2008 - Swimming + Cutting = Getting Ready For Summer - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Phase II

Decided to substitute leg curls for RDL's for phase II. Although they do not play a role in deadlifting I have not done leg curls in awhile so they may benefit me. But the real reason for the switch is I want to take some stress off the lower back. I am recovering pretty well during this week off but I can feel some accumulated fatigue in the lower back. Psyched to start back up tomorrow.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Middleweight

Default M -- February 4th

Today was kind of a half-assed first day back, but things will get ramped up in the next couple weeks here. Good news was I felt fresh. A little weak but not too bad after a week off. Weeks off usually kill me.

KB press: 4(7) (strict press through about set 5)
KB swings: 10(2) x 4sets
ss w/
Ab work: 10(1) x 3sets
DB bench press: 60,65,70 x 10
Leg curls: 3 sets
Arm curl machine: 3 sets
Hyperextension: 3 sets

Excited to see how easy deadlifting from the floor feels on Friday after 3 weeks off a platform.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Middleweight

Default Re: M -- February 4th

Weighed myself after breakfast and fully hydrated at 186.5 lbs. Will weigh myself Saturday morning to see where I am at with my glycogen stores up which they will be at competition. If the weight loss does not level off I should be able to hit 180-183 by March 5th (1 month out) when I up my calories to maintenance levels. Measured my bodyfat % the other day (finally) and I was 12% - 13%. After the competition I'm going to take it easy for a month and then go back to cutting once the semester ends.

Hamstrings and knee are a little beat up from testing my mile run yesterday, but I should be good by tomorrow. Did 45-minutes of walking and some extensive stretching afterwards, and I am feeling better already.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- February 8th

Everything went great today except deadlifts which were just OK. Probably from fatigue caused by that mile run on Wednesday.

Side press: 70x5 x 3sets (easy)
Deadlift: 325x5, 345x5, 365x5
Bench press: 175x5, 185x5, 195x5 (had another rep left in the tank)
Barbell curls: 65x10 x 3sets

Started a little late. Today the kids were doing power cleans so a lot of coaching had to be done before I got my work in. Decided to skip abs so that I can properly inflict some pain upon them tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Middleweight

Default M -- February 11th

Awesome workout today!

Had an afternoon date yesterday at a cafe. One strong cup of Joe means I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. Getting to bed wasn't too bad but I woke up at 3am and had no chance in hell at getting back to sleep. It seems like I always have great workouts when I get 4 hours of sleep or less going in. When I get that little sleep after a workout it takes a very long time to recover, so I'm aiming to be asleep by pm tonight.

(Off topic, date went absolutely awesome. Got a "You should definitely call me this weekend on the way back to the car." Being in an a great mood played a role in today's great workout as well I am sure.)

Could tell that I'm tired though. Forgot to do dumb-bell bench press, so I'll get that tomorrow morning. Also, did swings before presses today.

Pull-ups: 8 (touched chest no problem on the first few. solid neck touch thereafter)
KB swings: 10(3) x 3sets
ss w/
1) Leg raise w/ circular medicine ball pass: 15(1)
2) Leg raise w/ double medicine ball touch: 15; sit-ups w/ double medicine ball touch: (a lot of em')
KB press: 5(5) (I think. Lost count being kind of out of it after KB swings. May have been only 4 sets or up to 6 sets.
Leg curls: 225x10, 255x10, 285x10 (not that real weight, but thats what it would be if a bar-bell was loaded with the same plates on both sides. easiest way to keep track of it.)
Preacher curls: 3 sets (2 narrow, 1 wide with EZ bar)
Hyperextensions: 3 sets (18 on the first)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Middleweight

Default Target Weight Reached

Heck yeah! Just weighed myself. 185 on the dot. Granted I'm probably a little dehydrated, but I think having a full belly means that's a wash. 4 weeks ahead of schedule. Have my sights set on 180 now.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Middleweight

Default T -- February 12th

Dumb-bell bench press: 65,70,75 x 8

Feeling much better after a solid 9 hours of sleep last night.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- February 15th

2nd lousy deadlift day in a row. Will drop leg curls and hyperextensions on Monday and see if that makes a difference. Everything else went well, so I'm doubtful its associated with the diet.

Side press: 70+, x5reps, x3sets
Deadlift: 325x3, 355x3, 385x3, 335x3, 365x3
DB BP: 70,75,80x6
Curls: 65+, 10,10,12
Abs: 2 sets
Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Middleweight

Default M -- February 18th

Weighed myself today. 182.5. This could be the reason my last 2 deadlift sessions have sucked. Weight loss is going a little quicker than I wanted, and I'm sure I'm losing some muscle. The good news is I've almost reached my pull-ups goal with 6 weeks to spare. Hoping a change to a maintenance diet has a rebound affect on my deadlift performance.

Pull-ups: 9
KB press: 8(3)
KB swing: 10(5) x 2sets
ss w/
Ab work: 2sets
DB BP: 60x10, 65x10, 70x12
Preacher curls: 3sets
Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- February 22nd

Hoo-Ah! 10lb deadlift PR. Eliminating hyperextensions and leg curls from the routine paid dividends. Managed to get 425 up with a struggle. May have had a chance at 430, but 435 was probably out of the question. Have 6 weeks to let my low back recover a bit and overload the lockout with reverse band deadlifts.

Pull-ups: 10,7,7
Side press: 70+, x5reps, x3sets (time for 75)
Deadlift: 345-375-405-345-385-425-345-395
Dumb-bell bench press: 65x8, 70x8, 75x11
Bar-bell curls: 65+ x 10,10,13 (time for 70)
Abs: 3 sets