Help with cardio - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 PM
DanThaMan should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Help with cardio

I don't really know if this is the place to ask this question, because I haven't been on here in awhile... But, I am in need of some help with my cardio. I am late in my college years and have been slacking on my exercise for the past couple of years, to say the least. I always played sports in high school which gave me a reason to keep exercising, but when I went to college I got used to the whole sitting around and drinking thing...

I just recently started lifting weights again and it feels good. I tried to start back on some cardio as well but the usual cardio technique, running, just is not working for me. I am 6'4 and about 270 lbs right now, and I would have to say my fighting weight would be around 200. So when I run my lower back hurts alottttt, and I would assume it is because I am hauling around so much extra weight. So my question is, where should I start on my cardio? What are some other effective cardio techniques that would help me get in shape while not putting so much stress on my back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:24 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Have you started dieting to shed some of the pounds? Also there's a few alternatives for cardio, you could start out walking until you get to a comfortable weight that won't hurt your back during running. Or if you want to train at a higher intensity without having back pain I'd recommend the bike with some resistance for 20-30 min, no less than 2-3 times a week. Keep up the normal weight regimen you should be on your way. Good luck.

God Bless.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:29 AM
bsimpson is feeling good
Middleweight

Have you tried a bike or elliptical machine? Or get yourself into a pool and do some laps! I would wait on the running until you get your weight down some. If you dont you will be looking at damage to the knee and ankles, increased risk of ankle strains/ sprains and low back pain like you are complaining of. high intensity low impact is your ticket!
Goal: Cut to 170

"Somewhere there is a little girl warming up with your max..." - Vlad
Old 12-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

Empty stomach cardio=weight loss

All you do is not eat while you sleep then wake up and get on the treadmill/bike/ellip whatever you want machine for about 40 min at a brisk pace...no running. Cut the carbs down every other day in your diet and you should be good to go in no time.
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde
Old 12-21-2008, 01:52 AM
rahaas is aka Rob
Stranger

Why not just pay more attention to your diet and lift weights if your goal is to lose weight?
Cardio is pretty much a waste of time IMO.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:31 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

I'll have to disagree with the last post, cardio is never a waste of time, it's essential. And to further the post before that, doing it in the morning before breakfast is a good idea. I would recommend getting some caffeine and BCAA's into your system about 30 mins before.

God Bless.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 AM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahaas View Post
Why not just pay more attention to your diet and lift weights if your goal is to lose weight?
Cardio is pretty much a waste of time IMO.
uh huh now tell that to anyone who's had cardiovascular system problems, the only thing good for your heart is..........CARDIO
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM
rahaas is aka Rob
Stranger

You guys need to get better informed.
First, if you don't eat where does the energy come from? Burning fat? I don't think so, at least not entirely ; you'll burn fat and precious LBM.

BTW: cardio is good for your heart. So is a well designed body building weight training & diet management program. This is a bodybuilding forum correct?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Couple cardio tips for you:

1. You will adapt overtime to things like running. Right now your lower back may hurt, but if you slowly progress on this, you'll be fine.
2. Studies show you metabolize more fat during low intensity/mod intensity cardio if you perform a high intensity workout before the session. So an example would be 15 minutes of interval training sprints, or weights, 30 mins low intensity cardio
3. I like variable cardio. Great way to avoid overuse injuries, staleness, and metabolize a lot more calories. See my journal for a lot of examples of this. Just the last several pages.
4. I am not a big advocate of morning cardio. If you want to optimize fat oxidation, follow tip number 2.
5. Are you just bodybuilding, or do you play sports? If you are doing cardio for a sport, then you better practice specific to that sport. I.E. If you box, then practice boxing for your cardio.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Quote:
BTW: cardio is good for your heart. So is a well designed body building weight training & diet management program. This is a bodybuilding forum correct?
Why cardio:

1. Studies show chronic cardio enhances various fat transporters, increasing fat metabolism during the day. Especially high intensity cardio. Many other adaptations are made, such as enhanced mitochondria, which are also important for fat metabolism.
2. Actually, there are studies which show that pure resistance trained athletes may have more vascular stiffness. Cardio has been shown to decrease endothelial factor 1, which is a major vasoconstrictor. This has one major effect of improving blood flow, and insulin sensitivity.
3. Much more efficient way to metabolize calories and fat.
4. No, you can not get the same cardiovascular benefits from weights. The greatest adaptations cardiovascularly will be made with high intensity interval training.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Tags
cardio