is dropping seeds into the ground. Soon those seeds will begin to change the place where they were planted. The carefully prepared soil that appears barren today will become a field ready for harvest.

In the same way, New Year’s resolutions can be seeds to alter the landscape of life for others and ourselves. This prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi is a powerful model of this longing to bring positive change in a hurting world:

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.

A farmer who sows wheat is never surprised when wheat grows from the ground where it was planted. That’s the universal law of sowing and reaping. Paul used it to illustrate a corresponding spiritual principle: “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap” (Gal. 6:7). Our sinful nature says, “Satisfy yourself,” while the Spirit urges us to please God (v.8).

Today is planting time. God has promised: “In due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart” (v.9). — David C. McCasland

Let’s sow good deeds though life be grim
And leave the harvest time with Him;
Let’s give and serve as to the Lord
And look to Him for our reward. —Jarvis

Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I have never been persecuted either. I hope when the day comes, I make my Heavenly Father proud.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

1 John 1:9 (New International Version)

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-31-2009, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

"but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke."

Acts 6:10

Picked up in the middle of the sentence, but this one is so strong. This is speaking of Stephen who was one of the seven chosen by the twelve disciples to handle the smaller duties. It's crazy how many times someone comes up and either questions or insults my faith. Far too often my immediate response is to get angry, my emotions can get the best of me at times. What I've learned to work on is not acting on my emotions, rather looking to God for guidance. With the help of the Holy Spirit these people will not present a logical argument. I guess it's something a lot of us need a little work on.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Default Jan. 31

January 31, 2009

A Breach In The Wall

READ: Nehemiah 4:7-18

The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father. —1 John 2:16

The 4,000-mile-long Great Wall of China was built to keep out invaders from the north. The first wall was constructed by Shi Huangdi, the first emperor of China, who lived between 259 and 210 bc. But in ad 1644 the Manchus broke through the Great Wall and overran China. They did this by bribing a general of the Ming dynasty to open the gates.

During the reconstruction of ancient Jerusalem, Nehemiah understood the acute danger posed by those who opposed the rebuilding of the city’s ruined walls. So he commanded constant vigilance. Half of the workers were to stand watch while half rebuilt the walls (Neh. 4:13-18).

As Christians, we must be vigilant that nothing breaches our spiritual defenses. Even the most mature believer can never afford to let down his guard.

The apostle John warns us of enemies from three quarters. He identifies them as “the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life” (1 John 2:16). These enemies lure us away from God and His Word and leave a gap for the enemy to sneak in.

Let’s be alert to what entices us today. A lapse opens the door to sin, which in turn may develop into a habit that overwhelms us. Don’t permit a breach in the wall. — C. P. Hia

It may not be some heinous deed
That chills our hearts and chokes the seed;
It’s often just a trifling toy
That grabs our eye and steals our joy. —Gustafson

The world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. —1 John 2:17
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 1

February 1, 2009

God Is At Work

READ: Philippians 2:12-18

It is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. —Philippians 2:13

We always crave change in a new year. This is why on January 1 we start diets, exercise programs, and new hobbies. Of course, a month later we’re usually back to our old bad habits. Maybe that’s because we crave too big a change and do not have enough power and will to make the changes.

I wonder how many Jesus-followers have made commitments to change and grow spiritually but are experiencing frustration because they don’t have the will and power to carry out those steps.

Paul addresses this issue in his letter to the Philippians. As he encouraged them to work out their salvation with fear and trembling (2:12), Paul said they would not be on their own. God Himself would energize them to grow and carry out His tasks. The first area affected would be their desires. God was at work in them, giving them the desire to change and grow. He was also working to give them the power to make the actual changes (v.13).

God has not left us alone in our struggles to attain spiritual growth. He helps us want to obey Him, and then He gives us the power to do what He wants. Ask Him to help you want to do His will. — Marvin Williams

Every day more like my Savior,
Every day my will resign,
Until at last Christ reigns supremely
In this grateful heart of mine. —Brandt

The power that compels us comes from the Spirit who indwells us.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 2

February 2, 2009

Punxsutawney Phil

READ: 2 Peter 1:16-21

We have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed. —2 Peter 1:19

Punxsutawney Phil is a groundhog that comes out of his burrow on Gobbler’s Knob, Pennsylvania, each February 2 to predict the weather. According to legend, if Phil sees his shadow, there will be 6 more weeks of cold weather. If he doesn’t see his shadow, spring will come early.

This is all humbug and good humor, of course. No one to my knowledge takes Phil’s predictions seriously. Furthermore, he’s unreliable—more often wrong than right, I’m told.

There is One, however, who is always right and whom we must take seriously. Peter writes of Him, “We have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts” (2 Peter 1:19).

Peter was thinking of that day on the Mount of Transfiguration with James and John when he saw Jesus standing with the two great prophets of the Old Testament, Moses and Elijah. In that august company of true prophets the Father pointed to the Son and said: “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!” (Luke 9:35). Jesus’ word is a “prophetic word” that is certain!

There is One who is never wrong and who will never lead us astray: our Lord Jesus. We must hear Him! — David H. Roper

At the name of Jesus bowing,
Falling prostrate at His feet,
King of kings in heaven we’ll crown Him
When our journey is complete. —Baxter

In a world full of speculation, only God’s Word is certain.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 3

February 3, 2009

A Refresher Course On God’s Majesty

READ: Exodus 33:1-11

You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live. —Exodus 33:20

My book Disappointment With God explores three questions many Christians ask: Is God hidden? Is God silent? Is God unfair? It struck me that those questions did not trouble the Hebrews in the Sinai wilderness. They saw evidence of God every day, heard Him speak, and lived under a contract signed in His own hand. Out of this relationship emerged a great gift from the Jews to the world: monotheism—the belief in one sovereign, holy God.

Today many treat God like a cosmic good buddy. We could use a refresher course from the Old Testament on God’s majesty.

Pastor Gordon MacDonald writes, “The most costly sins I have committed came at a time when I briefly suspended my reverence for God. . . . I quietly (and insanely) concluded that God didn’t care and most likely wouldn’t intervene were I to risk the violation of one of His commandments.”

MacDonald says his own love for God has moved away from a sentimental model, which never satisfied him, to something closer to a father/son model. He is learning to reverence, obey, and thank God; to express appropriate sorrow for sin; to pursue a quietness in which he might hear God whisper. He seeks a relationship with God appropriate to the profound difference between the two parties.

As God’s children, we may “come boldly to the throne of grace” (Heb. 4:16). But let us ever be mindful of our Father’s inestimable majesty. — Philip Yancey

To worship is to recognize the supreme worth of God.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:33 AM
fightbackhxc21 is the best part of waking up, is protein in your cup!
Middleweight

a couple cool things i found.

Video Devotionals (good for in the morning)http://www.edgecf.com/videos.html
and Sermons-http://www.harvest.org/radio/a-new-beginning-radio/home.html

www.biolayne.com
http://www.scivation.com/forums/show...6536#post26536

www.c28.com
Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
alang is hating tendonitis!!!
Rookie

Thanks fightback, I enjoyed "What's cookin?", and will check out more.