Amino Acids & Blood Clots - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 02-13-2008, 03:25 AM
dtg should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Amino Acids & Blood Clots

I'm writing this not so much to ask questions but to inform you of things I've learned over the last 18 months after suffering a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs) that luckily did not take my life; like many have been known to do.

I was 32 years old and in great shape... working out five days a week, dieting and supplementing well with Whey, Creatine, BCAAs... no illegal drugs, no smoking, no drinking, no genetic disorders.

For a few days I had shortness of breath, then I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a blood clot in my lungs. When I was admitted, they did another test (Doppler) and found a clot in my right leg as well.

After 6 months of additional testing, they concluded that I have what's called Antiphospholipid Syndrome, which is an autoimmune disease that makes the blood clot faster than normal. They said it's not hereditary, but something triggered it and now I have to be on blood thinners for probably the rest of my life.

I researched for months trying to find out what I did to cause this and the only thing that I could figure out was possibley the combination of aminos, creatine and whey.

However, I did not think that was it so I laid off the supplements (except whey) for a few months then about two months ago I started again (creatine, BCAA, L-glutamine, Vitamin C).

I normally get my blood checked every month to see what my INR level is to make sure the thinners are working properly. It has been very consistent (2.1 to 2.4) in the last several months but then the last time I checked it, it was 1.3 which is extremely low for me.

Again, I asked myself what could have caused this and concluded that the only difference in my diet is the supplements (i.e. creatine, bcaa).

I'm seeing the hemotologist in a couple of days and will ask, but I thought I would post this to a) inform everyone of my experience and b) see if anyone has had any experience of their own with this topic.

One last thing... there is significant studies showing that the amino acid homosysteine is linked to heart disease and blood clotting. This amino acid is formed by the body in its metabolism of other amino acids naturally occuring in high-protein foods.

Thoughts?
Working hard to get back in shape
Old 02-13-2008, 03:49 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Amino Acids & Blood Clots

I'm unaware of any evidence supporting the notion that aminos cause blood clots.

As for homeocystein, it is a bi-product of methionine metabolism, but can be converted back to methionine. This requires:

1. B 12 cobalamin (500 ug)
2. Folate (1000 ug)
3. Trimethylglycin (TMG) (1000 ug)

It can also get converted to the amino acid cysteine. This requires B6 (pyridoxine) (500 ug)

Up the dosage if side effects do not improve.

Take home message: as long as you have enough b vitamins, you should be fine as long as you don't consume insane amounts of methionine.

Have your homeocysteine measured if that is a concern.

Reference you may want to read:

Peter J. Garlick. The Nature of Human Hazards Associated with Excessive Intake of Amino Acids. J. Nutr. 134: 1633S1639S, 2004
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:01 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

dtg, I work in a clinical lab and run 10-30 PT/INR's every day. Coumadin (blood thinner) therapy is one of the most volatile drugs to monitor. Patients who do not change their dosage will see the INR jump all over the place from test to test, this makes it difficult for providers to treat with as they have to constantly change dosages.

An INR of 1.3 is normal, though slightly low for someone currently taking blood thinners. The INR is a calculation that is specific to every laboratory. 1.0 is the mean/average of normal patients in the demographic area.

Had it been a long time since you had taken your medication when you had the test performed?

Was the test performed in the lab or the clinic? I ask this because the small point-of-care analyzers the clinic's use have a much larger degree of error than those of the laboratory.

I would consult your physician as he/she is the only one with the "whole person" picture.

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM
dtg should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Thanks to both Venom and NJI for your feedback. In regards to Amino Acids and Vitamin B... I'm only taking 1 serving of additional BCAA's a day which does NOT contain methoinine. The amount of methoinine I'm getting is about 300mg per serving from my whey and I probably get about 6 to 8 servings a day for a total of ~2g per day of that stuff. I don't know how much Vitamin B and folic acid I need to metabolize that but I'm taking only 1 multivitamin daily, plus I'm eating lots of veggies... however zero fruit. I just had my annual physical and I'm awaiting the blood results, so I'll ask about my homosysteine level.

In regards to INR, I'm getting it done at the lab every month and it has been stable between 2.1 and 2.6 on the same dosage of Coumodin (15mg 6 days/wk + 10mg 1 day/wk) for the last 8 months or so. The last one I did was on December 21st and it was 2.1 then I did not go for about 6 weeks (lazied out) and when I had it done at the same lab on Feb 11th, it was 1.3. I had just worked out that morning and had just consumed my PWO shake.

The difference in my diet from Dec 21st (2.1 INR) to Feb 11th (1.3 INR) was that I had been cutting for that time and had been consuming a lot more green veggies than I usually do, which contain a lot of vitamin K... which reduces the effectiveness of the medication. I failed to mention that in my original post, but now that I think about it, I'm sure this was the culprit.

What do you think?
Working hard to get back in shape
Old 02-13-2008, 05:55 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

[ QUOTE ]
Warfarin (Coumadin) is a blood-thinning medication that helps treat and prevent blood clots. Certain foods can impair the effect of warfarin. For this reason, it's important to pay attention to your diet while taking this medication.

The main dietary concern related to taking warfarin has to do with the amount of vitamin K in your diet. Vitamin K plays an important role in blood clotting. Warfarin works to reduce clotting by diminishing the activity of vitamin K. Eating large amounts of vitamin K can counteract the benefits of warfarin.

Some doctors recommend a low-vitamin K diet for people taking warfarin. But the key is to be consistent about how much vitamin K you consume on a daily basis. Limit foods that are high in vitamin K

[/ QUOTE ]

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger