Commanding My Body - Page 79 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 04:20 PM
sweetpea81 is ready!
Middleweight

Quote:
Workout Machine developed a non-linear program geared toward increasing strength and making gains in hypertrophy at the same time. As he described it to me, it would make a good off-season program for powerlifters. I'm sure Workout Machine could tell you more if you were interested.
Cool, thanks! I'm currently on the injured list, so I'm sure I'll need a good strength program to build back up when I'm healed.

Quote:
Bible Reading:
The church I attend has decided to all try and read through the entire Bible at the same time. While I have read 90% of the Bible about 3 or 4 times, I have never read the entire Bible. I usually skip parts of Exodus and Leviticus and I don't think I read all of the Psalms either. But, I am committed to actually reading everyword this time. It shoud be fun.

Also, I continue to attend a small group Bible study where we are watching the Truth Project. Very good stuff.
That's awesome. I love it when the church does something as a whole. We are currently doing a marriage series and reading the Love Dare book and are having a movie night to watch Fireproof over the course of the next couple months. Good stuff! It's been an emotional series. At the end of the sermon the pastor always offers up prayer for anyone who needs it and people step forward - couples come up crying, or one spouse comes up in tears w/out the other. It chokes me up and I love it b/c my husband and I always discuss the sermon after church and how to work on our marriage and our other relationships.

My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I glorify God in it by walking in divine healing and divine health. - I Cor. 6:19
Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post

I hope you don't take any offense to my messing with the days off. Believe me, I will always make it clear if I am not following your program. As a husband and father, I simply seize the opportunity if it presents itself, because I never know when I may miss a workout due to unforeseen circumstances. However, in light of your suggestion, I will take the chance and try my best to follow the rest days, then if something comes up, it will simply have to be an extra rest day.

On the topic of rest, I also wished I would have rested a little more during the workout. I rested up to 4 minutes between the sets of deadlifts, but another minute would have been nice. I was not able to maintain the program's required intensity.
Dude, are you kidding? I don't take any offense, I'm honored that you are giving my program a run. Faith and family always come before workouts so if there is a conflict the workouts always get moved.

My advice is that keep the designed off days unless you need to switch just for your own benefits of being able to walk properly.

Also, the deadlifts do become tough, so like you said take more time. 6,7,8 minutes, it doesn't matter. And if you need take your maxes down a little more. One question about your standard equipment. What is it that makes the weight 436 instead of 435? On deads it always seems to be a little different, but on bench the weight seems to end in 0s and 5s just like olympic weights. Why is that? I don't have much experience with standard equipment so I've always wondered.

So far looks great, keep killing it man.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 02-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea81 View Post
That's awesome. I love it when the church does something as a whole. We are currently doing a marriage series and reading the Love Dare book and are having a movie night to watch Fireproof over the course of the next couple months. Good stuff! It's been an emotional series. At the end of the sermon the pastor always offers up prayer for anyone who needs it and people step forward - couples come up crying, or one spouse comes up in tears w/out the other. It chokes me up and I love it b/c my husband and I always discuss the sermon after church and how to work on our marriage and our other relationships.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
Dude, are you kidding? I don't take any offense, I'm honored that you are giving my program a run. Faith and family always come before workouts so if there is a conflict the workouts always get moved.
Cool.

Quote:
My advice is that keep the designed off days unless you need to switch just for your own benefits of being able to walk properly.
Ha, ha, now my quad AND hams are dying. I walk like I'm 80 years old.

Quote:
Also, the deadlifts do become tough, so like you said take more time. 6,7,8 minutes, it doesn't matter. And if you need take your maxes down a little more. One question about your standard equipment. What is it that makes the weight 436 instead of 435? On deads it always seems to be a little different, but on bench the weight seems to end in 0s and 5s just like olympic weights. Why is that? I don't have much experience with standard equipment so I've always wondered.
I will take more rest, 411x4 felt good, I was slightly surprised that I couldn't double 436. I've doubled 446 in the past, althought that was with less work beforehand.

