Let's Call it a Comeback - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 AM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Let's Call it a Comeback

Just wanted to start off by saying hi to everyone. I've been off the boards for awhile due to various reasons. School, work, and volunteering have consumed most of my time lately. I had been suffering from an elbow injury for the past 3 years and finally decided to do something about. I quit lifting in May altogether and went under the knife in mid-July. I had a diagnostic elbow arthroscopy to remove some scar tissue from the joint. Apparently the elbow joint does not like to be invaded because I was told I would be back to new in one month and it's been seven weeks and I'm still not completely healed. I've finally regained all my range of motion and am only experiencing slight discomfort at this point. At this time last year I weighed around 215, but due to the surgery and inactivity, I've dropped down to around 185. Tomorrow will mark my first day back in the gym in four months, so I'm looking forward to that. I'm currently still in therapy so for the next month I will probably be duing extremely light cable and dumbbell work just to regain the muscle I lost due to the operation and prepare my elbow for a real workout. I'm not sure what routine I plan on using when I'm completely healthy.....the last regimen I used consisted of HIT, which worked fairly well but I think I want to add a little more volume and frequency into my workout since I seem to respond slightly better to that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. My goal is to be back up to around 200 pounds, but stay fairly lean (I was slightly pudgy when I weighed 215). Anyone feel free to comment or just stop in and say hi.....it's good to be back on the boards!

Scott

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
maverickBU is kinda famous
Heavyweight

Glad to see another voice of reason returned to the boards (aka, usually agrees with me ). You are always one of my favorite posters. Hope your recovery starts to pick up speed and you're back in the swing of things soon.

23-8 in the ABC Fight Corner
Old 09-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Thanks mav, very glad to see you're still hanging around these boards as well. Feel free to comment anytime seeing as I've always found your advice very helpful. How is everything going for you?

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Heavyweight

Could be better, I've got a minor bulge in one of my cervical discs. Long story short, my doc and orthopedist say its not worth the risk for surgery and that taking pain killers when it gets inflamed are about all I can do. They also suggested eliminating intense exercise. great....

I had to quit MMA (which I loved) cause it was causing a flare up every other week. By "flare up", I mean I'm on my back for at least 2 days loaded to the gills with vicadin. I still box on occaison, but the grappling caused flare ups almost indefinitely. I battled it for a few months, but the pain became to frequent and too much.

Between that and starting a new job that is an hour commute, I've had little time for fitness. I'm finally starting to make it work though. I have reduced it down to literally no filler workouts at home, 2-3 times a week. Workouts are typically 2-3 exercises for about 5 sets in whatever rep range I am choosing to work in.

I have only a bench, a bar, a pait of loadable dumbbells, 2 24kg KBs, 2 32kg KBs, and a beam in my basement I can do fingertip pullups on. its only deadlifts, zercher squats, pistols, front squats, swings, bench press, cleans/jerks/snatches/presses, rows, and pullups. Occaisonally ill throw in windmills, l-sits, elbow levers, and OH squats for my core.

I'm guessing thats more than you were asking for, but there you have it. I think I needed to vent a bit about my current situation, but I'm making it work. The good news is that I've been like this for about 6 months and with a so-so diet (im an ecto, i can get away with a lot) and a few workouts a week, I still look really good. A true testament to less can be more.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Ahhh, sorry to hear about your injury....that sounds frustrating. Is there any way therapy can correct it? I guess when it rains it pours, but it seems like you are making the best out of your situation. Looks like you can still have a pretty intense workout with your resources, especially since you're doing the exercises that matter most anyway. Feel free to vent anytime, we can make a sort of hybrid journal where we complain about our injuries and I occasionally throw in a thing or two about my workouts

Old 09-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Heavyweight

hahaha! terrific idea!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Alright so I've decided to postpone beginning my workouts until I've been cleared from therapy. They had me doing stretch band resistance training the other day which was extremely easy. I experienced no pain and was not sore the next day, so that's promising. I'm thinking I should be able to start my own weight training regimen towards the end of next week.....fingers crossed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wear a sweatshirt in the gym for the next couple months regardless of the temperature due to my left arm maybe measuring 12 inches right now