Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagana View Post
Hey Commander,

Thought I'd mention a method I used to lose the majority of the weigth I initially dropped, before I started traveling a lot and couldn't keep up with the strict diet.

It's the idea of "carb cycling" or "re-feeding" your body. The basic idea is three days on reduced carbs (and perhaps calories as well if you are trying to burn fat and get really lean), and on the fourth day eating a well planned diet that is high in calories, low in fat (under 10% of your total calories), moderate in protein (no more than 1.25 grams per pound of Fat Free Mass), and relatively high in carbs. Some people tend to think of this cheat day with carb cycling as a free for all, but that can ruin all your efforts.

One of my goals is to go back on a nutrition plan that includes this method periodically to try and burn some fat.
best way to stop this 'free for all cheat' is just to have some oats with low carb meals on carb up day
Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

[quote=Commander;868145]I am very happy I started a journal. This is such an awesome site and especially with all the great journals going on right now with everyone giving feedback, encouragement, etc. Well, enough rambling....

I don't own a glute ham raise bench. I do them ghetto style, load up smith machine, set it at about the height of a bench, then go to town with my calves under the bar and knees on the bench. It is REALLY hard!

Good tip on the DL before glute ham. I am just experimenting with a new split for the beginning of 2009 at this point so this is the type of feedback I am looking for.

Yeah I do the glute ham raise the same way except I just use a bb instead of a smith cuz i train at home. They really are hard that is no joke. I try to lower myself slowly 3-4second then give myself just enough of a pushoff to get back up. I know some ppl have done them like this then eventually get their hams/glutes strong enough to actually use no push and lift themselves with just their glutes/hams. If you can do that then your possess some serious glute/ham strength which should make for a real strong dl and squat.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
best way to stop this 'free for all cheat' is just to have some oats with low carb meals on carb up day
I'm in luck, oats are one of my favorite carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbilt View Post
I know some ppl have done them like this then eventually get their hams/glutes strong enough to actually use no push and lift themselves with just their glutes/hams. If you can do that then your possess some serious glute/ham strength which should make for a real strong dl and squat.
That is the goal, I will be excited the day I do ONE on my own.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 12-20-2008, 02:06 AM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post

That is the goal, I will be excited the day I do ONE on my own.
you and me both...the glute ham raises are killer but very effective...i have yet to do one by myself

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 AM
plagana should change his/her status!
Rookie

Good Carbs for the re-feed day would be:

Pasta
Rice
Bread
Fat Free/Sugar Free Ice Cream (my favorite)
Pancakes
Waffles
Crackers
Glucose
Cereal

Basically, anything that is high on the Glycemic Index and doesn't contain much sucrose or fructose is fair game.

Staying away from the processed foods would be a good idea as well.

Now if I could only take my own advice and get started on this myself

230 lbs. | Bench: 295 | Squat: 315 | Deadlift: 365
Old 12-20-2008, 09:25 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagana View Post
Good Carbs for the re-feed day would be:

Pasta
Rice
Bread
Fat Free/Sugar Free Ice Cream (my favorite)
Pancakes
Waffles
Crackers
Glucose
Cereal

Basically, anything that is high on the Glycemic Index and doesn't contain much sucrose or fructose is fair game.

Staying away from the processed foods would be a good idea as well.

Now if I could only take my own advice and get started on this myself
erm i'd stay away from the high gi actually i'd stick with brown varirations of rice, no white processed sources
Old 12-20-2008, 07:34 PM
plagana should change his/her status!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
erm i'd stay away from the high gi actually i'd stick with brown varirations of rice, no white processed sources
In general that is true, but when Carb Cycling, on the "cheat" or "re-fead" day, the concept is to get your body out of starvation mode by raising the level of your hormones Leptin & Cholecystokinin.

A good book that explains this is Tom Venuto's Burn The Fat Feed the Muscle. I got it free from a buddy so not sure I would spend the money for it, but it is a very honest book about diet and muscle.

230 lbs. | Bench: 295 | Squat: 315 | Deadlift: 365
Old 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
you and me both...the glute ham raises are killer but very effective...i have yet to do one by myself
We will some day...2009 Baby!

Friday's workout:

Bench: worked up to a triple with 205 ( I am backing off to recuperate for the contest)
Tricep with Back
Close Grip 170 3x5 reps SS with Bent Rows 115x5, 125 2x5 reps paused at the top and deloaded between reps

Overhead Ext 42 x14,12 SS with Chin-ups BW 2x5 reps paused at top

Tricep Pushdown SS with External Rotation work

Saturday:

Cardio - Tabata Front Squats and Jump Rope

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 12-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Side Note:
Left Deltoid still hurting, it is starting to bother me mentally. It felt fine working out on Friday and the pain is dull, not sharp, more of a muscle ache type of pain.

Contemplation for 2009:
Smolov Squat Program
http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...squatcycle.htm

Call me crazy, the program sounds INSANE, but as anyone who has followed along in my journal knows....my Squat is my weakest exercise. And the one I am dedicated to bringing up in 2009. So why not start the year with a bang!

I was contemplating an Upper/Lower, Power/Hypertrohpy split. I will likely attempt to blend that into the Smolov.

Last edited by Commander; 12-22-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 AM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Side Note:
Left Deltoid still hurting, it is starting to bother me mentally. It felt fine working out on Friday and the pain is dull, not sharp, more of a muscle ache type of pain.

Contemplation for 2009:
Smolov Squat Program
http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...squatcycle.htm

Call me crazy, the program sounds INSANE, but as anyone who has followed along in my journal knows....my Squat is my weakest exercise. And the one I am dedicated to bringing up in 2009. So why not start the year with a bang!

I was contemplating an Upper/Lower, Power/Hypertrohpy split. I will likely attempt to blend that into the Smolov.

yeah delt pain sucks. I have been having this pain in my upper right pec/ lower right delt for weeks when I bench. I am hoping it will jsut fix itself like usual.

The smolov squat is insane. From what I have been told it really works tho. There is another version that I have off it from pavels beyond bodybuilding e-book. It is a two day a week squat program that is much more sane. It certainly will make u a more skilled squatter because it makes constant practice. If you do it tho I would recommend reducing your squat by max by 10% tho.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength