My first journal!!! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Matt Atkins should change his/her status!

Default My first journal!!!

I am very excited to get going with this. I just started a Biggest Loser contest at work (after already losing 20 lbs !!!) and my 15 week plan is to lose 20-25 more lbs and get down to around 160. I currently weigh 185 (started at 205) and am 5'8" and change.

I am starting a strict diet tomorrow and changing my workout plan a bit (hoping to get lots of advice here.) I will be posting tomorrow after Day 1 is over.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Default Re: My first journal!!!

I went to Costco last night and loaded up on stuff for my diet. I'm ready to go!!!!

Day 1
184.4 lbs on the gym scale (which they recently just replaced.. GRRRRRRRRRRRR)

Preparation
Last night I grilled 2 chicken breasts on the George Foreman grill, and boiled some broccoli. This took longer than I thought it would, mainly because I had to do a bit of research on the best way to cook the broccoli and I also had to clean the grill after more than a year of inactivity. Tonight should be much easier. I put the chicken breasts and broccoli in a tupperware container and tossed it in the fridge for today. After clean up and final preparations, I finally got to sleep at around 11 which is about a half hour too late. I set my alarm for 5:45am.

5:20am
I woke up before my alarm, and scrambled around for about 30 minutes finding my workout clothes and getting everything together for work. I definitely need to do this the night before.

5:45am -
4 egg white (from carton)
1 whole wheat piece of toast
All natural salsa

I am not too fond of eggs, so I bought the salsa to help with the taste. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not used to eating any breakfast or if it was the food, but I found myself having to force the last half down, and didn't finish my whole plate of eggs. Not so happy about that. I drank about 12 ounces of water with breakfast and headed to the gym.

6:15am -
45 minutes of cardio

Initially, I'm going to try hitting the gym twice a day. Cardio in the morning and then weight training at night on my weight training days. I hopped on the stairs (escalator looking thing that is real stairs) for 30 minutes at level 8 of the fat burning program (Interval.) About 10 minutes in, I got this abnormal burst of energy that ended up lasting the rest of my workout. The rest of the time just flew by. I'm wondering if this is from the breakfast that I ate. One can only assume. I finished the program semi-easily finishing at 345 calories burned after 124 flights of stairs. I moved straight over to the ellyptical (sp?) machine for another 15 minutes at a pretty high rate. Finished at about 100 calories burned after a mile. I drank approximately 32 ounces of water during workout. Hopped in the shower and got ready for work.

6:50am -
MuscleMilk Chocolate Milk flavored shake

I don't have my whey protein yet, so I settled for a MuscleMilk shake, which tasted DELICIOUS!!!!!! I'm going to find out how good of a PWO shake MuscleMilk is for what I want to do because I could see myself actually looking forward to this shake it tastes so good. DOH!!!!! I forgot the food that I prepared in the fridge at home!!! DETOUR!!!! I drank the shake while on my way to work, which took about 30 minutes or so. Also drank another 12 ounces of water.

11:20am -
1 rice cake
peanut butter

I ate this snack waaaaay later than I wanted to, and my body let me know the entire time. For one, I had to go to the store to get rice cakes and peanut butter, and I had a meeting right at the time I wanted to eat. I drank a little over 20 oz. of water since I've been at work also. I'm on my second 20 oz. bottle now.

12:45pm -
Steak soft taco on corn tortilla
Pico de gallo
cheese

My schedule got completely screwed up today. I met some friends for lunch, and decided since I had a late snack, I would eat my chicken when I got back to the office. It took way longer than I thought it would, and ended up eating a steak soft taco. Could have been worse I guess.

3:30pm
2 grilled chicken breasts
broccoli
worchester sauce

I was very hungry. I ate the lunch that I prepared and it was decent. I'm going to to look for ways to give the chicken more flavor. The worchester sauce helped a little, but I'm wondering if that is too much sodium.

5pm
1 rice cake
peanut butter

The timing was kind of messed up today. I don't think it's a horrible thing, but I would much rather get on a stricter schedule. I hope it gets a bit better as I start getting used to it.

I planned on getting a weight training session in and also dinner, but life got in the way and had to take care of some things. I'm disappointed that the day didn't end as good as it started, but it is Day 1. I will do better tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 PM

Day #2
181.6 lbs
I really haven't been checking the scale religiously for the past couple of weeks, so I don't know if this is normal, but that seems like a lot of weight to lose in one day. 3 more lbs and I'm at my lowest weight since I was about 20 years old.

