Commanding My Body - Page 78 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
Dude, didn't realize that you were starting today, this is awesome, can't wait to see your progress. Also, stick with the back squats, just use the front squats for assistance work on the heavy days. Tear it up man, I'm excited to follow along.
After PM'ing you, I figured why wait, I was heading down stairs to do bench, and I looked at your 14 day cycle and said "Let's do it" to myself.

Workout #2, Workout Machine Cycle

Hypertrophy Squats

*still warming up with the Workout Machine Dynamic Warmup

High Bar Olympic Squats
200x10, 10, 10

For what it's worth, I know these are low numbers, but I am going way past parallel as is proper for olympic squats. I've handled way more on low bar squats, so doing deep high bar squats really makes me check my ego at the door.

I must use this time to say, I hate high reps on squats. I feel nauseous everytime I do them.

Chin-ups
BWx12, 8

DE Deadlift
190x2, 2 sets
210x2, 4 sets
235x2, 2 sets

DE deads felt good, each set was faster than the last as I got in a groove for pulling.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

WM Workout #3

I was supposed to have one more day of rest before this workout. And I needed it, not having done hypertrophy workouts recently, I am still reeling from my bench workout 2 days ago. But, my children are at their grandmothers, so after shoveling out of 16-20 inches of snow, I had lots of free time.

Hypertrophy Military

Seated OH Press
120x10
110x10
110x10

Close Grip BP
170x10
160x10
160x10

Dips
BWx15
BWx11

It was crazy on close grip bench, the weight felt so light for the first 6-7 reps, then it's like hitting a wall, and my reps slow down. I assume it is the lactic acid which I am totally not used to due to mostly low rep training. Absolutely insane pump, my wife loves these hypertrophy days because I look like a beast when I'm done.

Lost power from 8am until 3pm, luckily, I have a kerosene heater which kept my first floor comfortable. My wife and I played yahtzee and Life and read books. It was fun.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
WM Workout #3

I was supposed to have one more day of rest before this workout. And I needed it, not having done hypertrophy workouts recently, I am still reeling from my bench workout 2 days ago. But, my children are at their grandmothers, so after shoveling out of 16-20 inches of snow,
Dude, take the off days when they are built into the program, as you found out today you need them and they are designed that way for a reason. Make sure to take tomorrow off before you deadlift and then stick to the sequence. You probably feel pretty awful in good way right now though after completing the first 3 hypertrophy workouts.

Also, my family back home in MD. (just outside of D.C.) said they may get up to 30 inches after tonight. This is the most in the area I think since the Blizzard of '96. It sounds like you got it pretty bad too.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter

Last edited by WorkoutMchne; 02-06-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
Dude, take the off days when they are built into the program, as you found out today you need them and they are designed that way for a reason. Make sure to take tomorrow off before you deadlift and then stick to the sequence. You probably feel pretty awful in good way right now though after completing the first 3 hypertrophy workouts.

Also, my family back home in MD. (just outside of D.C.) said they may get up to 30 inches after tonight. This is the most in the area I think since the Blizzard of '96. It sounds like you got it pretty bad too.
Ha, ha, I wish I would have read this before working out! I could have REALLY used the off day before deadlift. My quads are on fire from DOMS, now I know deads are mostly hams/glute but still having sore quads is not conducive to heavy pulling.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, I feel awful in a good way.

I hope you don't take any offense to my messing with the days off. Believe me, I will always make it clear if I am not following your program. As a husband and father, I simply seize the opportunity if it presents itself, because I never know when I may miss a workout due to unforeseen circumstances. However, in light of your suggestion, I will take the chance and try my best to follow the rest days, then if something comes up, it will simply have to be an extra rest day.

On the topic of rest, I also wished I would have rested a little more during the workout. I rested up to 4 minutes between the sets of deadlifts, but another minute would have been nice. I was not able to maintain the program's required intensity.

Deadlift
386x6
411x4
436x1 (supposed to be 2)
436x1 (just getting the extra rep)

Good Morning
110x8
160x6
180x4

Chin-up
BW+20x5
+30x5
+40x5

Bent Row
110x10
120x8
130x7

Last edited by Commander; 02-08-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

good to see someone else starting this routine. i start tomorrow. Last time i did it the first week hurt! but after that the DOMS gets better. i'll be following along.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
good to see someone else starting this routine. i start tomorrow. Last time i did it the first week hurt! but after that the DOMS gets better. i'll be following along.
Really, you've done Workout Machine's program? And you are running it again?

That's cool. I've been following your starting strength and will definitely continue to follow along. It will be neat to be doing the same program. I like it thus far, even though it has darn near left me a cripple with DOMS!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:23 AM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

looking good commander, thanks for the comments on my deadlifts..one day ill be as strong as u!!! haha...i know what your talking about on the rest days...i NEVER workout early tho...if anything i build an extra rest day in...maybe thats cuz I have a 7 month old as well, so i take sleep when i can get it!! haha, anyways, im logged into your journal even more now, I may try this routine after this blast of DC before my next one
Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Really, you've done Workout Machine's program? And you are running it again?

That's cool. I've been following your starting strength and will definitely continue to follow along. It will be neat to be doing the same program. I like it thus far, even though it has darn near left me a cripple with DOMS!
I did a version of it. due to the days i can workout i had to throw shoulders in on chest day and the results werent great but i still had excellent size gains in the 6 weeks i did it back in november. This time round im doing the exact routine no changes except im forced to do 3 days in a row on a thurs, fri and sat as i cant get to the gym on sundays . So mine is 2 days on 1 off, 3 days on 1 off and repeat.
The DOMS is great the first week.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
sweetpea81 is ready!
Middleweight

What is the program you are following? It looks like it's geared at building strength???

My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I glorify God in it by walking in divine healing and divine health. - I Cor. 6:19
Old 02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
looking good commander, thanks for the comments on my deadlifts..one day ill be as strong as u!!! haha...i know what your talking about on the rest days...i NEVER workout early tho...if anything i build an extra rest day in...maybe thats cuz I have a 7 month old as well, so i take sleep when i can get it!! haha, anyways, im logged into your journal even more now, I may try this routine after this blast of DC before my next one
Are you kidding me, you just pulling 415 for 5....You ARE as strong as me, if not stronger. Thanks for the kind words though.

I'm definitely going to make rest a priority now. And if I don't, somebody please cyber slap me.

Quote:
I did a version of it. due to the days i can workout i had to throw shoulders in on chest day and the results werent great but i still had excellent size gains in the 6 weeks i did it back in november. This time round im doing the exact routine no changes except im forced to do 3 days in a row on a thurs, fri and sat as i cant get to the gym on sundays . So mine is 2 days on 1 off, 3 days on 1 off and repeat.
Neat, the exact routine should produce better gains.....maybe I should follow the exact routine, rest days included.

Quote:
The DOMS is great the first week.
Don't know if I would call it great, I could barely walk down my stairs this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea81 View Post
What is the program you are following? It looks like it's geared at building strength???
Workout Machine developed a non-linear program geared toward increasing strength and making gains in hypertrophy at the same time. As he described it to me, it would make a good off-season program for powerlifters. I'm sure Workout Machine could tell you more if you were interested.

----------------

Bodyweight: 199 this morning

Parakeet Training Journal:
I have two parakeets (well, technically, they are my five year olds) that I am trying to tame. Their names are Cheri and Didi. Didi we imagine is a boy, (if you think it's a wussy name, just think CC from Poison and it becomes so much cooler, ha, ha) and he is crazy, but Cheri is getting close to being tame. I had her out of the cage and feeding her the other day. And last night, my 9 year old had both birds on his hands while he fed them. Making progress, just have to be patient. The goal is to be able to have them out of the cage without food involved, for the birds to actually want to perch on our fingers simply to be with us.

Bible Reading:
The church I attend has decided to all try and read through the entire Bible at the same time. While I have read 90% of the Bible about 3 or 4 times, I have never read the entire Bible. I usually skip parts of Exodus and Leviticus and I don't think I read all of the Psalms either. But, I am committed to actually reading everyword this time. It shoud be fun.

Also, I continue to attend a small group Bible study where we are watching the Truth Project. Very good stuff.

Last edited by Commander; 02-08-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength