HOT TUBS and HEAT SHOCK - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

Default HOT TUBS and HEAT SHOCK

i was just sitting here...pondering the HSP...we know that Heat Shock Proteins mayhelp attentuate atrophy....so would it be advantageous to sit in a hot tub during a deload or injury to induce HSP's? HSP's have also been shown to protect against diet-induced hyperglycemia, hyperinsulemia, glucose intolerance, and insulin resistance. I might start including this into my exercise program

any thoughts?

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 11-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I had never heard of this. (Although, I am not on the cutting edge, ha, ha!) But reading your post got me curious, so I found this site.

http://bodybuilding-muscle.blogspot....-workouts.html

24. Relax in a sauna or hot tub every day

>> Japanese researchers reported that rats exposed to a heat chamber set at 105 degrees F for two weeks increased muscle mass by 13% compared to those that weren't exposed to the heat. They concluded the results are likely due to the effect of heat shock proteins (specific proteins in the body that get released when exposed to heat) on cellular mechanisms of muscle growth.

And I thought this was neat. Another way to induce these proteins, if you found a way to do it properly it would be beneficial on a cut.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/index...390&StartRow=1

Even so, calorie restriction fosters decreased cellular oxidation, particularly in the portion of the cell that produces energy (mitochondria); induction of 'heat shock proteins' that protect cells from destruction; and insulin control.

Sounds worthy of trying your method, because hey, who doesn't want to relax in a hot tub anyway?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

Aye, if nothing else after I finish in the gym I use the pool for 10 minutes, hottub for 10, and I feel so relaxed and not as bone tired as I can some times. Definitely an interesting idea!

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 11-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Professor of Pain!!

exercise itself induces HSP...so in times of inactivity it may in theory become advantageous...perhaps another recovery tool...the problem one might run into is getting the muscle hot enough to express HSP's...i believe the don't get expressed until 41 degrees...i still think there might be something to this...we'll see what Venom and the Prez think....

Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

In an ideal world I would have a hot bath every weekend. I feel it helps heal battered muscles.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

I think its genius Andro! This is the type of stuff that can give bodybuilders that extra edge in activating anabolic pathways. I love thoughts like this and your work on occlusion because as hard as we train, we need additional methods that do not break us down further, yet still promote hypertrophy.

I am going to institute this myself!

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Professor of Pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Wilson View Post
I think its genius Andro! This is the type of stuff that can give bodybuilders that extra edge in activating anabolic pathways. I love thoughts like this and your work on occlusion because as hard as we train, we need additional methods that do not break us down further, yet still promote hypertrophy.

I am going to institute this myself!
when do you think would be the best to add it in...on off days, such as cardio days

Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

Popular folklore says that Epsom Salts added to a bath aids relaxing muscles.
Also Bicarb Soda, but I've not tried it. I'll give it a go and give some feedback.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
when do you think would be the best to add it in...on off days, such as cardio days
Off days would be great. One thing i am thinking is when proteins are most susceptable to unnecessary breakdown. After exercise just by the nature of the acidic environment proteins which were not damaged may be unfolded and then tagged by the Ubiquitin system and degraded unnecessarily. Since heat shock proteins refold proteins it may be advantageous to include HOT baths on days where you really obliterate your muscles to the point where you know you shocked them to the point where you r going to have a hard time moving the trained body part the next day. Its in these situations where I think you may be in danger to degrade proteins unnecessarily. So during those time, and on off days, deloading, and injury would be perfect

I'm also curious if the frequency of this should increase during periods of dieting? What do you think? It seems that it may have a sparing effect like HMB

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Wilson View Post
Off days would be great. One thing i am thinking is when proteins are most susceptable to unnecessary breakdown. After exercise just by the nature of the acidic environment proteins which were not damaged may be unfolded and then tagged by the Ubiquitin system and degraded unnecessarily. Since heat shock proteins refold proteins it may be advantageous to include HOT baths on days where you really obliterate your muscles to the point where you know you shocked them to the point where you r going to have a hard time moving the trained body part the next day. Its in these situations where I think you may be in danger to degrade proteins unnecessarily. So during those time, and on off days, deloading, and injury would be perfect

I'm also curious if the frequency of this should increase during periods of dieting? What do you think? It seems that it may have a sparing effect like HMB
now if this can help muscle growth, would facia streching or general stretching (full muscle contraction) simulate the same anabolic effects as lifting but without the muscle breakdown?