Commander's Bulk Journal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Game Forums > The HYPERplasia Challenge!

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Default bulking

Motivation:

I have been ďbulkingĒ since late May, and I am 4 pounds lighter than when I started! I can make excuses such as the cold that knocked me out for one week, the midnight shifts I work occasionally causing me to lose sleep because I go to my regular job after the midnight shift or the virus that caused me to lose 7 pounds (of which I only gained back 3!), but excuses wonít help. I can bad mouth myself, but that wonít help either. The time to get motivated and actually gain muscle is NOW, this competition is the motivation.

Would I enjoy winning? Yes, but more importantly, I want to improve my self-image and enjoy what I see in the mirror more. I want to learn more about how my body responds to different programs and dieting regimes. I want to use that knowledge to continue to make gains after the competition is over.

This is the time (well in 12 days anyway!).

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 10-29-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Commander\'s Bulk Journal

Diet:
My meals are divided into mostly P+F (goal of less then 10 grams of carbs) and P+C (goal of less then 5 grams of fat) meals to help balance my insulin response throughout the day and to avoid combining meals high in carbs and fat. The exception is dinner when I have to eat what my wife cooks (which is mostly healthy). If a P+F meals appears higher in carbs, it is due to fiber except for dinner.

Basis for this diet strategy:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sseating_2.htm

Food and Supplement Timing:

Meal - Calories, Fat, Carbs, Protein

8am PWO 274, 2, 44, 20 (on some days I will include a morning workout)
20g whey, 5g glutamine, 5g creatine, 1/8 cup dextrose, ľ cup malto, Vanadyl Sulfate, Acetyl L-Carnitine (or with breakfast)

7am Breakfast 765.5, 6, 118, 60
2/3 cup oats, 4 cups skim milk, 20g whey, ľ cup raisins, Vitamin C & E, Chromium

10am snack 473, 5, 72, 36
Ĺ can tuna, 1 apple, ľ cup lentils (soaked), 2 slices wheat bread, 2 capsules Fish Oil
1 bag peppermint tea, 1 bag green tea

12noon Lunch 603, 41, 17, 37
4 whole eggs, ľ cup peanuts, 1 inch cube Colby cheese, Multivitamin, Acetyl L-Carnitine

2pm snack 511, 26, 31, 39
Ĺ cup peanuts, Ĺ can tuna, ľ cup lentils (soaked), Calcium, 2 bags green tea

5pm Dinner 987, 36, 130, 40 (averages)
Whatever my wife cooks, 2 capsules Fish Oil, DIM, Vitamin C & E, Acetyl L-Carnitine,

7:30pm PWO 567, 4, 88, 40
40g whey, 5g glutamine, 5g creatine, ľ cup dextrose, Ĺ cup malto, ALA, Vanadyl Sulfate

8pm Shake 235, 3, 26, 26 (this is consumed on non-workout days)
2 cups skim milk, Ĺ scoop whey, 2 capsules Fish Oil

9:00 pm N/A
Magnesium 500mg, Zinc 50mg, B-6 50mg

10:00pm snack 292, 20, 10, 17
ľ cup peanuts, Ĺ serving almonds, 1/3 cup cottage cheese

Daily Totals Cal. Fat Carbs Protein
No workout 3888, 137, 404, 255
One workout 4201, 138, 466, 270
Two workouts 4475, 140, 510, 311

My daily totals are right in line with my goal, which is calculated based upon John Berardiís Massive Eating guide. My goal based upon the calculations I did was 4216 with 264 grams of protein. I plan on starting the diet now, so I can tweak if necessary by the start of the competition. Then I will continue to tweak based upon an ongoing combination of what the scale, calipers and mirror are reporting back to me.

Ways to Add calories (if needed):
1) ľ cup walnuts with nighttime snack, ľ cup frozen blueberries with nighttime shake
2) 1/3 cup oatmeal with breakfast, 1 cup skim milk with nighttime shake

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Overall Plan:
Iím trying to incorporate as much of the knowledge that I gained from this website, specifically, the Muscle Fibre articles, along with my own ideas to create a program for the Hyperplasia Challenge.

I'm using an Upper/Lower Heavy/Light split as my base to build this program

I then decided to hit quads and chest/tri's high frequency for different reasons

Quad - to try and stimulate the anabolic environment since my goal is bulking
Chest/Tri - not pleased with their development, so I picked one exercise to hit them both

Due to the high frequency I am varying the rep/set parameters greatly from workout to workout
I will also be doing active recovery for the quads and chest/tri's

No isolation arm work is planned (although I may hit them during taper weeks), I want to focus on the big movements for this bulk.

No direct calve work is planned other than jumping rope, calves are my only genetically gifted muscle

My goal is to hit it hard for 3 weeks then taper in week 4 (and 8) to supercompensate

Goal: 8 pounds of clean mass.

