On the Path - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Werehusky is working
Rookie

Lightbulb On the Path

I'd thought I'd finally make a Journal now that I'm finally taking the Sport more serious then ever. Plus I've loved ABC ever since I started coming here as a 15 year old in 2003, oh it's been a while.

I try to keep my training as simple and hardcore as possible. I dont go to the gym to be just bigger; I go to become faster, stronger, and better. Over the past two weeks I've been doing 45 minutes of non-stop pushing, wroking big muscle groups together, plus trying to get leg workouts in twice a day every other day. But that was way to hard to accomplish being here and all.

Now I'm doing hypertrophy workouts, with slow eccentrics and fast concentrics on day 1 of muscle group workouts, and day 2(48-72hours later) doing strength training... I plan on doing this for 2 weeks.

I'd like to dedicate all my workouts to God and the knowledge I've gainned from all the posters on ABC.

I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.- Psalm 40:8
Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Werehusky is working
Rookie

Workout 10/22/08 2400

Biceps/triceps/forearms

For the warmup I did 15 reps of squats started with the bar and kept adding 25 pound plates to near failure. After that did deadlifts 135x10 30 second rests inbetween sets and close hand pullups/tricep exercises.

After warmup:
Hammer curls 10x3 with skullcrushers 10x3
close hand pullups and tricep exercises
close hand cable curls 10x3 with Tricep pulldowns 10x3
Concentration curls 10x3 with one arm dumbell tricep extensions 10x3
One arm barbell preacher curls, after the end of these I flexed for 30 seconds and overhead tricep extensions; also flexed after those.

Next I did heavy barbell wrist curls and reverse wrist curls for 3 sets and flexed Biceps/strechted triceps after each set for 30 seconds with a barbell.

To finish it off I held a close grip pullup mid way for one minute to get a huge pump, it felt pretty good haha.

Overall: I didn't have any rest time for these excerses, and I focused on long 4 second eccentrics, while trying to explode on the concentric. I rarely went to failure at the end of the sets, because that wasn't my goal for this one. It was a good workout but felt like it was missing something and didn't get that big of a pump from it.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Werehusky is working
Rookie

Workout 10/25/08 1100

Legs Heavy/Forearms

Warmup - Flexed and streched muscles to raise body temperature and get the blood moving.

After Warmup:
Squats - got up to 315. Would have gone higher if I had a spotter.
Leg extensions: got up to 370
One legged presses: got up to 400
Leg curls: got up to 140

I stretched after every set and did leg exerscises. Every other set I did heavy barbell wrist curls and heavy dumbell shrugs. At the end I did was 81 sit-ups in about a minute and 20 hand facing each-other pull-ups(forgot what those were called....)

Overall: Great workout when it came to poundages, got a good pump in my legs since I haven't done strength training in a while(oops). I took 3-5 minutes rest time after each set and it ended up taking about 1 hour and 20 minutes to get done. I also haven't been able to workout in the last couple of days because of work and all, so I'll have to workout again today to catch up. Note to self; Hamstrings are way to weak , maybe because they arn't very well developed yet.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Werehusky is working
Rookie

Workout 10/27/08 1100

Biceps/Triceps heavy

Warmup: Did some pull-ups and tricep extensions.

Workout:
Standing bicep curls got up to 155 pounds.
Skull crushers got up to 125 pounds. Need a spotter heh
After these I wanted to get more intense;
Lying Hammer bar tricep exension plus T-rows. Got up to 125 on the tricep extensions and 225 on the T-rows.
Close hand decline bench press plus Preacher curl machine. Got up to 180 on the close hand and 130 on the preacher curl.
Tricep extension machine plus upright rows. Got up to 170 on the machine and 135 on the upright rows.
Did push-ups, sit-ups, and wide grip pull-ups to failure.

After each set of exercises I rested 3-5 minutes and kept it in the 2-5 rep range except for warmups. During the rest period I did all kinds of pull-ups and tricep exercises to help with recovery.

Overall: I went up in poundages in everything, though I really wished I had a spotter so I could have done more weight asisted to get a shock out of the eccentrics. I was going to have one but he had to guard some Iraqs so =/. I didn't do as much weight as I wanted on the preacher curls or close hand grip decline bench press(really wanted to get up to 200 with that) But oh well, theres always next week. I haven't got to workout as much as I wanted to because of missions and only getting one meal a day because of the missions. Really dissapointing for me but I need to keep focused and forget about meeting the "quotas." Also I dont know if I did enough variety on this workout, when I do strength training I really like to do compounds inside of it.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Werehusky is working
Rookie

Chest/back hypertrophy

Warmup: Flexed and did some pullups plus dips.

Workout:
Decline bench press with deadlifts 4x10
Dumbbell flys with one arm dumbbell(plams facing the body) and T-rows 3x10
Pec dec machine plus reverse pec dec machine. Found A weight I failed at 3 on and kept dropping the weight until I got 40 reps on both
Lat pulldowns and incline bench double drop set on both and did static holds at the end

I didn't have any rest period thoughout the whole workout except when I was doing pull-ups and dips after each superset to failure. At the end of the workout I did 30 seconds stretches for the back and chest twice.

Overall: Pretty good workout, didn't get to tired but my partner was wasted at the end so he ended up lowering my intensity a little. Next time I'll increase the intensity by a lot, do a lot more stretches, static holds, and partial reps. When I workout with a partner I usually go heavery so I didn't want to drop the weight, which was my fault and I should have to get a better workout.

Last edited by Werehusky; 10-29-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Werehusky is working
Rookie

Legs hypertrophy

Warmup: did a few pull-ups, dips and elevated pushups just to get the body temp up.

Workout:
Double drop set squats 3 sets
Double drop set leg extensions 3 sets
double drop set leg curls 3 sets
Leg extension plus straight leg deadlifts 3 sets
Huge adductor machine super set

The goal for the workout was to have absolutely no rest times except when I was changing out the plates. I did 10 reps for the first set and the second set I did 20 reps for double drop sets. On the last for the second half of the double drop I had 5 second ecentrics. After EVERY set I did partial reps to failure and static holds for 30 seconds.

Overall: Pretty good workout, didn't get as worn out as I was hoping to get. I cant wait for next week so I can change up my workout scheme, because I'm just not getting as tired with these workouts as I used to get. I like leaving the gym panting like a dog haha. I guess I need to increase the intensity, number of sets, and strectching.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 AM
spider-man is BACK!!!!!!!! wait.... where'd i go?
Light-Heavyweight

training for strength IS training for hypertrophy... And endurance...
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 AM
spider-man is BACK!!!!!!!! wait.... where'd i go?
Light-Heavyweight

You shouldn't (at least this is MY opinion) feel totally exhausted after a workout... Shorter, more frequent routines have been shown to be more productive than longer, less frequent ones...

example:

doing six sets of squats once a week, is less beneficial than doing three sets of squats TWICE a week.

Granted, don't take that into saying doing one set of squats every day would therefore be best (which it might, i haven't seen anybody test that) but you get the idea...
Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Werehusky is working
Rookie

Deltoids Hypterophy

Warmup: did some pull ups, stetches, and some standing military presses.

Workout
30 minutes of military press, upright rows, lateral raises.

I was low on times and wanted to do something a little different so I picked up the barbell and just started doing military presses until my deltoids didn't want to move anymore. I kept each set in the 8-14 rep range and added in some triple drop sets.

Overall: wasn't the workout I had planed but I had to do something with the time I had, so I made it work. Go a huge pump in my deltiods which I normally dont get, it felt great.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Werehusky is working
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-man View Post
training for strength IS training for hypertrophy... And endurance...
When I say hypertrophy workouts I mean I keep it in the rep range of 8-14, strength 1-5, and endurance 15+. I agree that strength is good for hypertrophy but that's not what I meant by it.

Last edited by Werehusky; 11-03-2008 at 04:21 AM.