Ahhhh, great question. Technically, those 0s and 5s should be 3's and 8s. My standard bar weighs 18lbs. I usually just round up the 0 and 5. Unless maxing, then I typically add the 1.25 plates and get the real amount.

On deadlifts I have to 20kg plates that I use as well. So, I have the 18lb bar, plus 2 44lb plates, that comes to 106. So everything ends in 6 or 1. I don't need the 44lb plates for bench or squat because I don't bench or squat that much yet, lol! I have enough (two 50s and eight 25s) for them.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 02-08-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

DE Bench

120, 2x3
135, 4x3
150, 2x3

Rear Delt
7.5x10
10x10
12.5x10

First time doing rear delts in a while, didn't know what to do at first, all sets were light.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Workout #6 of WM cycle - still using the WM dynamic warmup

DE Squat
145, 2x3
165, 4x3
185, 4x3

Pullups
BW, 3x8

Chinups
BWx10

On hypertrophy squat day, I did high bar olympic squats, but today for DE, I did traditional low bar olympic squats. I didn't think it would make sense to do DE olympic style.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Lower back's been getting lots of work shoveling snow, it is tired and sore.

Heavy Bench tonight.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Lower back's been getting lots of work shoveling snow, it is tired and sore.

Heavy Bench tonight.
o man, i hear that one! i shoveld my driveway last night..and today waking up was a major issue! hahaha...but lets look at the positive side, like I always do, I DONT HAVE TO DO IT TODAY!!! hahahahahah, workouts are looking good man, I have consulted w/ WM and he has granted me permission to use his cycle between DC blasts..I think ill enjoy this rotation for years to come! needless to say, ill be following along more consistently to look for some advice!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
o man, i hear that one! i shoveld my driveway last night..and today waking up was a major issue! hahaha...but lets look at the positive side, like I always do, I DONT HAVE TO DO IT TODAY!!! hahahahahah, workouts are looking good man, I have consulted w/ WM and he has granted me permission to use his cycle between DC blasts..I think ill enjoy this rotation for years to come! needless to say, ill be following along more consistently to look for some advice!
That's neat that at some point, we'll be running the same program.

I think I finally beat the snow. I shovelled for the 5th time in 2 days!

-------

Heavy Bench

Flat Bench
235x6
250x4
275x2

I got all my reps, but I was hoping for an extra rep (or two) on 275. It wasn't happening though, I blame that on the shoveling, very hard on the front delts, it's like I did one thousand front raises.

Close Grip Bench
170, 190, 210, 220x5

Inc Bench
120, 140, 160, 180, 200x5

Dips
BWx16
BWx14

Old 02-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Workout Machine Program, workout #8

Heavy Squat

Olympic Squat (high bar - deep)
255x6
270x4
285x2

My form broke on the 2nd rep of 285, I will have to adjust percentage for next workout. I made the mistake of calculating these numbers off of my actual Olympic Squat max which is around 310. I should have use 290-300.

Front Squat
170x8
185x6
200x4

Pull up
BWx12

DE Deads
211, 2x3
236, 4x3
261, 4x3

Pull up
BWx11

With the exception of my last rep of olympic squats, this was a good workout. DE Deads felt wonderful, it's helping me get my form in a groove, since prior to this program I hadn't pulled conventional in a while (been doing cambered bar and snatch grip mostly).

Next up is Heavy Military and Deadlift before I complete the first set of workouts. The program repeats for two more two week blocks. Then I will assess how I did and decide on future programing.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

commander, quick question, do u ever do any cardio? you stay lean...but at the same time i never see cardio in your log! how do you manage to stay lean...I am a recovering run a holic..hahah recently have decided to tone my running back, i feel guilty in my head! lol

-Question: are you only listing your working sets...or is that everything..what about warmups? i know you are using the dynmaic warmup, but what about some lighter sets on the lifts you are doing?

Last edited by bigbear6708; 02-14-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength