Middleweight

Default F -- January 18th

Today kind of sucked

Good news:
7 Pull-ups
70x5 for all 3 sets side press
Hit all my deadlift sets

Bad news:
Lacked explosiveness from the floor because I was struggling with my grip due to the exposed areas of skin
Bench press sucked after a great Tuesday. I use a very narrow grip for bench press because a normal grip tends to flare up my shoulder. Going to do the dumb-bell version on Mondays from now on.
I'm done using chalk on my kettlebell until I lose my grip and break something of value.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 01-19-2008, 01:06 AM
bigpapa2126 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: F -- January 18th

Hey Vamoose...how would you say you improved your grip the most? I'm just starting lifts like the deadlift and I noticed having a weak grip sucks.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 AM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Things that have benefited my grip most
1. kettlebell snatches
2. kettlebell swings
3. deadlifts
4. pull-ups

Learn how to deadlift with a hook grip to develop thumb strength.

Farmer's walks with stuff you can find laying around is a good way to strengthen your grip during the summer. I usually spend a few months a year where I work a lot with stones, plywood, cinder blocks, tires, and kegs. Pinch grip farmer's walks with two pairs of 2' x 2', 3/4" plywood is a favorite.

I'm in the early phases of experimenting with farmer's walks using only a few fingers. Do not have a place where I can go heavy with these so I was going to go light and emphasize each finger individually.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon
Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 AM
Rookie

I live in Florida, so I can do the walks year round. I started doing plate pinches while walking, so i'll walk around the driveway holding 45s. I've also heard that there are strength training grippers you can buy.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:42 AM
Rookie

"Experience has shown us that athlete’s who use this grip can lift heavier than athletes who use the closed grip. Therefore for the long-term development of the athlete if they begin using the hook grip when training then their grip strength will be stronger."

I found this online. Solid info man, i'll start working on it. Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Middleweight

Default M -- January 21st

KB press: 12-6
1H swings: 10(4)
ss w/
Leg raises: 5(4)
RDL's: 205x8, 225x8, 245x7+2
Pull-ups: max 7
DB BP: 60,65,70 x 10
Hammer curls: 3 sets
2H swings: 20(4)
ss w/
Sit-ups: 10(4)

Glad I squeezed this workout in between classes today so I have 3 days off to recover. On Friday I do 8 deadlift singles. Rest paused 2 additional RDL's. Forgot chalk so my grip was struggling. Hamstrings no problem. Grip is still suffering from tearing off a lot of skin last Tuesday. Went snowshoeing on Saturday which drained me a bit, but not too much. Other than that did not do much cardio. Will try to get more this week and weekend.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Middleweight

Default F -- January 25th

Did not write everything down but the highlights were:

Side Press:70x5 for all 3 sets (almost no side bending cheating today = time to add on some weight)
Deadlift: 335-355-375-345-365-385-345-375-405 (singles)
Bench press: 165x8, 175x8, 185x8
Curls: 65x9,9,8

Today was flat out awesome. Going in my hopes were that I would pull 385 without a struggle. The thing flew up, so I decided to try an unplanned 405 single at the end...the thing didn't exactly fly up there but the was no sticking point, no struggle. Recent bests on the close grip bench press and the bar-bell curls.

The deadlift performance was arguably the best work I have done since my squatting days. I absolutely psyched myself up for the 405 pull. I think I put 2 and 2 together. I was so good at squatting in high school because I used to stare myself dead in the eye and go through my whole routine to get pumped up. Hopefully there's a mirror at the TSC competition.

Off for the week. Pull from the floor for 3 weeks after that. Weight loss has plateaued a bit, so I bought more vegetables than nuts this trip to the grocery store. Going to rely more heavily on salads at work this month.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Middleweight

Default Yesterday was a PR

I looked back at my 2007 journal. Last time I pulled off a 1.5in platform I describe 395 as being brutal. Also mention fatigue at that point, but I smoked 405 yesterday.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 AM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

Default Re: Yesterday was a PR

[ QUOTE ]
Today was flat out awesome. Going in my hopes were that I would pull 385 without a struggle. The thing flew up, so I decided to try an unplanned 405 single at the end...the thing didn't exactly fly up there but the was no sticking point, no struggle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome!!

You're tearing the gym down! Journals are a great motivator when you look back and see how you have progressed!

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 01-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Middleweight

Default Phase II

Here's the plan: (+ "Grease the Groove" for pull-ups, ab work, and cardio for weight loss)

Monday:
KB press:
week 1: 4(7)
week 2: 5(5)
week 3: 8(3)
KB 1H swings:
week 1: 10(2) x 4
week 2: 10(3) x 3
week 3: 10(4) x 2
RDL:
week 1: 175x10, 195x10, 215xMAX
week 2: 195x8, 215x8, 235xMAX
week 3: 215x6, 235x6, 255xMAX
Dumb-bell bench press:
60x10, 65x10, 70x10 (+microloads)
Preacher curls:

Friday:
Side press: 70+(microloads) x 5, 3 sets
Deadlift:
week 1: 325x5, 345x5, 365x5
week 2: 345x3, 365x3, 385x3, 355x3, 375x3
week 3: 345-375-405-355-385-415-355-395-(425?)
Bench press:
week 1: 165x8, 175x8, 185x8 +(microloads)
Bar-bell curls:

Psyched for this month's training.