5:30am -
Hit snooze once and finally rolled out of bed before alarm went off. I once again scrambled around the house getting everything ready for the day. Last night was kind of hectic with kids' sports and laundry so I didn't have the preparation time. I also couldn't find my headphones this morning, which I was very worried about.

5:45am -
4 eggs (whites)
all natural salsa
16 oz water

My wife told me yesterday that I shouldn't be eating any carbs if I'm going to be doing cardio first thing in the morning. I decided to cut out the bread today. I wonder if this is enough of a pre-workout meal? Also, if I'm not supposed to be eating any carbs, is the salsa too much as well?

6:30am -
30 minutes on stairs - level 8-9

I started at level 9, and it was difficult. About 5 minutes in, I had to move it down to level 8. I had a much harder time with the stairs today than I did yesterday. If my friend hadn't come over and talked to me while I was on them, I might have quit before the 30 minutes were up. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't have any music or if my body is just feeling different today. Either way, I finished at 350 calories burned after 130 flights of stairs. I didn't have time for more cardio, so I will do some tonight with my weight training to compensate.

8am -
MuscleMilk Chocolate Milk flavored shake
12 oz. water

Tasted great again. I really like this shake. I hope it has everything in it that I need and nothing that I don't!!

11am -
1 rice cake
peanut butter

1pm -
2 fish tacos
black beans

I didn't have time last night to prepare my lunch, so I went out with friends from work. We went to Wahoo's and I had my favorite dish without the white rice.

4:15pm -
1 rice cake
peanut butter

I don't see this snack getting old since I love peanut butter. I should start inserting a bit of variety though.

6:30pm -
3 handfuls of chips

I was starting to get very hungry at my daughters' gymnastics practice, and found a bag of chips in my wife's car and proceeded to eat 3 large handfuls. I felt very guilty about it too.

8:30pm -
Back/Biceps workout

Pullups
DB Rows
Lat pulldowns
Seated rows
Incline DB curls
Barbell curls to failure
Barbell curl 21s

Finally got to the gym after 3 different kids' sports. I wouldn't have made it at all if it weren't for my daughter meeting with a choreographer at the gym that I work out at. I found Animal's bicep workout in the Workouts section, and it was GREAT!! It completely killed my arms. Just the kinds of workouts that I've been longing for.

10:30pm -
Chicken salad w/ noodles, wonton strips, with an oriental vinegarette dressing.

I ate waaaaay too late. It was a busy night once again and we decided to sit down and relax on a patio.

Day 2 is in the books and I have mixed feelings about it. My eating schedule was off again but I did get some good workouts in.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 PM

Day 3 and Day 4

My three oldest leave for Houston to visit my mom for a week on Day #4. That is taking up most of our time right now. I also don't work on Day #3, which usually jacks up any sort of routine because I never really do the same thing twice on my days off.

Day #3 (I'm doing this from memory on Day #5)

I did decent with my diet. The only questionable meal was dinner. We were running all day and didn't have time to make dinner. We ordered pizza and my wife and I had a few slices of thin crust veggie lover's. I was able to sneak off to the gym for a good cardio session, too.

Day #4 (Again from memory on Day #5)

This day wasn't so good, but I semi-expected it. My first 4 meals were good. I had my egg whites and whole wheat toast, rice cake with peanut butter, chicken breast and broccoli, and a protein shake. We took my daughters' to the airport and my son was pretty torn up about all his sisters leaving. My wife and I decided to take him to see a movie to help him cheer up. It definitely worked, but as a result, I ate theater popcorn for dinner. Not very happy about that. I also wasn't able to make it to the gym. I need to do some making for this day. The weigh in for the contest at work is Monday and I think I might slipped in the past few days.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Link is eating his greens
Light-Heavyweight

Hey, good to see you starting a journal. Keep at it, and once you've been doing it for awhile you will be able to go back on all your past entries and learn from them and how your body reacts to different things.

Now for some comments, MuscleMilk take it out, too much fat in it and wont help you cut down at all. So have one shake as a treat once in awhile but dont use it as a pwo shake, make a meal with protein/carbs and add a little dextrose. Get that diet down pat, so no handfulls of chips or eating out (which is alright but make sure you get what you think fits within your diet, if they dont have it, you can always go with the safe bet of grilled chicken salad dressing on the side. Most places will make this even if its not offered because its so simple.)

And finally, keep your priorities straight, I noticed you have children, so dont skip time with your kids cause you HAVE to go to the gym, who cares, spend as much time as you can with them (I missed out with my father, as he passed away recently, and I only wish I had spent more time with him).

