Study by Prez: Effect of carbohydrate-protein supplement timing on Muscle Damage - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Study by Prez: Effect of carbohydrate-protein supplement timing on Muscle Damage

http://www.jissn.com/content/5/1/5

Thanks for your great research, Jake!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
l0stsheep is practicing beginner's mind

Default Re: Study by Prez: Effect of carbohydrate-protein supplement timing on Muscle Damage

Thanks Jake!

It's interesting to see the differences between administering free aminos and whole protein sources.

Was this study only done once? I mean, I wonder if protein/carbohydrate supplementation would have a positive affect over a longer period of time, say numerous "workouts" compared to a control group.

A list of Forum Rules For ABCbodybuilding - Click Here For In Depth Bible Studies - ABC Store

"...Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death." -Philippians 1:20

Authentic Happiness
Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

Default Re: Study by Prez: Effect of carbohydrate-protein supplement timing on Muscle Damage

Awesome! Congrats Jake!!

So the only difference in the control, pre- and post- subjects was that the post- subjects had lower CK? However, all at the same MVC, soreness rating?

Also, this study studies levels of muscle damage, not recovery ( hypertrophy/hyperplasia ). I realize this was the purpose of the study, but I'm gonna go off on a tangent here...

Would there way to be a create a study that measures muscle recovery. Off the top of my head I cannot think of any chemicals/enzymes released into the plasma as a result of hypertrophy/hyperplasia occuring in the cell. All the studies that I have read show growth/recovery using physical measurements ( tape measurements, strength, etc. ) to show someone making gains as result of their variable.

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sometimes I get bored and for fun run CK's on myself in my lab, just to see how much tissue damage I was able to inflict. The highest I've seen my get up to w/n hours of training is about 1000U/L. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 AM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Jake!

It's interesting to see the differences between administering free aminos and whole protein sources.

Was this study only done once? I mean, I wonder if protein/carbohydrate supplementation would have a positive affect over a longer period of time, say numerous "workouts" compared to a control group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great question! Yes, this was an acute study on muscle tissue damage, but in terms of overall protein balance, I think the data is strong that having protein and carbs either pre or post would enhance say muscle growth. But from single day studies Tipton found no differences in protein balance when whole proteins were given before or after exercise, even though both were better than no supplement. WHile consuming free form amino acids do have a greater effect when administered before exercise as compared to after on protein synthesis.

I think its a matter of digestion rate and I want to do a study where we delay whey feedings before exercise. E.G. we give the whey say 45 minutes prior to exercise so they have time to digest

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 AM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome! Congrats Jake!!

So the only difference in the control, pre- and post- subjects was that the post- subjects had lower CK? However, all at the same MVC, soreness rating?

Also, this study studies levels of muscle damage, not recovery ( hypertrophy/hyperplasia ). I realize this was the purpose of the study, but I'm gonna go off on a tangent here...

Would there way to be a create a study that measures muscle recovery. Off the top of my head I cannot think of any chemicals/enzymes released into the plasma as a result of hypertrophy/hyperplasia occuring in the cell. All the studies that I have read show growth/recovery using physical measurements ( tape measurements, strength, etc. ) to show someone making gains as result of their variable.

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sometimes I get bored and for fun run CK's on myself in my lab, just to see how much tissue damage I was able to inflict. The highest I've seen my get up to w/n hours of training is about 1000U/L. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Muscle regeneration is my specialty!

There are a number of ways we can measure this. First, in terms of repair from a damaging protocol, as you are well aware
we can do our standard CK, soreness, and MVC protocols. In the study I am finishing analyzing now on HMB I am also using lactate dehydrogenase.

So predictably these levels will be lower following exercise and recover to baseline faster if the supplement or intervention is either (A) protecting against initial muscle damage by strengthening the integrity of the cell (B) speeding recovery

A second way is to actually measure markers of cell regeneration. For example in an up and comming animal study I am doing I will be looking at markers of cell cycle progression because we know that satellite cells actually dividing are important for muscle growth. I will also look at local growth factors like IGF which controls the activation of satellite cells, and I can look at say factors which actually hault cell cycle progression such as myostatin which does the opposite of IGF.
Of course we can also use direct techniques like like microscopy to actually view disruption of the muscle cell, and we will be using NMR analysis to view changes in the cell diameter.

But again, ultimately recovery and regeneration as measured by the variables we looked at in this study are a reflection of the measures I will look at in the animal model. By that I mean if
someone is recoverying faster, ultimately local growth factors are most likely responding to a greater extent, etc. etc.

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html