Commanding My Body - Page 31 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Well, Smolov is finished. My new plan is to build up my deadlift with the Coan/Phillipi deadlift routine. I wanted to find a routine for deadlift as challenging as Smolov was for squat. Coan/Phillipi is the result of my searches. It is not a high frequency program like Smolov, it is only once per week, thus giving me time to actually do other stuff with my training besides 1 push and 1 pull exercise. I hope to get my max close to 500 lbs.

My secondary area of focus will be arms. Those who follow along in my journal, know that I have been a "no frills" guy for many many months, doing the Hyperplasia Challenge, Rippetoe and Smolov with practically no direct arm work. I am going to enjoy a complete change of pace for while. I will be incorporating rest/pause, failure training (mostly on arms, not on bigger movements), fascia stretching and training for the pump.

Program will look like this (subject to tweaks):
Day 1: Coan/Phillipi (as laid out in the link above) = BACK HYPERTROHPY, HAMS HEAVY AND HYPERTROPHY
Day 2: REST
Day 3: HITT ~ sprints possibly (10-15 minutes), BACK HEAVY/BICEPS HYPERTROPHY, ABS
Day 4: QUAD HEAVY AND HYPER TOGETHER, CHEST HEAVY/TRICEPS HYPERTROPHY, AB VACUUMS
Day5: Rest
Day 6: Sled conditioning work (10-15 minutes), CHEST HYPER, DELT HEAVY AND HYPER TOGETHER
Day 7: Rest

I can't make up my mind as to what I am going to do with my diet. I've been bulking and am consistently close to 200 lbs when I wake up. I have some fat to lose which would be nice from a vanity perspective before summer, but I also have enjoyed getting bigger. I have toyed with the idea of cutting to 181 for a powerlifting show but since I am getting older (I'm 30) I am hesitant with spending so much time cutting (it would take me awhile to get to 181 carefully) when I probably don't have much good "muscle growing" time left....it's only gonna get harder as I get older.

So, in the mean time, I will maintain my current level of macros and see what happens. I suspect that I will gain a little more and then it will level off since I don't plan on increasing my macros. Hopefully, at that point, since I am training hard and consuming a lot of food, if my weight is constant maybe I can pull off some compositional changes while sitting right around 200 pounds.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 04-14-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Looks like a good program, I might actually consider doing this one before year's end.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Albertog is OK
Lightweight

Awesome program with Smolov man! Can't wait to see what are you doing next and the new deadlift program, good luck!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
Looks like a good program, I might actually consider doing this one before year's end.
Which one? Smolov or Coan/Phillipi? I definitely recommend Smolov to ANYONE with the stomach to squat 3x4 times per week. I will let everyone know in 8 weeks whether Coan/Phillipi (C/P) is worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertog View Post
Awesome program with Smolov man! Can't wait to see what are you doing next and the new deadlift program, good luck!
Thanks! I loved it! I hope C/P will rock my deadlift as well as Smolov rocked my squat.

No workout last night, I worked a midnight shift the night previous (yes, after my squat test and back/bicep workout, not exactly optimal) and needed to get some sleep big time.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 PM
icehawk is .
Light-Heavyweight

87lbs to your squat and an inch and a half on your quads in 13 weeks... Man, I should really consider Smolov since my squat sucks in comparison to my other lifts. How on earth do you get used to squatting 4 times a week???
Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
87lbs to your squat and an inch and a half on your quads in 13 weeks... Man, I should really consider Smolov since my squat sucks in comparison to my other lifts. How on earth do you get used to squatting 4 times a week???
I was doing Starting Strength/Rippetoe prior to Smolov so I was used to Squating 3x per week already and deadlifting 3x in a 2 week period. Therefore, my anterior and posterior chains were already accustomed to high frequency and volume.

Starting Strength wasn't too difficult to transition into because when I started the program my 3 sets of 5 was pretty low, I started at 195x3x5 so it wasn't so taxing on my body. It was easy because I estimated my 5 rep max pretty low to start the program knowing that I would be squating so often.

Smolov was much higher volume but it wasn't too crazy of a transition since I was already doing 3 hard squat sessions per week. I think the Smolov set up,which can be found here,...

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...squatcycle.htm

...is brilliant in terms of the planned progression and variations in set/rep combinations. The variations really help to manage fatigue. That said, follow the program exactly as written and don't do ANYTHING else for legs! Plus, don't do much for upper body during this program. I picked just 1 push and 1 pull most of the time.

So my advice would be to do a program like Starting Strength first estimating your 5 rep max on the low end. Once you max out your gains in the Starting Strength, switch over to Smolov.

I just got back from a local Tea Party event. It was very well organized. I enjoyed participating in it.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

can't wait to follow this program...i'm going to read up on it more

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 PM
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight

Yeah, seems like a really good program. I need to be careful with my back though... I am worried about pulling too much weight. Maybe I'll stick with a 5x5 type routine for DL.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
can't wait to follow this program...i'm going to read up on it more
I can't wait either, I read that many crash and burn on C/P, but that WILL NOT be me!

Did you like my Smolov results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootb33r View Post
Yeah, seems like a really good program. I need to be careful with my back though... I am worried about pulling too much weight. Maybe I'll stick with a 5x5 type routine for DL.
I hope it's as good as Smolov. 5x5's and 3x5's are good, obviously forces you to use less weight then pulling doubles. Stick with what works for you.

Smolov will remain in my tool box, I will probably be whipping it out again over next winter. We'll see how C/P goes. You guys will get the full details here of course.

Just an FYI in case anyone is confused. C/P is just Day 1 of my split, the rest of it I made up. C/P isn't a total program, it is a lift-specific program.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

umm dude...those results are ridiculous...that's all i'm going to say...to add that much in 13 weeks is awesome...we should have like an ABC Summit...where all of us from the boards train/eat all day.

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength