? Carb cycling and workouts - How to burn fat and not muscle - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 PM
ALLNO should change his/her status!

Default ? Carb cycling and workouts - How to burn fat and not muscle

Hi! I just started a new diet and exercise program where I am going to rotate two or three days low carb and one or two day high carbs. I am a little confused on what kind of workouts to do; weight training or cardio on what days. The purpose of the low carb days obviously is to get my body to start burning fat however I read that instense cardio on low carb days will make my body burn muscle instead of fat. But if I do weight training on the low carb days, want that have the same effect?

I just finished Jay Robb's fruit flush and lost 6 lbs. of water and crap I assume. But this has movtivated me to get back on track. Today I am eating low carb and the only exercise that I have been doing is tabata (running in place with ankle and hand weights.) I still want to incorporate tabata no matter what or some from of HIIT. Just want to make sure I do these very intense exercises on the right days.

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

You can do the workouts on either day. The majority of your carbohydrates should be utilized during breakfast, pre-workout and post-workout. So even on low carb days you'll be having some carbs around the time of you workout. You can also use protein and/or BCAAs/EAAs to prevent catabolism.

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 PM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

Alrite, I'm picky

How about some numbers to go with this

Exactly how many high and low days, what is considered high, and what is low, and would you throw a medium in there

Also, how many days do you lift/cardio, same day or different day?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

high days for training days, low days for non training, medium days for cardio or active recovery training days
Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
ALLNO should change his/her status!

Thanks for the replys. Lately I have been alternating low and high carb days - M, W, F are low carb high protein days. On these days I eat at least or try to eat 1 gram or more of protein per pound of body weight and keep my carbs low. I want at least 45% of my calories to come from protein, 30% from fat and 25% from carbs. On the high carb days - Tues, Thurs., I want 45% of my calories to come from carbs, 30% from protein, and 25% from fat. I eat alot of almonds, eggs from flax fed hens, and flax oil so most of my fat calories are coming from good fats. I take Sat. and Sun. off (which doesn't seem to be working out for me much.)