2008 - Swimming + Cutting = Getting Ready For Summer - Page 5 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default M -- March 3rd

Wow, discovered during the off week beneath the soreness I am beat up. Hopefully the 5 week taper leaves me fresh for the competition. Been drinking gallons of water as I transition off the diet and get by glycogen stores full again. Definitely need to do a better job of planning the transition off period for future cuts.

Pull-ups: 6 x 3

2H Curl & BUP: 8kg x 5
2H Clean & BUP: 12kg x 5
2H Clean & press: 16kg x 5
*3 sets

2 x 1H swing: 16kg x 20
Abs: 8+7
2H swing: 40kg x 20

1H press drop set: (rough)
32kg x 5
24kg x 7
16kg x 8

1H swing: 32kg x 20:
1H swing: 24kg x 20:
Finished with a ton of crunches

*Abs done with 6lb medicine ball
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- March 7th

I'm almost back up to my original weight. No problems though because my pull-ups have not suffered although they have stagnated, but I'm feeling recovered and ready to go in a month. Did kettlebell work after deadlifting for the first time. Hopefully I get better at this. With the explosive burst gone from deadlifting this was really tough. Snatch form was not too shabby though from mostly swinging the past month. 2 weeks from now I'm going to do the same thing except deadlifting from the floor. Have some ideas, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do next week. Will see how I'm feeling later this weekend.

Reverse band deadlift off 1.5in platform: 345-375-405-345-385-425-345-395-445 (minus purple band assistance)
Pull-ups: 10
KB snatch/swing: 5/10 x 3reps x 2sets
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 03-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Middleweight

Default Re: F -- March 7th

Most DOMS so far. Getting up and down out of chairs was a challenge today. Will try to get in a swim tomorrow if I feel up to it to get myself moving again. Will limit myself to 1 kettlebell workout this week plus daily pull-ups. Will wait until Wednesday and see how I feel then decide on what to do for the kettlebell workout. Need to test my snatch, but I am not sure if I have the intensity in me this week. Can cut down the next deadlift workout in 2 weeks to just 3-6 singles if I am slow to recover.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- March 21st

Deadlift: 6 singles (~503 on heaviest - band assistance off floor)
Pull-ups: 9
Chin-ups: 8
Neutral grip pull-ups: 6
KB snatch: ~95 in ~5-minutes w/ a 55lb kettlebell

Solid if not spectacular last workout. Snatches were a (!@#$%^&*), but I'll get more time in between the deadlift and the snatches in the competition. Went better than 2 weeks ago though I believe. 95 was just short of my goal of 100 with a slightly heavier kettlebell. I'm sure with my friends cheering me on I'll be able to hit 100. Pull-ups are hanging steady despite gaining back the weight I lost in the previous 2 months. Willing to trade a rep or two in the pull-ups if it helps my overall numbers with increased strength in the deadlift.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Middleweight

Default Re: F -- March 21st

I feel like (!@#$%^&*) today.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Middleweight

Default Post-comp plans

The last 3 months have taken a lot out of me. Hopefully I recover well in the next 2 weeks.

So the plan for after I compete is to take it nice and easy through the rest of the school year. I'll do some easy kettlebell workouts and focus on my upper body. Nothing will be done which stresses the low back whatsoever. I am also going to start swimming laps in the pool again in preparation for summer. I plan on going back to a mostly vegetarian diet as well. It will be nice not to worry about my protein intake or how it is affecting my muscle mass for a change. The past 3 months have been as mentally draining as they have been physically draining. I then have a couple weeks off before summer classes start. Hopefully I can do a backpacking trip with my brother and dad. At the very least I'll spend some quality time at home and then do a solo trip. So that means mid-May I start up again.

Goals:
1) Cut bodyfat
2) Make forearms huge
3) Finally get some biceps (been rockin' 14's for way too long)
4) Improve swimming endurance

Plan:
Swimming: M,W,F before teaching Senior Aqua Aerobics
Kettlebells: whenever I can
*bottom's up cleans and presses
*farmers walks
Chin-ups: whenever I can
Biceps day: start at 1x a week. Adjust accordingly. I hate every biceps exercise ever invented and curling after deadlifts just reinforces how much I hate curls. Time for a new approach.

Feels good to write that out and forget about the TSC for a moment.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- March 28th

Pull-ups: 9 legit + 1 w/ a kip
Abs: 3 sets

Productive day. Tore my abs apart and I almost got my goal of 10 pull-ups following 3 days of added resistance pull-ups. With a week of recovery I should be able to hit my goal of 10 in competition next Saturday.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Middleweight

Default Re: F -- March 28th

Monday's competition run through went solid. Pull-ups were off the charts explosive. Going to do a few with 20lbs added resistance on Wednesday. 99% confident I'll hit my goal of 10.

Here's what I'm thinking for when I get back from the competition.

Compound List:
*Pull-ups
*Dumb-bell bench press
*Chin-ups
*Dips
*Military press
*Cable rows

Isolation List
*Cable cross overs
*KB iron cross
*Tricep extensions
*Preacher curls
*Hammer curls
*Abs

I'm going to give it a quick run through when I get back and modify as needed before starting the program. I am going to be using what I am calling an escalating recovery method. I am going to start off the program by lifting on back to back days. Each time through I will add a recovery day. By the end of the month I am up to a week's recovery. Basically, I should cause a high degree of fatigue initially. As the recovery period becomes sufficient my strength should rebound. I'm hoping the initial high frequency training coupled with proper rest afterwards produces a significant growth stimulus.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Middleweight

Default The TSC is finally here!!!

Leaving for Minnesota tomorrow morning. Had a few friends bail out on me so I'm driving myself and a good friend. Meeting a couple of friends out there. Looking forward to it. Just hoping the drive doesn't tweak out my back. Hopefully stopping often and moving around a bit will help. Usually a mess after making the trip back home which is just as long, but I usually try to make good time and stop as little as possible.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The TSC is finally here!!!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.