High reps - insulin sensitivity - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Default High reps - insulin sensitivity

We all laugh when someone says they want to do high reps to get "toned" or "cut." I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that indirectly, it kind of makes sense, according to these studies.
http://www.cababstractsplus.org/goog...No=20053094591
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../300/5622/1140

According to these articles, well developed mitochondria is linked to insulin sensitivity. And Poorly functioning mitochondria are linked to insulin resistance. So here is the tie in, we know that we can develop our mitochondria by higher reps, so the logical conclusion would be that higher reps end up helping improve our insulin sensitivity thus helping us to stay lean.

Now I know that usually when someone refers to getting toned from high reps they think that doing curls will get their biceps ripped, which of course is false. But if they just mean that high reps will be of benefit to their overall leanness, they are technically correct.

Not completely related to the thread, but of interesting note from the first link:

"It is proposed that a reduction in tissue mitochondrial ATP production signals the hypothalamic centers to reduce spontaneous physical activities."

If that is the case, talk about an endorsement for physical activity. Because otherwise you have a vicious cycle; little activity -> decreased mitochondrial ATP production -> reduce physical activity further -> decreased mitochondrial ATP production -> and so on and so on.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

I definitely agree that working on mito density is vital for getting lean. The ways I do that are: cardio, and also I include workouts during my split where I have very little rest, and go 8-12 reps, sometimes 15. In my experience, full body or full upper body, and full lower body workouts improve my conditioning and insulin sensitivity the most.

Is this what you had in mind? Or what do u mean by high reps?
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I definitely agree that working on mito density is vital for getting lean. The ways I do that are: cardio, and also I include workouts during my split where I have very little rest, and go 8-12 reps, sometimes 15. In my experience, full body or full upper body, and full lower body workouts improve my conditioning and insulin sensitivity the most.

Is this what you had in mind? Or what do u mean by high reps?
Yeah, anything 12-15 and over I was thinking when I said high reps.

So, it sounds like, from your post, that you can actually recognize yourself becoming more insulin sensitive after full body or upper/lower split workouts?

I guess this further stresses the importance/validity of DUP to reap the maximum benefits from your muscle fibres.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Oh yeah, full body workouts really increase my capacity to handle carbs. On those days, I can eat a lot and I still metabolize loads of fat. I do those about once a week.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.