HOT TUBS and HEAT SHOCK - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

this was a conversation i was having over at my other thread on another forum...here is her response and my response is in blue.

HSP --> Wouldn't that invoke the inflammatory response for longer, and keep the free radicals in the muscle longer, and well as the reactive oxidative species? I thought we want inflammation to go down which is why people take fish oils, gluatmine and vit c and e after workouts?

i don't know that inducing HSP's would necessarily invoke an inflammatory response...interesting, HSP's induced by heat stress can actually reduce oxidative stress...which is possible it way HSP's help fight skeletal muscle atrophy during disuse.....this is just my theory on how to further induce them...it's out of the scope of my current lab to actually look at HSP's but as we know, the practice is always ahead of the science.

But Jer, if you think about when you're sick, keeping the body in an ice bath helps speed metabolism, and ice is what you usually put on to REDUCE inflammation....

So you could try a mixed bath after your need hiit session

----------------------------------------------------------

i would argue that acute inflammation isn't a bad thing...what do you guys think?

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 12-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Professor of Pain!!

Tuesday Jan 13th...i will let you know what has occurred to me since starting HEAT SHOCK THERAPY. i'll include any strength/weight/diet changes....with the data i post it won't be conclusive, but it may give some indication of the possible benefits...we'll see what happens...full write up coming next month.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:14 PM
eclipse23 is !!!!!!!!
Lightweight

*subscibed* sounds great. I feel like I should be paying all you guys for the info you present. It's like going to school every time I log on.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Professor of Pain!!

the Hottub is broken at my gym...Experiment over...i'll give thoughts on it up to this point in a few days

Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

I have tried epsom salts in a bath twice and I feel that there is an improvement in muscle soreness as compared with just a normal hot bath. I'll try the bicarb over the next few weeks. Cheers.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Professor of Pain!!

here is my honest review and honestly i don't think i can make a definitive claim about heat shock therapy...i do find that it was a great mental break and i did notice weight loss while increasing Kcals but that could be a number of factors...it doesn't necessarily mean the heat increased my energy expenditure...muscle recovery seemed to never be a problem with me before the therapy...i did get stronger through the therapy but again, there are just too many variables to account for...i do recommend it however if you have time...it may help you...as it may have helped me...it is definitely a great mental break...in summation...i think it may have been a benefit but i just can't be sure...i do think this is something i may want to explore in a more scientifically controlled manner in the future...until then...give it a go...it may help you

Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Thanks for doing this and tracking a log, Jeremy!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

You may like this, it is from my e-newsletter from Ironman Magazine.....

Heat: The Magic Muscle Maker
Q: This is kind of an odd question, but does hot weather help grow muscle? I've noticed that in the summer, when it's blazing outside, I make my best gains. In the winter, my gains are much slower, sometimes nonexistent.
A: While it could simply be more summer-time motivation--you train harder because you want to look good at the pool or lake--or it could be leanness and darkness--being more ripped and tan makes you look bigger and better--heat and/or sunshine may have something to do with it, along with sweating. Perspiring more sheds water from under the skin, and that means more vascularity more often, which adds to your bigger, more-shredded look. But heat may be the key...
An animal study immobilized the subjects to force muscle shrinkage, then they divided them into groups and reloaded the leg muscles with weight plus heat or with weight alone. The animals that got heat showed approximately 30 percent greater soleus muscle regrowth, while oxidant damage was also lower. The researchers believe that heat, "improves the rate of skeletal muscle regrowth" and that heat-shock protein overexpression may increase muscle mass through a decrease in local oxidative stress and damage. Very interesting.
That's a recent study, but back in the days of Vince's Gym in Hollywood, owner/trainer Vince Gironda refused to have an air conditioner--and it wasn't because he was cheap. He swore that a hot gym created better, faster results. Apparently, he was onto something, considering the above study. It may be one reason he had some of the best bodybuilders in the world training there, and he had a ripped physique that was ahead of its time...

And while heat appears to be a muscle maker, sunshine may also be an anabolic catalyst, aside from the fact that it raises body temperature. There's new evidence that getting more sun exposure--at least 15 minutes every few days without sun block--helps boost testosterone, which may have something to do with triggering the body's production of vitamin D. That vitamin is very important for immune function and optimal hormone levels. According to the latest data, one in three Americans is vitamin-D deficient, and those low levels are being linked to everything from cancer to heart disease (you need to be as healthy as possible to build muscle quickly).
So what can you do to grow more during the winter when it's cold outside? Here are a few tips:
1) Take a vitamin D supplement; new data suggests about 1,000 milligrams a day is adequate.
2) Train in sweats--it's like working out in a hot gym (like Vince's) in the summer.
3) Do cardio, and be sure you perspire; that means you raised your body temp.
4) Crank up the hot tub or sauna often. Heat boosts muscle-building factors, as the study above indicates.
5) If the sun is out, sit in it for 30 to 45 minutes (rays are low intensity during the winter, so a longer exposure is necessary); if it's cold, bundle up, but expose your head and neck.
Till next time, train hard

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano