Atrophy - Part II - can have long term effects, but also good recovery is possible - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Default Atrophy - Part II - can have long term effects, but also good recovery is possible

http://ajpcell.physiology.org/cgi/co...ll/287/6/C1753

Quotes;
“Atrophy of skeletal muscle leads to decreases in myofiber size and nuclear number; however, the effects of atrophic conditions on muscle precursor cells (MPC) are largely unknown. MPC lie outside myofibers and represent the main source of additional myonuclei necessary for muscle growth and repair.

…. Thus atrophy led to a decrease in MPC and caused dysfunction in those MPC that remained.”

“For example, prolonged HS-induced (HS = hindlimb suspension) atrophy appears to result in long-lived deficits in the MPC of adolescent and aged animals, manifested by an inability of muscle tissue to grow or to regenerate”

“Further studies are required to determine whether multiple bouts of an atrophic stimulus lead to permanent adverse effects on the MPC population in adult rodents, even after the recovery period.”

I hope it can’t lead to permanent effects. If you saw the first part of the Atrophy thread I started, you know I am going to do everything I can to make sure the effects aren’t permanent.

Good news;
“MPC from atrophied muscles are impaired in their ability to activate and proliferate and also fail to differentiate properly into multinucleated myotubes. In contrast, MPC from recovered muscle do not differ from control.”

“Upon recovery of muscle mass, the number of nuclei outside myofibers increased 42% and 63% above control and HS values, respectively (Fig. 1B), indicating that marked proliferation of cells occurred during the recovery period to contribute not only to replenishing myonuclei but also to cells outside myofibers.”

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano