Healthy Pumpkin Pie
In the holiday season, there aren't many desserts that are reasonable. I created a healthy version of pumpkin pie last year, and I've been working on other variations as well.
you have two options here- You can get a reduced-fat or sugar-free graham cracker crust (they sell a good sugar-free pre-made pie crust up here by the brand "Fifty/50" http://www.fifty50foods.com/), or you can make your own whole-wheat crust.
Follow this recipe for the WW Crust: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Ev...st/Detail.aspx
With these substitutions:
-Substitute all-purpose flour for WW flour or whichever kind you want
-Substitute 8 TBSP (1 cup) Shortening/butter for LIGHT butter, and only use 4 TBSP. I tried this, and the crust tastes fine with only 4 TBSP.
For the Pumpkin filling:
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (the 3 above spices can be found in "Pumpkin Spice" as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites (whisked thoroughly)
- 1 can (15 oz.) Pumpkin
- 1/2 can (6 oz.) LIGHT or 2% Evaporated Milk
- 3 oz. Milk
- 1-3 oz. Water - Adjust consistency with the water. The ending consistency should be pretty liquidy- kind of like a thin milkshake
Mix all of the pie ingredients together, pour in pie shell...
BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
Put a little light cool whip on there and your pie is golden (no pun intended)!
Last edited by rootb33r; 11-06-2008 at 07:05 PM.