Other then that keep at the journal I am interested to see your progress, and let me know if you got any questions Id be more than happy to answer anything to the best of my knowledge.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Thank you so much for the reply, Link.

I LOVE the idea of the journal. It will be a great tool to chart my progress, not just in the gym, but with my diet and time management, and a host of other things.

I was afraid that was going to be the case with MuscleMilk. It was waaaay too good to be true. The gym that I workout out has a shake bar and I've been using one of theirs for now. The diet is definitely going to be the hardest thing for me. I can't just go through my fridge and pantry and get rid of all of my favorite cheat foods because of my kids. We don't really keep a ton of bad food in the house because we keep it fairly healthy for our kids, but there is enough to tempt me regularly. I loaded up on stuff for me at Costco, so I'm hoping that having plenty of good food around will help keep me from temptation.

The best thing about this new hobby of mine is that it is truly a family affair. As a matter of fact, I'm the last one on board. All of my kids are exceptional athletes in their respective sports, and my wife has been training for a local fitness competition for a few months. Because of her interest and commitment, two of my daughters are also tossing around the idea of entering the same show in the kids' division. My youngest (finally had a boy!!) loves our new gym kids' play place so much, he asks us if we can go... Even though my wife and I don't do the same workout, the time we spend talking about our workouts, diet, our progress, etc. has been invaluable. I very much appreciate your concern in that regard. I'm actually exchanging this hobby with a different, very unhealthy one that was taking time away from my family, instead of creating more time with them.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Day #5

I'm finding that it is a challenge sticking to a schedule on the weekends. There is just too much going on around the house on these days. I don't think I'm going to worry about a strict schedule because I think I would be setting myself up for failure. Today is Sunday and we have some errands to run but my wife and I carved out 2 hours before the madness begins to go to the gym.

8am -
3 egg whites
1 piece of whole wheat toast
one protein muffin that my wife made

11:30am -
Workout

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Bench press
3 sets (10,8,6 reps) to failure

Incline bench press

DB flys
1 set of 10 reps to failure

Incline DB flys
1 set of 10 reps to failure

DB flys
1 set of 12 light weight reps

Seated DB press

Standing Lateral Raises

Tricep cable pressdowns

DB kickbacks

25 minutes on eliptical machine.

Its days like this that I really wish I had a workout partner. I injured my shoulder wrestling in high school and it has never been 100%, not even close really. There are certain exercises that are affected by my shoulder, and most chest exercises fall into that category. It doesn't really hurt, just very weak.

12:45pm -
PWO shake

3pm -

Hamburger w/o bun
Pasta salad with veggies
watermelon

I was at a good friend's daughter's birthday party for a few hours, and I think I made good choices. The hamburger is obviously a bit more calories and fat than I would like, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

5pm
Fish burrito from Wahoo's
black beans

We were going to a pizza joint with another couple and their son so I decided I better eat a decent meal before I got there so I wasn't hungry going in. Wahoo's makes great mahi tacos and burritos. My wife and I shared a fish burrito. I'll find out the number of calories, but my wife said that it was a good choice for us.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Link is eating his greens
Light-Heavyweight

What you could even do, is challenge your kids. Get them eating what you eat, and give them cheat meals (or days). Im sure they will look forward to the snacks and treats more often. Specially if their all in athletics, just let them know its in their best interest if they want to improve for their sport.

But keep going man!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually exchanging this hobby with a different, very unhealthy one that was taking time away from my family, instead of creating more time with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you man, family is where it's at!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, good to see you starting a journal. Keep at it, and once you've been doing it for awhile you will be able to go back on all your past entries and learn from them and how your body reacts to different things.

Now for some comments, MuscleMilk take it out, too much fat in it and wont help you cut down at all. So have one shake as a treat once in awhile but dont use it as a pwo shake, make a meal with protein/carbs and add a little dextrose. Get that diet down pat, so no handfulls of chips or eating out (which is alright but make sure you get what you think fits within your diet, if they dont have it, you can always go with the safe bet of grilled chicken salad dressing on the side. Most places will make this even if its not offered because its so simple.)

And finally, keep your priorities straight, I noticed you have children, so dont skip time with your kids cause you HAVE to go to the gym, who cares, spend as much time as you can with them (I missed out with my father, as he passed away recently, and I only wish I had spent more time with him).

Other then that keep at the journal I am interested to see your progress, and let me know if you got any questions Id be more than happy to answer anything to the best of my knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the spend time with kids thing is a good idea when i was 19 and dad was in hospital after second visit he said i've had enough (!@#$%^&*) off to the gym now lol