I canít really outline my split, but here is how much the various muscles will be hit over the course of 8 days:
Quad Dominant: 6 sessions, plus several active recovery, 19 sets (split in the 6 sessions)
Ham Dominant: 2 sessions, 15 sets of DLís and 10 direct Ham exercises
Calves: warm-ups for each session
Abs: 2 sessions, 15 sets
Chest/Tri: 7 sessions, plus several active recovery, 41 sets
Shoulders/Tri: 1 sesion, 5 sets
Back/Bi: 2 sessions of direct back work, 18 sets
Back (in general): 2 sessions of DLís, 15 sets

This is way different than my past approach to bodybuilding. I thought Iíd try something new for this challenge. I typically never did more than 8 sets per bodypart in any given 7 to 8 day cycle. However, I would take each of those sets to concentric failure and do partials. During this 8 day cycle, I will be using much more volume divided into twice per day sessions 3 days, 1 day with a single session, 3 days with active recovery and 1 day completely off. Due to this increase in volume, I will not be going to failure that often. I will be reserving that for the last few sets.

I will also not be using as much exercise selection as I typically do. The reason for doing this is twofold, 1) I wanted to choose the most ďbang for your buckĒ exercises and 2) I am training way more volume than I used to and I wanted to as efficient as possible with my time (what can I say, I am a father first!), I figured setting up for new exercises (I train alone with the type of dumbbells you have to screw on and off to adjust, they suck!) would create excess time spent in my gym instead of with my family.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

I know these posts are early, but I am trying to get into the discipline:

Notation:
All exercises with same letter are supersetted. Numbers given are sets first then how many reps completed. I will attempt to use the same weight for all sets, although fatigue may necessitate a decrease in weight or reps. Sometimes the supersets donít match up (in terms of total sets for each exercise), in that case I just finish with straight sets. Rest periods are typically 45 to 60 seconds.

Day 5 of rotation (8/19):

PM
A1 Pull-ups Bodyweight 10, 8
A1 Lat PDís (I do these once I canít get 10 pull-ups in one set) 3x10
A2 DB Military 5x10
B1 Sissy Squats Bodyweight 6x3
B2 Close Grip (first 3 sets) 3x15
B2 Pull-overs (second 3 sets) 3x10

The bodyweight sissysquats were a bit to easy, I will have to wear a backpack with resistance next time. My Triceps were fried after the military, close grip and pullovers. Lats fried too.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Day 7 (done 8/21):

A1 High Pulls (first 5 sets) 5x3
A1 Deadlifts (second 5 sets) 5x3
A2 Decline Reverse Crunch 10x3
A3 Leg Curl 10x3

I was intending on doing glute-ham raise instead of leg curl. But I have a nagging left knee injury (can be read about in the injury section) that I think may have been caused by either maxing on deadlift or the strain of glute-ham raises. It is a shame, leg curls are so boring after doing glute-ham raise. Maybe in a few weeks I will switch back.
Deadlifts felt awesome today. Plus, this was the first time I ever did high pulls, they feel great too.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

My traps feel great today from yesterday's highpulls and deadlifts...superbilt knows what I'm feeling!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Monday Morning's results:
Tricep 8
Subscapula 9
Iliac 10
Abdomen 13
Thigh 14
Armpit 6
Chest 7
TOTAL = 67mm, 9.6%
Weight 187.5, Lean Mass 169.5
Fat Mass 18 lbs

Tuesday Morning's results:
Tricep 7
Subscapula 10
Iliac 9
Abdomen 12
Thigh 12
Armpit 5
Chest 9
TOTAL = 64mm, 9.2%
Weight 187.5, Lean Mass 170.25
Fat Mass 17.25 lbs

Old 08-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Day 8 was REST
Day 1 (8/23):

AM
A1 Front Squat 3x5
A2 Close Grip Bench Press 5x3

PM
A1 Inc DB Press 10x3
A2 V-Bar Rows 10x3
B1 Back Squat 2x15
B2 Close Grip 2x12

Everything felt great today. I only have one rack, so I had to clean the front squats up in order to do them since I wanted to superset (to save time) and I had the EZ bar in the rack for close grips. But heh, I got a little extra workout from the cleans!
Got a great pump on the 10x3 exercises in spite of the low reps.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Day 2:
Was supposed to be some light active recovery. However, I was busy first with church, then cleaning for my son's birthday party, then having the party. Oh well, I will try to not miss a regular workout during this challenge.

Day 3 (8/25):
AM
A1 Zercher Squats 3x3
A2 Dips 6x4

Zercher's felt light, need to seriously bump the weight up. Dips were good, I am moving the same weight I moved 8x3 a few weeks ago. I'm happy with that progression.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Diet going well thus far. I am up 1.7 pounds (185.6 to 187.3) in the last week. (I find my average weight every seven days and use that as my source of comparison week-to-week) Therefore, I will not be tweaking the diet yet.

If I don't continue to gain weekly, then I will add roughly 250 calories per day.

8/25:
PM
A1 Snatch Grip DLís 5x10
A2 Ab Bench Twist 5x10
A3 Dips 4x10
A3 (I do these after I canít get 10 dips in a set) Close Grip BP 1x10
B Split Squat 2x20

This was only my 2nd ever Twice-per-day workout. It felt AWESOME! I did 4 sets of 10 on dips at BW. Last week I only got 2 sets before moving onto close grip BP...and that was without a morning workout.

I guess the morning strength workout really primed for the evening workout!
Man, the 2x20 Split squats really made me feel nauseous, high reps on legs is killer.