Ibuprofen Hinders Muscle Hypertrophy? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

Default Ibuprofen Hinders Muscle Hypertrophy?

one of my friends sent me this article a few weeks ago. i was taking ibuprofen at the time to help with the swelling in my elbows...there's always some part of me wondering if ibuprofen hinders muscle gain/strength since it does decrease inflammation...this paper seems to suggest that it in fact doesn't at moderate doses. the fulltext also states that it may not have an effect on hypertrophy unless taken at 1200mg/day

The effects of ibuprofen on muscle hypertrophy, strength, and soreness during resistance training.

ABSTRACT

High doses of ibuprofen have been shown to inhibit muscle protein synthesis after a bout of resistance exercise. We determined the effect of a moderate dose of ibuprofen (400 mg x d(-1)) consumed on a daily basis after resistance training on muscle hypertrophy and strength. Twelve males and 6 females (approximately 24 years of age) trained their right and left biceps on alternate days (6 sets of 4-10 repetitions), 5 d x week(-1), for 6 weeks. In a counter-balanced, double-blind design, they were randomized to receive 400 mg x d(-1) ibuprofen immediately after training their left or right arm, and a placebo after training the opposite arm the following day. Before- and after-training muscle thickness of both biceps was measured using ultrasound and 1 repetition maximum (1 RM) arm curl strength was determined on both arms. Subjects rated their muscle soreness daily. There were time main effects for muscle thickness and strength (p < 0.01). Ibuprofen consumption had no effect on muscle hypertrophy (muscle thickness of biceps for arm receiving ibuprofen: pre 3.63 +/- 0.14, post 3.92 +/- 0.15 cm; and placebo: pre 3.62 +/- 0.15, post 3.90 +/- 0.15 cm) and strength (1 RM of arm receiving ibuprofen: pre 18.6 +/- 2.8, post 23.4 +/- 3.5 kg; and placebo: pre 18.8 +/- 2.8, post 22.8 +/- 3.4 kg). Muscle soreness was elevated during the first week of training only, but was not different between the ibuprofen and placebo arm. We conclude that a moderate dose of ibuprofen ingested after repeated resistance training sessions does not impair muscle hypertrophy or strength and does not affect ratings of muscle soreness.

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

Interesting. I take ~1200-1600mg ibuprofen before my back workouts and every morning before my cardio/HIIT.

I have a torn disc between my L4 and L5 vertebrae, so I do it to keep things from inflaming.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
ZachE84 is stretching 24/7.
Super-Heavyweight

root, may I ask if you get pain elsewhere from being on so much ibuprofen? I was taking only ~400mg a day for almost 3 years and eventually got pain in my knees, ankles, and elbows. I can't technically relate them to each other but it was always my gut instinct.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

Eat, Sleep, Train!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:24 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachE84 View Post
root, may I ask if you get pain elsewhere from being on so much ibuprofen? I was taking only ~400mg a day for almost 3 years and eventually got pain in my knees, ankles, and elbows. I can't technically relate them to each other but it was always my gut instinct.
Hmm... well I have knee pain but that's from playing sports. Other than that, I can't say that any other pain is related to taking ibuprofen...

I have cut back on the ibuprofen because I don't feel like it's doing anything. Torn discs don't really "inflame." I was taking the ibuprofen and Aleve for my arthritis, but I'm just kind of learning to deal with the pain now and only take it when necessary.

I also take acetaminophen for the pain because it's just a pain-killer, not an anti-inflammatory.