New Here, Desperate for HELP! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
StacyMarie should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default New Here, Desperate for HELP!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out! I'm 30, mom of two kids (ages 9 and 2) and I have been trying for 9 years now to drop the 60+ pounds I need to lose.
Recently I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is closely linked with insulin resistance. I've been to endocrinologists and dieticians, as well as my regular doctors. No one seems to be able to do much to help me. I'm currently on Metformin and Topamax. I also take a multivitamin.
For the mostpart I stick to a high-protein, no refined carb diet, and have just added whey and soy protein shakes. This weight is stuck to me like ugly on an ape despite having been through four personal trainers and countless workout schedules at my gym.
I don't want to make this post too long, but I have several major issues. #1) when I do any kind of lifting my muscle growth is OUT of control. it's ugly, and my last trainer actually admitted that it was "freakish" and he had never seen a woman with biceps like that... no more weights for you, he said. #2) soon as I start my cardio my heart rate goes up to anywhere from 150-170 without any trouble, and I can keep it there for as long as I choose to continue to work out, so it's NOT a heart rate issue... or is it? my resting heart rate is around 58. #3) I tend to get pretty severe cramps in my legs when I'm working out. I have tried adding more salt, drinking red bull before I work out, and adding potassium to my diet, and none of these have helped. any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated!

Just as a sidenote, my cholesterol is about 120, my triglycerides are good, my good cholesterol is what my doctor calls "incredibly high" and my blood chemistry is "normal". I work out at a gym 4-6 days a week. Anybody got any ideas for me? I'd love to hear them!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: New Here, Desperate for HELP!

I am not familar with PCOS so take this how you will. Although i do not personally like the routine or the cost but PX90 does seem to work for ladies who build muscle fast and can get there heart rate up quickly. This will not make new muscle due to lack of recovery time and insufficiant calorie intake so it would probably suit you fine. I would try to find it bootleg if you know what i mean...cheaper that way. Hope this helps. Remember your muscle growth can be used to your advantage. Them more muscle the higher you metab...then higher your metab the faster you burn fat. Muslce is easy to lose fat is not.
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
StacyMarie should change his/her status!
Stranger

Funny you suggest that, I was just researching P90X when I found this site. My husband is trying to lose a few more pounds and was wondering about the best way to go about it. Seems like the P90X thing got less than kind reviews here, so we opted to try some of the programs here. Now I'm twice as confused as I started out! I'll see if I can find it though, I do know what you mean, it's pricey, especially if it doesn't work. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 PM
amino is probably eating
Lightweight

Hi SM,
I too am not familiar with you medical conditions. However, one thing that caught my attention was the 150-170 heart rate that you mention. That is WAY too high for optimal fat burning at your age & resting heart rate. You should be targeting closer to 135-145. Anything higher than that stars burning more carbohydrates as fuel; and you are interested in burning fat.

Also, as brightstar suggested, use that muscle mass to your fat burning advantage. It is much easier to loose fat when you are muscular. And it is much easier to loose muscle than it is fat.

Check out these articles & good luck!

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/VO2_Calculator.xls
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/cardiolayman.php

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/13wee...urningdiet.php
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/13wee...ingworkout.php
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/fat_loss_workout.php
Old 05-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

135-145 this is correct i agree. Nice threads Amino i didn't have time thnxs
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde
Old 05-07-2008, 12:22 AM
spider-man is BACK!!!!!!!! wait.... where'd i go?
Light-Heavyweight

a couple things from the spider lol:

fats are your friend (the good ones). They are not a swear word. Take some flax at the end of the day.... please, trust me they're not evil. They actually are helping me keep lean.

This will sound a little unorthodox too, but train like a big bad man would train. Serious. You wont look like a big scary man unless you eat like one, but you will see results quickly with the intense training. no matter what your trainer said. or just focus on the big body parts and dont train bis. plus, you don't have the hormones men do so you aren't capable of thier kind of growth anyways...

Dont do 'cardio only' workouts. And try taking about 10mg of chromium a day. it helps increase insulin sensitivity.

salt doesn't help with keeping cramps away.... its the potassium you want. Sodium is used in muscle contractions, not retractions. my legs cramp sometimes too, but mostly just my calves. What leg exercises are you doing, cuz i have never heard anyone cramping really bad on a leg press or squat, just stuff like hamstring curls....

and stay away from energy drinks there so terrible for you i have watching people drink those...
Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

It sounds like to may need to improve you insulin sensitivity.
Some major factors to improve it are:
engaging in a rigorous exercise program
eating enough fiber
consuming enough omega 3's, and other EFA's

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano