Commanding My Body - Page 64 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
Good job on hitting 390 at a lighter weight, keep it up you're going to break 400.
Thanks, it's coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellingham View Post
I cant believe i have never thought of putting a band across the rack so i know when i have hit the right depth on squats, thanks for the idea!
Yeah, I'm kind of anal-retentive, I want to make sure I am consistent in case I do a powerlifting meet. I used to use a box, but I felt that the band was better because there is no way I can I can accidentally use the band to support me in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
holy cow commander...you are a beast w/ strenght man...my goal for my next 3x5 cycle is 350x5...i dont think i can add another 100 lbs like i just did...goal on deads will be 455ish, no where near where u are at!!
Thanks for the kind words, but 350x5 was kind of sloppy, and there is no way I could do 3 sets with it. So in terms of Starting Strength, I could probably manage 330 for 3 sets of 5.

Great goal for deads, 455x5 would be beastly! I haven't tried 455 for reps, not sure what I could manage, but I'd be happy with 5 for sure!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-27-2009, 09:05 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

yeah, if i can hit my goals, i would be ahead of where i was at squats and right back on track w/ deads, i was pulling 450 before i got hurt..and squats have always been my weak point...so if i hit these goals, i will be sitting nice for my next dc blast cycle and i will consider SS a total victory (it already is...but u know!)
Old 11-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
yeah, if i can hit my goals, i would be ahead of where i was at squats and right back on track w/ deads, i was pulling 450 before i got hurt..and squats have always been my weak point...so if i hit these goals, i will be sitting nice for my next dc blast cycle and i will consider SS a total victory (it already is...but u know!)
You'll definitely be ready for your next DC blast, no doubt
----------

Lower Day

Barbell Thrusters (weighted glute bridges)
110x5 (plus 20 every set) up to 250x5

DE Squat
200, 8 sets of 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgToscEnac

After watching my 350x5 video, I looked very quad dominant and I was not getting my glutes into the lift as I should. I am trying to improve my hip drive.

The video above compares my 1st set with my 8th set on DE squat. I added some cheesy music and props to Flip at the end because I'm a dork.

GHR
BWx? for 3 sets

I didn't count reps, because none of them were superstrict, I tried to be real tight on the way down, but on the way up was another story. I am going to keep plugging away at these.

My calf cramped up on the 1st set though, it made me glad I was alone, lol, I looked like a complete wuss as I writhed in pain.

Weighted Situps
BW+25 x 8, 4 sets

My Hamstrings were fried after this, abs felt good too. Putting up the Christmas tree tomorrow and decorating the house, then heading to my parents for a belated Thanksgiving feast with my side of the family. I will enjoy the rest and good food tomorrow.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 11-28-2009, 05:44 AM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Commander, a few things I have noticed about your squat. As you say, yes you need to improve your hip drive, but a few things must happens first. Most importantly you need to increase your hip mobility. Because your hip mobility is not optimal you go into a forward lean causing your knees to go over your toes, thus this lean throws off your angle not allowing you to get below parallel with the heavier weights. All that being said your heels do not come off the ground, which is of course good.

Also, your first motion tends to bend at the knees. The first motion of a squat should be to push your glutes back as far as possible and arch your back hard. Now out of the bottom drive your hips up and through the movement almost to "pop" them through the squat. Finally, you lean forward a bit more on the way up with heavier weights (almost everyone does to an extent and it may be inevitable when maxing), so to counteract this as best as possible as you initiate the hip drive also drive your elbows up under the bar. This will allow you to stay tight along with holding your breath. The longer you can hold your breath the better. I can't see the width of your stance from the way the videos are shot, but a wider stance will most likely help and continue to point your toes slightly outward.

