Weight Loss During Sleep - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Commander's Avatar
Commander Commander is offline
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East U.S.A.
Posts: 6,322
Default Weight Loss During Sleep

http://advan.physiology.org/cgi/cont...ll/29/4/213#T3

This study indicates that average individuals lose about 230g (0.5 lb) during sleep and 83% of that is water loss. But they didn't include urine or feces.

This website...
http://health.howstuffworks.com/question227.htm
...indicates that people can lose up to about 2 to 3 pounds during sleep with as much as 1 pound or more coming from urine. So the numbers kind of match up when you add the weight loss from urine onto the study mentioned above.

So what about bodybuilders?
1.) What can be expected for us? For example, I typically lose 3 pounds a night, but last night, I lost six pounds (198 to 192)!

I bring this up because I find it interesting and it has practical applications for us lifters.

2.) When someone loses 6 pounds, can we still use the percentages the study talked about? Say I lost 2 pounds from waste, is the other 4 lbs 83% water loss, meaning I lost 17% bodymass or 0.68 lbs?

3.) And what is the 0.68 lbs? Fat mass, lean mass?

4.) And if the 17% is lean mass, what can be done to prevent lean mass loss overnight? This is probably the easiest question, I am assuming consume more casein would be the best answer.

Very interesting, please share any thoughts.
__________________

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 PM
klosey's Avatar
klosey klosey is offline
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eggborough UK
Posts: 8,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
http://advan.physiology.org/cgi/cont...ll/29/4/213#T3

This study indicates that average individuals lose about 230g (0.5 lb) during sleep and 83% of that is water loss. But they didn't include urine or feces.

This website...
http://health.howstuffworks.com/question227.htm
...indicates that people can lose up to about 2 to 3 pounds during sleep with as much as 1 pound or more coming from urine. So the numbers kind of match up when you add the weight loss from urine onto the study mentioned above.

So what about bodybuilders?
1.) What can be expected for us? For example, I typically lose 3 pounds a night, but last night, I lost six pounds (198 to 192)!

I bring this up because I find it interesting and it has practical applications for us lifters.

2.) When someone loses 6 pounds, can we still use the percentages the study talked about? Say I lost 2 pounds from waste, is the other 4 lbs 83% water loss, meaning I lost 17% bodymass or 0.68 lbs?

3.) And what is the 0.68 lbs? Fat mass, lean mass?

4.) And if the 17% is lean mass, what can be done to prevent lean mass loss overnight? This is probably the easiest question, I am assuming consume more casein would be the best answer.

Very interesting, please share any thoughts.
weight loss in sleep is normal i have lost 10lb in one night its just down to no water intake and no food intake.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Commander's Avatar
Commander Commander is offline
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East U.S.A.
Posts: 6,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
weight loss in sleep is normal i have lost 10lb in one night its just down to no water intake and no food intake.
I understand it is normal, but do the percentages apply for us bodybuilders?
We are losing way more per night than average people. Is it still mostly water weight? Or are we sacrificing some lean mass at night too?
__________________

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
klosey's Avatar
klosey klosey is offline
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eggborough UK
Posts: 8,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I understand it is normal, but do the percentages apply for us bodybuilders?
We are losing way more per night than average people. Is it still mostly water weight? Or are we sacrificing some lean mass at night too?
it is mostly water, we lose more because we are using more for fuel, when sleeping a bodybuilders metabolism is still high when compared to an inactiive persons, its still burning calories when you sleep, yes some could be muscle but i believe it would take over a month to lose a full lb of muscle, just make sure you have protein before bed and first thing upon waking to make sure your body is as anabolic as possible
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Commander's Avatar
Commander Commander is offline
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East U.S.A.
Posts: 6,322
Default

Awesome, I was hoping that would be the answer.

Man, klosey, where are the other posters?
I feel like you and I are having one-on-one conversations lately.
__________________

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Venom's Avatar
Venom Venom is offline
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Pain Zone
Posts: 19,500
Default

Yeah, I don't think that applies to us. I notice I lose more water weight especially when I cut carbs.

However, I also eat a meal in the middle of the night, so what about that?!?!
__________________
Gabriel "Venom" Wilson, Ph.D. Nutritional Sciences
B.S. (Hons) & M.S. in Kinesiology, CSCS
Vice President, ABCbodybuilding
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!


Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 AM
klosey's Avatar
klosey klosey is offline
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eggborough UK
Posts: 8,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Yeah, I don't think that applies to us. I notice I lose more water weight especially when I cut carbs.

However, I also eat a meal in the middle of the night, so what about that?!?!
i have a shake ready incase i wake up in middle of night, but with the one before bed and upon waking there is a minimal risk of losing muscle as i only sleep 5-6 hours
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2008, 07:43 AM
klosey's Avatar
klosey klosey is offline
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eggborough UK
Posts: 8,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Awesome, I was hoping that would be the answer.

Man, klosey, where are the other posters?
I feel like you and I are having one-on-one conversations lately.
yeah i know what you mean, its also helping with new work layout i can check the site 3 times a day not just once
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
klosey's Avatar
klosey klosey is offline
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eggborough UK
Posts: 8,092
Default

just to note the most i have lost in a night is 15lb now bad night and had no water yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Commander's Avatar
Commander Commander is offline
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East U.S.A.
Posts: 6,322
Default

That's amazing! The most I've lost is 6 lbs and I thought that was a lot. 15 lbs is just unreal.
__________________

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.