12 Week Fat Loss - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 PM
alang is hating tendonitis!!!
Rookie

Default 12 Week Fat Loss

The goal of starting this journal for me is to hold myself accountable for the choices that I make with my fitness. In other words, by making a committment to you all, in lieu of just to myself (which I have really struggled with over the years), I feel that my chances of success are greatly increased.

A little about me: 39, 6'3", 255 lb, 33% bf (embarrassing), married & father of three. I was very much into bb 15 years ago, and have intermittently worked out for 15 years (obviously more off than on).

Monday of this week, I started strictly following the 12 Week Fat Loss Program described on this site. Although I would like to also follow the Fat Loss Diet Plan, because of my family life, I can't - so this is basically what I will eat every day:

8:00am Glass water, protein shake, multivitamin
10:30am Glass water, 12 almonds, 6 dried apricots
1:00pm Glass water, turkey on whole wheat bread, grape tomatoes, carrots
3:00pm Glass water, nonfat yogurt, apple
6:00pm Glass water, 1 & 1/2 chicken breasts (thin) over romaine lettuce w/ dried cranberries, gorgonzola cheese, walnuts, bermuda onion, light dressing
8:30pm Glass water, nonfat weight watchers ice cream

My initial goal is to lose 10% body weight (25 lbs), and get bf under 30%. Long term (within a year), I want to lose 50 lbs, and get bf to 20%. While doing this, I want to add as much muscle as possible.

I will log in weekly with results.

Please provide any feedback that you feel will help me.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Rookie

Default 12 Week Fat Loss

Ok. 4 days into the working out, and feeling superb. One question though, why is the cardio as prescribed in this workout the most effective at maximizing fat loss when you work at 60 - 70 % of maximum heart rate? I am going with no problem for 30 minutes. In fact, I constantly have to reduce my speed on the elliptical cross trainer to get my heart rate back down to the 60 - 70 % range. I feel like I should be working harder. I know that some other workouts (I.E. Body for Life) have you doing high intensity interval training - working up to a point where you can't possibly work any harder. Which is more effective, and why?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Rookie

Default Question

All right. It's been almost two weeks since I started training, and I feel great. I've lost 9 lbs, and already have a lot more energy, and feel and look better! I have a question for anyone willing to help me out.

I am following the 12 week fat loss program that ABC Bodybuilding recommends (with the understanding that this is not just a 12 week program, but a change in the way that I live my life - a change to a bodybuilding lifestyle):

Monday Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Tuesday Abs/30 minutes cardio
Wednesday Quads/Hamstrings/Calves
Thursday Abs/30 minutes cardio
Friday Back/Biceps/Forearms
Saturday 30 minutes cardio
Sunday Off

My weight training feels great, but my cardio feels like it could be kicked up quite a bit. I am staying in the "Fat Loss" training range with my heartrate (which for me is 118) for 30 minutes, but I just don't feel like I am working hard enough. Why does this program hold you back from working out harder with regards to cardio? Does it have to do with burning muscle insead of fat by overtraining? Also, will I hurt my progress by doing cardio 4 or 5 times a week after I do my weight training? I usually have time in the gym while I wait for my wife after I finish with the weights (she runs for a long time), and would like to spend the time doing more cardio.

Thanks,

Alan
Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
gambit should change his/her status!
Stranger

I recommend you looking into their 13 week fat burning program that they published later after the 12 week one. Its a little more in depth and recommends a variety of cardio including High Intensity Interval Training which has been proven to be an effective fat burner.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the imput. I have not seen the 13 week program - is there a link to it?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Stranger

Diet:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/13wee...urningdiet.pdf

Work out:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/13wee...ingworkout.pdf
Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Rookie

Many thanks. Will read and follow up with more questions / comments if required.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Rookie

I have read the 13 week workout / 13 week diet plan, and I think that this is too advanced for where I am at right now. Although I was seriously into bodybuilding in the past, I unfortuantely let myself go quite a bit, and need to stick to basic movements, and a basic (healthy) diet for at least a few months in order to rebuild the muscle that I once had, and lose the fat that I have accumulated. I am excited to try the methods described in the future, and thank you for your help.

I am still wondering if I should stick to only 2-3 cardio sessions per week, or if I should do cardio 6 days a week, and what the best way to lose fat is: 30 minutes of traditional cardio at 60-70% max heart rate, or HIIT for 20 minutes?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Stranger

They discussed the best fat burning cardio here: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/Nutri...oningpart4.pdf

Basically it refutes the argument that HIIT boosts your metabolism and burns calories even after the cardio.

According to their study, best fat burning levels (50% of calories burned coming from fat) are achieved at 65% of your V02 maximal capacity.

This can be calculated as
((220 - age - resting heart rate) * .65) + resting heart rate = heart rate you should be doing cardio at to burn fat

According to that article, this heart rate will give you optimal fat burning.

Most of their programs advocate lifting mostly with one day of cardio per week since their philosophy is build muscle to burn fat but if you really want to do cardio, 2-3 sessions a week in addition to your lifting days is probably fine.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Gambit,

Thank you for all of your help. I read the article, and although it is very scientific, I get the picture. I will continue on with 3 sessions of cardio per week at 65% max heart rate, and see where that gets me.