Commanding My Body - Page 129 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
why did you take out the 3rd workout for the day? I like that plan though! I especially like the fact that you are squatting and deadlifting in the afternoon, after you wake up, and have had a chance to eat a bit...was that on purpose? Also, any accessory lifts during these workouts, or are you going to just do the one exercise?
3rd workout was eccentric-less training pulling my tire. It was all outside, and it is simply too cold right now. I likely won't do it again until the Spring, which is a bummer, because I loved it and really believed it was beneficial.

Yes, squatting and deadlifting at lunch was most definitely on purpose, I couldn't imagine doing them at 6am. Much easier to get motivated for a bench session at 6am. And yes, I get the added benefit of having more meals in me.

Flat Bench/OH Press is supersetted with traps/rhomboids/rotator cuff work

Squat/Deadlifts is supersetted with light arm work

Lats/Biceps is supersetted with calve work

No other assistance planned, if I have a minute or two at the end of a workout, I like to throw in some "pump" work and abs.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 12-08-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Thursday

AM - OH Press

90 (plus 10) 120x3
130x3, 9 sets

supersetted with Upright Cable Row 40x6

Lunch - Squat

140 (plus 20) 200x2
220x3, 14 sets

supersetted with light bicep curls

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Friday

Flat Bench
210x3, 20 sets

superset with wide cable row 77.5x8

Deadlift
346x3, 16 sets

Was supposed to do 14 sets, but I lost track and I am pretty sure I ended up doing 16 sets.

superset with light tricep pushdowns

Last edited by Commander; 12-10-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Saturday

Chinup - squeeze and hold at peak contraction briefly
BWx14, 10, 9, 8

Pulldown
80x8, double contraction reps, 4 sets

T-Bar
135x11, 11, 10, 10
115x8, double contraction reps, 4 sets

Ab Wheel Rollouts
BWx10, 3 sets

Light Bicep curls and crunches

Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Sunday - Off, fast

Sat 178, Sun 177, Monday 173.5

Monday - worked a midnight shift last night

AM-Flat Bench

155 (plus 10) 205x3
215x3, 10 sets
172.5x3, 10 sets

Superset with wide cable rows

Lunch - Squat

145 (plus 20) 205x3
225x3, 8 sets
180x3, 6 sets

superset with light arm work

Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

So I feel like trash lately, it is my own stupid fault.

First, my lower back is tight as can be, because I squat Monday, deadlift Tuesday, T-bar row on Wednesday and then repeat for Thursday, Friday, Saturday. My lower back was only getting Sunday off.

I think I have the solution for that. I will do chest-supported rows to take the pressure off my lower back on Wednesday and Saturday. I tried it out by laying on my ab bench, it felt great and I was able to target my lats just as effectively as the t-bar rows.

Second, my left delt is killing me on pressing. I completely ditched my morning OH pressing workout today. Again, my fault, I was pressing 5 days in a row. Flat on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. OH Pressing on Tuesday and Thursday. Now, I feel my training is balanced in terms of pressing vs pulling and external rotation type work. Not sure, what I will do about this. I like my set up. I may try OH presses with dumbbells, assess in a few weeks.

-------

Tuesday

AM - OH Press

Epic Fail

Lunch - Deadlift

Deadlift - no belt, 1 minute rest between sets
271 (plus 20) 331x3
351x14 sets

superset with light arm work

Today called for 8 sets with 351 and then 6 sets with 80% of 351. However, I felt good and stuck with 351 for all the sets and will go up to 356 on Friday's deadlift session.

-----

And so it starts.....Winter is upon us in SouthWest PA. I spent the first part of my morning shoveling about 4 inches of snow.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Wednesday

Flat Bench
215x3, 12 sets
172.5x3, 8 sets

Chinup
BW+5 x 14, 10, 9

Pulldown
80x8, 3 sets of double contraction reps

Cable Row (to replace T-Bar Row due to lower back needing a rest)
50x15, 2 sets
60x12
60x8, 3 sets of double contraction reps

My plate loaded machine is crazy, using just 60 lb, it felt comparable to using around 120-130 lbs on the T-bar. Of course, the feeling was only in my lats, it was nice to not have to stabilize with my legs and lower back. I think that will go a long way to helping my lower back feel better.

--------

Regarding my delt pain, I think I have some more clues. My left bicep is strained right now (and has been for about 1 week), which is involved in bench press as a dynamic stabilizer. I am guessing that the strain (which I don't have a clue as to how IT happened, lol!) is putting more stress on my deltoid to relieve the bicep, which in trun aggravates the deltoid.

Regardless, it would probably take time off to properly heal it........and we know that is not happening. Pushing on....

Last edited by Commander; 12-16-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thursday

OH Press
115x3, 12 sets

Still trying to find an ideal weight for this exercise considering the delt pain. I bumped it back from 130. Will go up to 117.5 next time.

Squat
225x3, 14 sets

Program called for 8 sets at 225 then 6 sets at 80% of 225. But I felt good so I stuck with it. Very explosive. Last set each rep was paused in the hole for about 2 seconds. Will go up to 230 next time.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Friday

Flat Bench
215x3, 10 sets
172.5x3, 10 sets

Deadlift - no belt
356x3, 14 sets

Supposed to do 8 sets and then drop to 80%, but it felt good, bar speed was still quick, so I stuck with 356 for all sets. Will go up to 361 next time.

I am seriously thinking about giving myself 5-7 days off from benching. I need to heal. I think I will focus on back while I give my chest and delts a rest.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Last Friday night we spent the night in a hotel as a Christmas present to our two boys. It was a blast, swam in their pool and just had a good ol' time.

However, I caught a cold, I am guessing from the pool room, the warm environment probably fosters germs.

Saturday I did a lats/biceps workout and aggravated my bicep strain big time. It hurts to even attempt a bodyweight pushup (bicep is a stabilizer on pushing movements). So I am taking time off. Sometimes time off is planned, other times God says, "Take time off" by throwing a cold and injuries at you, lol!

What can I say, I have been going HARD ever since I started my diet. And coming off my 5.5 month diet, I started training 3-a-days. I truly believe that my downfall came a few weeks ago when I cut out the 3rd session. The eccentric-less training was contributing to my ability to recover from the huge frequency of training. I started to get the delt and bicep pain after cutting out the eccentric-less training. Darn Pennsylvania cold and snow!

I always believed it was beneficial, not now I have experienced first hand how my body responded to trying to train with high volume and high frequency WITHOUT eccentric-less training. I will plan my split accordingly until I can go back to 3-a-days in the Spring. I will have to cut back on volume and frequency during the winter. That said, not sure when I will lift again. I haven't touched a weight since Saturday. Mentally, I am itching to train now, but I can tell my bicep is still in quite a bit of pain. I can probably squat right now, that's it. No deadlift because I use a mix grip (even though I alternate) it would leave my bicep prone to aggravating the injury, unless I use straps so I can avoid aggravating my bicep.

So the plan is to try my best and enjoy this break. Squat and Deadlift when I can. And as soon as my bicep heals, get back to upperbody work.

Last edited by Commander; 12-23-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength