120x2
170x1
230x4
270x4
310x4
345x2
345x2
350x1, miss 2nd rep

I quit! Anyone reading my journal these last few months must think I am a complete moron. I tried to cut on Coan/Phillipi and bombed out halfway through, I tried to do Smolov a second time without getting serious about gaining weight, working midnights, fasting, etc, etc. I don't regret working midnights (I need to support my family) or fasting (My relationship with God is always more important), but not getting serious about gaining weight during Smolov was stupid. And expecting to get results when I am not recovering optimally was dumb. I have another midnight scheduled on Wednesday night. So I made the decision, that I can't do a program like Smolov right now. I am tossing around a few ideas in my head, 5/3/1, DC, or trying to make my own version of I, Bodybuilder while I am waiting for that program to come out.

So after bombing out in the squat, I decided since I am no longer running Smolov, I was going to deadlift....it felt sooooo good to deadlift, it's been awhile.

Deadlift - no belt
120x2
208x2
288x1
338x1
388x1
338x12 (alternated grip each rep)

Snatch grip DL
288x8

Power Shrug
288x10

External rotations

My son came down stairs in the middle of my 338x12 set of deadlifting and I did not have a shirt on, he said, "Wow, Dad, your back looks strong!" It was a nice encouraging thing to hear after my disappointment with Smolov.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Tentative Back/Bicep Specialization:
DAY 1 – Top End Deadlift, brachialis
DAY 2 - Chest
DAY 3 – Low End Deadlift, biceps volume
DAY 4 - Shoulder, Tricep
DAY 5 – Non Deadlift Back Work, biceps heavy

Assessing myself, I feel that my traps are my weakest point. So I am going to hit them hard by focusing on the deadlift and back in general. Next weak point is biceps, I will not actually be adding too much extra volume for biceps since I am already hitting them with the back work, but I will be hitting them frequently. Day 2 and 4 will be relatively low volume, to allow my energy to be focused on Day 1, 3, and 5. I will try to be smart this time and adjust my schedule based on diet/midnights/and other things that affect recovery/etc. Furthermore, I am not anal about having splits that fit into a week. Depending on my schedule, I may get this 5 day split done in 1 week or it may take 10 or 11 days...whatever.

Basically, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, and Quads are going on maintenance while I try to grow a yoke and some guns.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 PM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Tentative Back/Bicep Specialization:
DAY 1 Top End Deadlift, brachialis
DAY 2 - Chest
DAY 3 Low End Deadlift, biceps volume
DAY 4 - Shoulder, Tricep
DAY 5 Non Deadlift Back Work, biceps heavy

Assessing myself, I feel that my traps are my weakest point. So I am going to hit them hard by focusing on the deadlift and back in general. Next weak point is biceps, I will not actually be adding too much extra volume for biceps since I am already hitting them with the back work, but I will be hitting them frequently. Day 2 and 4 will be relatively low volume, to allow my energy to be focused on Day 1, 3, and 5. I will try to be smart this time and adjust my schedule based on diet/midnights/and other things that affect recovery/etc. Furthermore, I am not anal about having splits that fit into a week. Depending on my schedule, I may get this 5 day split done in 1 week or it may take 10 or 11 days...whatever.

Basically, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, and Quads are going on maintenance while I try to grow a yoke and some guns.
I stopped directly working out my traps, I find there's no substitute for the size that heavy deadlifting puts on them. You should get some before and after pics.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
I stopped directly working out my traps, I find there's no substitute for the size that heavy deadlifting puts on them. You should get some before and after pics.
That's why my specialization is based on the Deadlift (2 days of my split). I actually don't have any shrugs planned at the moment. Deadlifts, Power Cleans and Rows will be my mainstays.

Good idea on the pictures.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

I was home for lunch today, usually I eat then play with my 5 year old, well, he and my wife weren't home, so I thought, hmmm, maybe I can get in a quick workout and not sweat too much in my work clothes.

Bench Press from pins (set at 5 or 6 inches above chest)
Bar x 50, Full ROM warmup
70x3
120x3
140x3
160x3
170x3
180x3
190x3
200x3
210x3
220x3
185x9

Close Grip Bench Press from pins (set at 2 inches above chest)
170x3
190x3
210x3
170x8

Got this done in 20 minutes, I took roughly 30-45 seconds of rest between sets.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM
VeeKay should change his/her status!
Rookie

Mahn! I really wanted to see a huge squat PR

Anyways, its always good to stop & reassess something thats not working. I really like the way u designed ur split.. centred around a heavy lift, focusing on weak areas & leaves room for change whenever needed.. gave a few ideas for myself
Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeKay View Post
Mahn! I really wanted to see a huge squat PR
Believe me so did I! It will happen, but I need a break from squatting first, next time I attack my squat, I will go at it with the right mindset and I will EAT BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeKay View Post
Anyways, its always good to stop & reassess something thats not working. I really like the way u designed ur split.. centred around a heavy lift, focusing on weak areas & leaves room for change whenever needed.. gave a few ideas for myself
Thanks VeeKay, glad you got something out of it.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Day 3 - Low End Deadlift

Cambered Bar 2 inch Deficit Deadlift
245, 265, 285, 305, 335 x5

ss/

Power Clean
70x5 between all sets

Snatch Grip Deadlift
255, 275, 295, 315, 335 x3

ss/

Power Clean
90x3 Between all sets

Good Morning
100, 125, 145, 165, 185 x5

ss/

Preacher Curl
30, 40, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70x5, 60x8

Felt great doing the deadlift/power clean supersets. The power cleans were light and didn't fatigue me. Very little rest this workout, kept the pace up pretty well.
Today was supposed to be bicep volume, I may need to add some more, only the last 5 sets of the preachers were taxing, so it may not have been enough stimulus.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Day 4 - Shoulder, Tricep

Push Press (power cleaned the weight first rep)
warmup
110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160 x3, 130x8

Lying Tricep Extension (deloaded) from pins - set 2" from my face
40, 50, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80 x3, 65x8

ss/

Lying Tricep slam and holds (about 6 inch ROM in the pins)
40, 40, 50, 50, 60, 60, 60 x3

Very little rest, about 1 minute between sets. Felt good.

Last edited by Commander; 10-04-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Day 5 - Non-Deadlift Back, bicep heavy

Pendlay Row
Barx50
150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200, 210 x3
220x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTbi_MAUmS
175x9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCXaWO9ZdA

Chin-up
BW, +10, +20, +30, +40,+50x3
+60 x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P0AwJAZ4VA
+10 x9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVus_jon25Y

Barbell Curl
70, 80, 90, 100x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOB348BX84Q (watch for the cameo by my 5 year old, he tells me he spilt his milk!)

Sorry, if I got a little video crazy today. It is fun to check your form. It helps, I thought that I was done at 200x3 on Pendlay rows, but then I checked my form and felt pretty confident so I kept going for 2 more sets.

Workouts have been great lately. Smolov is a great program, but I feel such freedom now since I went off it.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength