Commanding My Body - Page 73 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 AM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I LOVE the feeling of doing a bodyweight squat after stretching and foam rolling
You don't stretch before your workouts do you? Also, what chronic effects have you seen from foam rolling? All I here are positives and think I need to start.

Also, just wanted to add that every time I see you lift I can only imagine how strong you would be without those standard weights, that standard bar and some other like minded people in there with you. With the standard plates being so low you are always doing deficit deadlifts, yet still strong. The standard bar is crazy thin. I like thin bars, but the standard bar almost hurts to grip (especially on high rep sets) because it's so thin. Anyways man, you do a great job with all that equipment and you are much stronger than the weights you put up. If you maxed on an olympic bar and weights there's no doubt that you would be even stronger.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 AM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

I agree with the above post. Standard equipment is not fun. I used to have to deal with that kind of equipment too and I was amazed at how much more weight I could move with olympic bars and plates.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
You don't stretch before your workouts do you? Also, what chronic effects have you seen from foam rolling? All I here are positives and think I need to start.
I static stretch my hip flexors. Otherwise, I try to get loose for a leg workout with various BW squats and hip mobility work. Any advice? I'm always looking to learn.

Chronic effects? That would require me to be consistent, lol. Unfortunately, I haven't been, but I believe in foam rolling 100% from the articles I've read and from the times where I have done it for a few workouts in a row, I can definitely feel the improvement in terms of being mobile and flexible.

Quote:
Also, just wanted to add that every time I see you lift I can only imagine how strong you would be without those standard weights, that standard bar and some other like minded people in there with you. With the standard plates being so low you are always doing deficit deadlifts, yet still strong. The standard bar is crazy thin. I like thin bars, but the standard bar almost hurts to grip (especially on high rep sets) because it's so thin. Anyways man, you do a great job with all that equipment and you are much stronger than the weights you put up. If you maxed on an olympic bar and weights there's no doubt that you would be even stronger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbilt View Post
I agree with the above post. Standard equipment is not fun. I used to have to deal with that kind of equipment too and I was amazed at how much more weight I could move with olympic bars and plates.
Thanks guys, makes me feel good. Although, a standard bar provides no exuse for my squat! Yes, the standard bar does hurt the grip sometime, but hey, I'm lucky to have a gym full of weights in my basement.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 01-08-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
tmkeehn is climbing that mountain
Lightweight

If you're looking for hip flexibility in your warm up, try introducing some mountain climbers! I do about 2 sets of 25(each foot) and some BW squats before any leg day, and it makes a big difference to me at least.
Squat: PR 375
Old 01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkeehn View Post
If you're looking for hip flexibility in your warm up, try introducing some mountain climbers! I do about 2 sets of 25(each foot) and some BW squats before any leg day, and it makes a big difference to me at least.
Funny you mention that! I just tried them.

Post 720...

Quote:
I saw the rollover to V-sit & mountain climbers in a recent DeFranco T-Muscle article, I really liked them as a warmup. The moutain climbers especially felt great and got my hips loose. The depth jumps and squats from the rack were to get my CNS primed.
-------

Sidenote: my glutes are rocked again from lunges, they are brutal.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 01-08-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
tmkeehn is climbing that mountain
Lightweight

lol, guess I missed that one! How'd it work for ya?
Squat: PR 375
Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
I static stretch my hip flexors. Otherwise, I try to get loose for a leg workout with various BW squats and hip mobility work. Any advice?
Hey man, don't static stretch anything before you lift, it decreases stiffness making you less efficient, thus you store less energy and are weaker. Anyways, here is a video that I posted on youtube about a dynamic warm-up. Also, at the end I do something called groiners which give a little more hip mobility than mountain climbers. The info on the video explains more about stretching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsn7qSe89ic
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

Quote:
Hey man, don't static stretch anything before you lift, it decreases stiffness making you less efficient, thus you store less energy and are weaker. Anyways, here is a video that I posted on youtube about a dynamic warm-up. Also, at the end I do something called groiners which give a little more hip mobility than mountain climbers. The info on the video explains more about stretching.
great video Mike...i think i'll be showing this video to my students next semester

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I never static stretch anything else prior to a workout, but I was under the impression that static hip flexor stretching was acceptable. However, I gladly stand corrected after reading the info on the video! The prone iron cross and groiners will definitely suffice to get my hip flexors loose.

I did moutain climbers recently, and basically performed them the same way you did the groiners, they feel fantastic. I will implement this warmup next workout....and I definitely need a good warmup, my gym has been in the upper 40's (Fahrenheit) recently.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:00 AM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

I hate mountain climbers with a passion. I have done thousands of them and choose to never do them again unless forced.

I am not super flexible but what I do is before every workout start with 20 jumping jacks, then do 10 toe touches, then 10 leg swings forward/backward, and then 10 leg swings to the sides, then planks, and bridges. Then on squat day start with an empty bar for 10 reps. This does not take long and has made a big difference.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength