Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
What happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellingham View Post
One of them workouts, iv'e been there
I just sucked, plain and simple. I have zero confidence in my squat right now. In fact, the only time I really had confidence was early 2009 when I was running Smolov. Squating heavy and often was great.

I really thought that trying deep front squats and deep olympic squats would be of assistance. Dr. Squat, one of the best (if not THE best) recommends deep olympic squats as an assistance exercise for powerlifting squats, so I'm sure it works for some.....it just doesn't seem to be that way for me. I just want to say, screw it! I'm ditching the other squats and sticking to a parallel powerlifting squat.

And this is not an ego thing, I had no problem lowering the weight to try going deeper on front and olympic squats. But I thought I would get some carryover, since that is the idea of assistance exercises. Well, let me just say that I feel weaker than ever on the powerlifting squats.

Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Boy am I looking foward to Military Press tonight.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 PM
misterjaydubyoo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Keep your head up man. You have come a long way and you'll bust thru your troubles in no time. Some things that work for some, don't for others. Just keep tweaking things here and there and I'm sure you'll pinpoint what's wrong, and get back to setting PRs on the squat.

Again congratulations on all your progressions. Beast out today on the militaries!

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...urrent=445.mp4
Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Don't worry about it, you have learnt something about your squat so you know how to go forward from here and try something else out to improve it. You do not suck at them. I've seen your vids and your form is top knotch. Its now a case of getting a positive mentality back when you are squatting.
What other assistance exercises are you considering?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I just sucked, plain and simple. I have zero confidence in my squat right now. In fact, the only time I really had confidence was early 2009 when I was running Smolov. Squating heavy and often was great.

I really thought that trying deep front squats and deep olympic squats would be of assistance. Dr. Squat, one of the best (if not THE best) recommends deep olympic squats as an assistance exercise for powerlifting squats, so I'm sure it works for some.....it just doesn't seem to be that way for me. I just want to say, screw it! I'm ditching the other squats and sticking to a parallel powerlifting squat.

And this is not an ego thing, I had no problem lowering the weight to try going deeper on front and olympic squats. But I thought I would get some carryover, since that is the idea of assistance exercises. Well, let me just say that I feel weaker than ever on the powerlifting squats.

Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Boy am I looking foward to Military Press tonight.
Yes, get rid of the olympic squats. As you said that might be a decent assistance movement as a squat variation, but are you using them as your main exercise? Also, Fed Hatfield is the man, but remember he was mainly an equipped lifter. Albeit they used 1ply suits back then, they were still equipped, so many of what equipped lifters do don't apply to us. Westside, for example, has some great principles, but much of it is not applicable to RAW lifters.

Anyway, get rid of the olympic squats, and this will also help you on DE day. The deep squats on the DE day somewhat diminish the importance of the day because they are not necessarily a dynamic movement. But the bottomline is don't worry about it, just move on, it's all you can do. I'm awful at following this guidline myself, but ever time I do follow it, my subsequent workouts are much better. You know you're strong, so make the adjustments that you need to and then own it next time.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaydubyoo View Post
Keep your head up man. You have come a long way and you'll bust thru your troubles in no time. Some things that work for some, don't for others. Just keep tweaking things here and there and I'm sure you'll pinpoint what's wrong, and get back to setting PRs on the squat.

Again congratulations on all your progressions. Beast out today on the militaries!
You're right, I have come along way, I need to be patient and get back on track. Thanks JW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Don't worry about it, you have learnt something about your squat so you know how to go forward from here and try something else out to improve it. You do not suck at them. I've seen your vids and your form is top knotch. Its now a case of getting a positive mentality back when you are squatting.
What other assistance exercises are you considering?
You are right as well, that sounds exacly like the advice I'd give (and have given) someone in my shoes.

Well, good mornings will always be a part of my program. And front squats while I'm running Workout Machine's program. Honestly, after the program, I will probably not do much assistance, but I will go back to more volume on just the regular powerlifting squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
Yes, get rid of the olympic squats. As you said that might be a decent assistance movement as a squat variation, but are you using them as your main exercise? Also, Fed Hatfield is the man, but remember he was mainly an equipped lifter. Albeit they used 1ply suits back then, they were still equipped, so many of what equipped lifters do don't apply to us. Westside, for example, has some great principles, but much of it is not applicable to RAW lifters.

Anyway, get rid of the olympic squats, and this will also help you on DE day. The deep squats on the DE day somewhat diminish the importance of the day because they are not necessarily a dynamic movement. But the bottomline is don't worry about it, just move on, it's all you can do. I'm awful at following this guidline myself, but ever time I do follow it, my subsequent workouts are much better. You know you're strong, so make the adjustments that you need to and then own it next time.
Yes, I was trying to use them as my main lift for now. True about Fred Hatfield, he was equipped, I should have taken that into consideration.

I don't think I am where I was (in terms of squat PR's), but I am now confident (I wasn't before obviously) that I can get back to it.

I truly appreciate the support guys. I needed it.....ABC rocks.

--------------------

Mmmmmmm, last night my wife served corned beef and cabbage, a classic Irish meal for a classic Irish man. Soaked for one week in a Guinness, then cooked in Guiness, served with mustard and horseradish sauces, fresh bread and tons of vegetables!

And for dessert, something that verges on a health-conscious dessert, chocolate angel food cake. Made with tons of egg whites and she cuts the sugar big time. Awesome.

--------------------

Heavy Military

Seated Military Press
155x4
160x4
165x2
170x2

Good times. New territory for Military press, I was working off an estimated max, so I have never actually gone this high before.

Decline Bench
100, 150, 170, 190, 210x5

Dips
BWx20 (PR)
BWx14

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

Commander you are from America right?
If so i cannot believe the amount of American people i have now spoken to who have Irish blood in them, i had no idea that so many Irish went over to America.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Commander you are from America right?
If so i cannot believe the amount of American people i have now spoken to who have Irish blood in them, i had no idea that so many Irish went over to America.
Yes, we dominated immigration to America in the mid 1800s. I'm roughly 2/3's Irish. My father is McBride and my mother is Flaherty, originally O'Flaherty.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

I really did not know that, well you learn something new everyday so now i know why there are so many Irish Americans. And don't sweat it on the squats man, I know i can't really give you any advice but you do have impressive squats, watching your videos and listening to your advice helped me improve my form drastically so you obviously know what you're talking about.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I really did not know that, well you learn something new everyday so now i know why there are so many Irish Americans. And don't sweat it on the squats man, I know i can't really give you any advice but you do have impressive squats, watching your videos and listening to your advice helped me improve my form drastically so you obviously know what you're talking about.
If you google "Irish Immigration" you will get all sorts of interesting results.

Thanks for the support on the squats.

---------

DE Deads

211, 2x2
236, 3x2
261, 3x2
281, 3x2

These felt awesome

Good Morning
120x10
140x10

Bent Row
130x10
140x10
150x10 last two reps starting to get a little sloppy

some chin ups to finish off

Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 AM
GodsGladiator is getting RIPPED
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Yes, we dominated immigration to America in the mid 1800s. I'm roughly 2/3's Irish. My father is McBride and my mother is Flaherty, originally O'Flaherty.
so whats your poison, stout or scotch?

its hard for me to resist a nice rich, dark, heavy stout myself. but no more hard liqour for this McNiel...

hey Commander i know your back east, have you taken a trip to Ellis Island yet? could be cool to find out when your relatives came over
Blood & Guts
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/mikeythatsnice/teamsters.jpg

Last edited by GodsGladiator; 03-04-2010 at 06:59 AM.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength