Female lifters - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
smott999 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Gals/Guys I have a question about training and how to cycle on and off lifting regimes...

A couple years ago I was able to lose some fat and gain some lean quite succesfully over about 12 weeks of lifting x4 days/week, with cardio thrown in on off days, and a fairly strict diet in terms of eating frequent small meals...I was actually down to about 3 lbs less than my playing weight in college which I thought wasn't bad for a 40-something!!

In any case I kind of plateued and could never really get much leaner than that, even though I altered my routines so that every 2-3 weeks I was changing the specidifc excercises for the various muscle groups and so on.

My nephew tells me you need to go through periods where you lift very lightly or even not at all, to avoid these plateaus....any advice? x nbr of weeks on, x nbr off, or whatever?

I plateaued after about 12 weeks....

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 AM
eclipse23 is !!!!!!!!
Lightweight

the main thing to keep gains consistent is constantly mixing up your routine. I never do the same workout 2 weeks in a row. I keep what days I hit each muscle the same (sometimes, it often varies slightly from week to week), but I vary the exercises, reps, rest time, volume, etc... each worout. Even something like if you usually work chest first then shoulders second, next week work shoulders first and chest second.

Your body adapts very quickly to handle whatever you tell it to, so changing any part of your workout will force it to try to adapt to a different type of stimulation. Which, in short, means GAINS or fat loss in some cases.

Another issue could have been your diet. Maybe after 12 weeks of dieting your metabolism slowed from being used to not getting enough calories to maintain weight. Pretty much it adapted to the amount off food you were giving it and found a way to maintain itself with that amount of fuel. In a case like this calorie cycling or carb cycling is often used to trick your body into burning more calories and using carbs more efficiently. Basically on a day when you are more active you would take in more calories or carbs then you would on rest days, or else you would have one reload day per week. These are ways to jump start your metabolism, so to speak.

Hope I helped, feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

a very good way to stop plateus is to rotate exercises, say you usually do

bench press
press ups
close grip bench

in that order, every week rotate which exercise you start on. another good way to avoid plateu's is to change rep schemes so for 8-12 weeks do high reps 15 then low reps 4-6 then mod 8-10 etc
Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 PM
smott999 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Thanks for the info guys -

What I'm hearing is that I should not actually do a period of no/minimal lifting...?

But just attempt to alter routines as you guys suggest?

That is "more or less" what I've tried before, though I have not actually altered exactly as you say...i.e. I have not changed the actual order of excercises within a circuit....

But I'm hearing from my nephew (NCAA Div I athlete) that his trainers tell him you need to cycle significantly DOWN from heavy lifting...i.e. a period of no/or very light lifting...

Thoughts??

Thanks again it's great to be part of such a knowlesgeable forum!!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 AM
eclipse23 is !!!!!!!!
Lightweight

I can see that making sense in some situations, giving yourself a bit of a break so you can come back full force. If your nutrition and rest are up to par though I don't see a break being necessary.

if you often lift heavy it can also be beneficial for your joints to do lighter weight workouts for a week or two to give them a rest.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smott999 View Post
Thanks for the info guys -

What I'm hearing is that I should not actually do a period of no/minimal lifting...?

But just attempt to alter routines as you guys suggest?

That is "more or less" what I've tried before, though I have not actually altered exactly as you say...i.e. I have not changed the actual order of excercises within a circuit....

But I'm hearing from my nephew (NCAA Div I athlete) that his trainers tell him you need to cycle significantly DOWN from heavy lifting...i.e. a period of no/or very light lifting...

Thoughts??

Thanks again it's great to be part of such a knowlesgeable forum!!
most people call this tapering. its where after a set period of time you lower the weights and reps a little bit (some people keep calories same level others lower them a bit) then after a few weeks they work back up to going heavy again, the period of no lifting is a bad idea over a long peroid it'll make the metabolism suddinly slow down so you would stop losing body fat or worse gain it. i know venom on here tapers (even though he hates it lol) some people have a 1 week break every 4 or so months, either way will work aslong as you dont lose the work ethic during that peroid
Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 PM
sweetpea81 is ready!
Middleweight

It is so sad that most of the females fell off the ABC platform...I did for awhile too, but am trying to be more faithful!

My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I glorify God in it by walking in divine healing and divine health. - I Cor. 6:19
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea81 View Post
It is so sad that most of the females fell off the ABC platform...I did for awhile too, but am trying to be more faithful!
lol they all cheated on us and left lol
Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
lol they all cheated on us and left lol
we will never be the same.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 AM
angiebsassy is motivated.
Lightweight

Hey!

So, I am new to abc, and new to lifting. I just found this thread, and wanted to know why you guys train, what got you started, and what keeps you motivated. I just started training in Feb, and I love it. I could use, and would appreciate, any advice/motivation tips from fellow female lifters. Thanks!