2008 - Swimming + Cutting = Getting Ready For Summer - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 12-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default 2008 - Swimming + Cutting = Getting Ready For Summer

Well, hopefully my 2nd attempt at planning a year's training goes better. Knee problems threw a wrench in 2007. I tried pushing through it when I should have rested. Hopefully I am a year older and wiser because of this experience.

THE BIG PICTURE:
I) January - March: Training for the TSC
II) April - June: Beach body
III) July and August: Enjoy the beach
IV) September - December: Deadlift -> Kettlebells

DETAILS

I)
Monday
Bar-bell side press
One arm bar-bell snatch
Conventional deadlifts

Wednesday
Kettlebell swings

Friday
Kettlebell side press
One arm kettlebell snatch
Romanian deadlifts

*Notes
**January will deadlift off a 1.5in platform.
**Will probably deadlift off the floor in February.
**May substitute one arm bar-bell clean and push presses for snatches in February.
**Will get a pull-up bar for home to work on those with low-intensity and high frequency.
**March will focus on event preparation by performing the deadlift, pull-ups, and snatches in series. Split may look something like this: Monday = test prep, Wednesday = kettlebell swings, Friday = assistance lifts
**May try a conservative cut during this period to reduce bodyweight and improve my pull-up performance.

II)
Need to really research what I am going to do diet wise during this period. I want to drop about 10lbs during the 12-weeks. My previous half-assed attempts at cutting have not worked. I am blessed with a very adaptive metabolism. Periods of excessive eating and low cardio activity levels rarely see significant increases in bodyweight. Likewise, planned eating and high cardio activity periods rarely see a significant decrease in bodyweight. Definately going to have to use a very planned cyclical approach to dieting.

Some Bar-bell work throughout

April: A lot of kettlebell lifting and some swimming

May and June: Increase the total amount of work with school out. Cut back some on the kettlebell lifting and incorporate more work for the biceps, abs, and calves which I completely neglect regularly. Increase the amount of swimming.

III)
No planning will go into this period whatsoever. Foresee a lot of work being done at the beach with a kettlebell and the monkey bars. 30 to 60-minutes of swimming 3 to 7 times per week.

IV)
Will see how phase I goes. Will probably do something very similar. When school becomes overwhelming will shift back towards more kettlebell training.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Boka should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: 2008

Hey Vamoose, how the new program treating you?

Certified Personal Trainer
Certified Kettlebell Instructor
Level 1 Crossfit Instructor
Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Middleweight

Haven't started yet. Begin once the high school returns from winter break. It's the only place I have to deadlift. Excited. They just got some brand new barbells, so I can do my one arm lifts on a straight barbell for once. I test my kettlebell lifts on Tuesday, then its some R & R over the holidays.

Just getting an early start on coming up with a plan right now. Phase I is complete, just started working on Phase II, the cut.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 12-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Middleweight

Changed the title for this Journal. Will definately be training for the Tactical Strength Challenge http://www.tacticalstrengthchallenge.com/ on April 5th, 2008.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Heavyweight

Good stuff Vamoose! So why are you going all the way to Minnesota for the TSC? Aren't there any gyms closer to your area that will be hosting one? I know that many Crossfit facilities usually host em.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
Good stuff Vamoose! So why are you going all the way to Minnesota for the TSC? Aren't there any gyms closer to your area that will be hosting one? I know that many Crossfit facilities usually host em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a few friends that are graduating this semester and moving to the Minneapolis area where the event is hosted. There's one a couple hours closer in Wisconsin, but being raised a Chicago sports fan I try to stay out of that state as much as possible. The middle of Michigan's Upper Peninsula is essentially the middle of nowhere.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Middleweight

Default Plan Changes

After tinkering around the past few weeks I have decided to make some changes. Barbell snatches were aggravated my knee so those have been dropped. Figured out how to work in pull-ups. Just going to focus on improving my form and generally strengthening the back this month. When school starts I will implement the "grease the groove" technique in between studying. Luckily all my classes are in the PE building.

Monday:
Pull-ups
Side Press
Deadlift
Bench Press
Curls
Ab work

Wednesday:
Chin-ups
Pull-downs
Shrugs
KB Swings
ss w/
Ab work

Friday
KB Press
KB Snatch
Romanian Deadlifts
Bench Press
Bodyweight Rows
Curls
Ab work

I will use a 3 set approach working up to a max effort set for most lifts. Will increase weight each week.

The deadlift and kettlebell work is the exception. Deadlift I will use a 5x3, 3x5, 1x8 approach. I will use a wave pattern for both the 5 and 8 set weeks. Will keep the reps per set constant this month for kettlebell work and increase total volume via an increase in sets. After 1 month I will increase the reps per set and cut the volume down during week 1 and again will increase the number of sets each week.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Heavyweight

Default Re: Plan Changes

Hey Vamoose how are the pull-ups coming along?

Old 01-05-2008, 02:33 AM
Middleweight

Default Re: Plan Changes

Haven't done many pull-ups, or much of anything the past couple weeks. Concentration of late has been on getting my diet in check to lose about 10lbs before the competition. Time will tell but I think I have things set up well.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Middleweight

Default Plan Progression

Monday:
Pull-ups: 3 sets
Side Press: 65, 3 sets, an increase in shot loading each week
Deadlift:
1) 295x5, 315x5, 335x5
2) 315x3, 335x3, 355x3, 325x3, 345x3
3) 335x1, 355x1, 375x1, 345x1, 365x1, 385x1, 355x1, 375x1
4) off
Bench Press
1) 145x8, 165x8, 185
2) 150x8, 170x8, 190
3) 155x8, 175x8, 195
4) off
Curls: 75, 3 sets, an increase in shot loading each week

Wednesday
Wide grip chin-ups: 3 sets
Pull-downs: 3 sets
Pull-downs partials: 3 sets

Barbell shrugs: 3 sets
ss w/
Dumbbell shrugs: 3 sets

1H swings:
1) 7(5)
2) 10(4)
3) 15(3)
4) off
ss w/
Medicine ball sit-ups (unilateral): 1 set

2H swings:
1) 35
2) 40
3) 45
4) off
ss w/
Medicine ball sit-ups (bilateral): 1 set

Friday:
KB press:
1) 4(6) [24 total]
2) 6(4) [24 total]
3) 8(3) [24 total]
4) off
KB snatch:
1) 6(6) [36 total]
2) 5(8) [40 total]
3) 4(11) [44 total]
4) off
Romanian Deadlifts:
1) 185x10, 205x10, 225
2) 205x10, 225x10, 245
3) 225x10, 245, 265
4) off
Bench Press: Monday + shot loading
Bodyweight rows: 3 sets, increase elevation of feet each week.
Curls: more shot loading