Flabby Calves - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
gsclarke should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Flabby Calves

Hi

I am near my target for getting rid of my fat and about size 8(UK) in skirts and trousers. I have excess flab still on my abdomen which I'm told will only go with a tummy tuck. Not going down that route though. At 56 I will stick there if I can't improve on it.

My big annoyance though, is flabby calves. They carry a combination of fat and muscle and are prone to water retention which it even worse.

I'm wondering how best to improve them.

Any ideas?

I've had a few starts and stops as I've flirted with weights but having CFIDS has held me back a bit. Back on track at the moment so I'd like to start addressing the calf thing.

I work out at home. I have a multi-gym and free weights but haven't really got a lower body routine yet although I've just started using Jari Loves DVD (squats and lunges etc.) after which I can feel most of my muscles but not my calves.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Flabby Calves

Hello

Welcome to ABC!

What most are going to tell you is that you just need to drop body fat. You are not going to get rid of flab from one spot (spot reduction). Or the difference will be minimal with any intervention. So you need to cut.

Second, you can make the muscle look more conditioned, and perhaps slight spot reduction. I'd advise sprints for this. For hypertrophy, see a recent post in training section on calves.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 AM
gsclarke should change his/her status!
Stranger

Thank you Venom.

I have cut a fair amount of fat and I'm facing opposition from friends and family, and even my GP, telling me I have gone far enough.

I get very frustrated with this 'cosmetic' philosophy based on peoples conception of 'slim' compared to the population as a whole. I keep saying I will pay attention to body fat percentage not peoples conception of whether I look 'skinny' in certains outfits.

I've made the decision to drop a few more lbs of body fat fairly slowly and frankly just see how I feel about it. Let's face it - it's not so hard to put it back on again if I don't like it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I will try the sprints. I understand I can't 'spot-reduce' but I'm hoping toning up will improve the wobbly appearance!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 PM

Ultimately you need to do what makes you happy - not other people. Try and get more positive bodybuilding influences in your life. Starting a journal on here would be a good start.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:02 AM
spider-man is BACK!!!!!!!! wait.... where'd i go?
Light-Heavyweight

Body-4-Life. Nuff said....
Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 AM
orpheia should change his/her status!

Squats and lunges are great for butt and thighs, but they really don't address calves, as you've noticed. I like killers (that's what they were called when I was in elementary school) for my calves. Basically, you stand with your feet together and go up on your tiptoes, then back down flat. Repeat. You will start to feel a burning in your calves after a couple of repetitions.

Also, putting your feet close together and then jumping lightly will produce a similar effect as killers, but might be harder on your joints, especially your ankles.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
Hello

Welcome to ABC!

What most are going to tell you is that you just need to drop body fat. You are not going to get rid of flab from one spot (spot reduction). Or the difference will be minimal with any intervention. So you need to cut.

Second, you can make the muscle look more conditioned, and perhaps slight spot reduction. I 'd advise sprints for this. For hypertrophy, see a recent post in training section on calves.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to hijack venom i am a believer that spot reduction may work in a fashion, if going on the theory that muscles become warm when exercised which in turn heat up the fat layer above giving the particles more energy and making them more usable by the body,

back to the calfs. cycling is great for calfs due to the consant half reps performed some of the best calfs in the world belong to cyclists
Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Yeah, I agree - I think it is possible to a certain extent. One thought I have is that certain adaptations such as enhanced mitochondria are specific to the body part trained, so you would think that would increase fat oxidation in those muscles.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 AM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

gsclark, As venom said you have to do what makes you happy. when I cut down everyone tried to get me to stop when I felt I had a little more to go. called me all the skinny names in the book. if you are doing it healthy then dont listen to them . it is just that they arent and dont have the motivation to so there natural thing for them to do is to make you stop so they dont feel bad......keep it up
Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree - I think it is possible to a certain extent. One thought I have is that certain adaptations such as enhanced mitochondria are specific to the body part trained, so you would think that would increase fat oxidation in those muscles.

[/ QUOTE ]

intesting, on a cellular level my theory is the mitochondria, being the cells power source would be able to metabolise the fat cells which have recieved heat from surrounding muscles worked easier than normal fat cells, or perhaps thee could be cell produced (over time from exercise) which are more suited to the use of fat as an energy source