Annoying beginner - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 04-12-2008, 04:56 PM
redsandhand should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Annoying beginner

Hey everyone-

This is my first, but hopefully not my last, post here. I found this forum by reading a post titled "P90X: Scam or Real Deal?" [http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...umber=1115841], and was certainly impressed by the level of knowledge that I saw. I was myself thinking about buying P90x for a couple of reasons: (1) Because I want to get ripped (obviously), and (2) I don't really have the time to put into planning an effective workout (or the knowledge!). I'm a full-time student, and almost a complete beginner when it comes to weightlifting. A while ago I tried Bruce Lee's beginners routine ("Enter the Barbells" from "The Art of the Human Body") for about 6 months with almost no results (or maybe they were there and I couldn't feel them; I certainly FELT healthier).

You guys mentioned that one could put together an effective workout routine better than P90x on one's own, without having to spend all that $$$$, and I thoroughly believe you. What I would like to know is if you guys can give some advice on workout routines that will effectively get someone into a nice shape? I think my biggest problem last time was that I was doubling up workouts (too much of the same exercise hindering growth is what others have told me), and wasn't changing my routine enough. This is where my problem is, as I'm not really involved in the science of bodybuilding. I've taken a look at your forums, and they seem very technical, and I've gotten the feeling that most of you guys are attempting to get much bigger than I am attempting, but certainly you started from somewhere, and it seems plausible that given where you're at now, you would be able to come up with an extremely effective workout for someone who wants to look, not like Arnold, but more like <a href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/Anatomy_of_a_Male_Nude.jpg/398px-Anatomy_of_a_Male_Nude.jpg">this guy</a> I.e. not shooting too high, just want to be a healthy male.

I'm fairly skinny, so there isn't much fat to burn, but I AM in shape to a certain degree (some running, push-ups, sit-ups, and I eat healthy and don't drink much). So I guess my question (sorry for the lengthy preamble) is just what kind of things should I try to start including in my workout to reach my goals? I have dumbbells, and a bar, but how much weight should I start lifting, how frequently should I be changing weights, and what kind of weightlifting can I be doing to maximize results? I'm sure this information is out there on the internet, but it seems so varied that it's hard to determine what is correct information and what is nonsense. You guys seem to be authoritative, so I'm asking you.

I realize that nutrition plays a large role as well, and I've used several gainers (Cytogainer, Muscle Milks, etc), to very minimal results (if any at all): I just can't seem to gain weight. But I have told myself that if someone lifts weights in an effective manner, he HAS TO gain weight. It's a simple logical conclusion.

Alright, sorry if my first post was a little pathetic, but hopefully I'll be able to contribute something a little better in the future. Thanks for reading anyway!

Cheers!

Thomas
Old 05-04-2008, 06:00 AM
SoCal Prophet78 should change his/her status!

Default Re: Annoying beginner

Hey Bro, I just started posting myself, but this is one of the best sites I've ever seen. Go to workouts and check out the traing programs (and shocks, guides etc.), plus ABC is free!
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"-Edmund Burke