That being said all of the weights seem fairly light for you and you seem to have more strength than what you are showing. I think hip mobility and initiating your glutes back will allow for greater hip drive and driving the elbows up and under the bar will allow you to stay upright and get to parallel with heavier weights. The strength is clearly there for you man. I hope this helps and you don't mind the advice.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Upper Day

(max weights listed)

Bench Throws
150x1, 3 sets

Inc Bench
215x5
195x9

Bent Row
210x5
180x11

JM Press
120x5
95x13

I'm feeling under the weather today, it didn't affect my workout, but we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
Commander, a few things I have noticed about your squat. As you say, yes you need to improve your hip drive, but a few things must happens first. Most importantly you need to increase your hip mobility. Because your hip mobility is not optimal you go into a forward lean causing your knees to go over your toes, thus this lean throws off your angle not allowing you to get below parallel with the heavier weights. All that being said your heels do not come off the ground, which is of course good.

Also, your first motion tends to bend at the knees. The first motion of a squat should be to push your glutes back as far as possible and arch your back hard. Now out of the bottom drive your hips up and through the movement almost to "pop" them through the squat. Finally, you lean forward a bit more on the way up with heavier weights (almost everyone does to an extent and it may be inevitable when maxing), so to counteract this as best as possible as you initiate the hip drive also drive your elbows up under the bar. This will allow you to stay tight along with holding your breath. The longer you can hold your breath the better. I can't see the width of your stance from the way the videos are shot, but a wider stance will most likely help and continue to point your toes slightly outward.

That being said all of the weights seem fairly light for you and you seem to have more strength than what you are showing. I think hip mobility and initiating your glutes back will allow for greater hip drive and driving the elbows up and under the bar will allow you to stay upright and get to parallel with heavier weights. The strength is clearly there for you man. I hope this helps and you don't mind the advice.
I don't mind at all, in fact, I really appreciate the advice and thoughtful comments. When I did Smolov, I used to do tons of hip mobility work because I was squatting all the time and I figured if I didn't then I'd be paying for it with sore knees, back, etc. I haven't done any hip mobility work lately. I will definitely start back up.

I have never heard of the elbow tip before, I will try that. You are too kind when you say the weights seem light. 350x5 looked crappy and 390x1 was crappy too, I feel OK with my 370x1 video, that looked pretty good.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Diet update:

bodyweight average is up another pound to 195.4
macros will stay the same, I'm taking in 3700 calories on non-workout days and a ton more on workout days with para-workout nutrition

Old 11-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Thanks for the comment on my vid, i'm just happy to be squatting properly again after my injury, i had to take things easy, im now ready to go for my max, just checked out your vid. dont stress over your form, just take it one thign at a time, it might help you to do box squats every now and then as they force you to sit back and that involves glute initiation, they will also help build power to drive the weight up using hip drive. Elbows back really helps too, try holding the bar with as close a grip that your flexibility permits.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Thanks for the comment on my vid
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
i'm just happy to be squatting properly again after my injury, i had to take things easy, im now ready to go for my max, just checked out your vid. dont stress over your form, just take it one thign at a time, it might help you to do box squats every now and then as they force you to sit back and that involves glute initiation, they will also help build power to drive the weight up using hip drive. Elbows back really helps too, try holding the bar with as close a grip that your flexibility permits.
I've got to work on it. I'm going to lighten it up a bit and really focus on form.

sidenote:
Sore throat is gone in less than a day (which is a good sign for me, the length of my sore throat usually is indicative of the length of my cold in general) and my nose is running now. I will still be working out today.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Lower Day

Barbell Thrusters
110 (plus 20) to 210x5, 230x3, 250x3

Squat
singles, 70, 90, 120, 140, 170, 190, 220, 240, 270, 290x1
310x1, 5 sets

Video of some of the singles to check form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXAKe0-ESUM

I'm trying to work on pushing my butt back more and getting deeper while maintaining my arch, I did hip mobility drills prior to this (leg swings, split squats, lateral squats, squat stretch position)

310 felt way heavier than normal, it sucks, but I also went deeper and am trying to refine technique, so I guess it is sort of normal for it to feel heavier. Please critique, I realize that my butt tucks under when I go super deep, but I think I maintained a decent arch right up to breaking parallel. Also, I am trying to make sure I innitiate movement with my hips first instead of my knees as WorkoutMachine reminded me.

Good Mornings from the pins (pin 9)
120 (plus 20) to 200x5

GHR (assisted)
BWx6,4,3

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength